Roger L. Simon

How Conservatives Can Take Back (Some of) Hollywood for Oscar Time

February 28th, 2014 - 12:10 am
game_over_hollywood_sign_2-27-14-1

If conservatives give up Hollywood, they give up the country. Game over.

It’s Oscar time again and, since I’m one of the half-dozen or so Academy voters to the right of Trotsky (okay, a little exaggeration there, but not much), I am often called upon to write something about it (and give my predictions) for the likes of PJM, National Review or City Journal.

But every time I do, especially here, I get a slew of comments, sometimes dozens, reading to the effect: “I hate Hollywood. I haven’t seen one of their putrid biased movies since a. The Marx Brothers’ Coconuts, b. The Best Years of Our Lives or c. when Rock Hudson and Doris Day were still in the closet.”

Well, good for you, I say. We should all do what we want with our spare time and Lord knows there are better things to do with it than watch banal liberal propaganda. Have a good time playing Chinese checkers or reading Burke — whatever, as they say, floats your boat.

But as you run your personal boycott of Hollywood, remember this. Almost everyone else you know — be it family, friends, business associates and, most especially, your children — is not. They are consuming Hollywood entertainment in mammoth gulps. And politics, as the late Andrew Breitbart said repeatedly (and he was far from the only one), is downstream of culture.

You give up Hollywood and you give up the country. Game over. And as we all know, it’s almost over already. Want that? Well, if you do, you can skip the rest of this article.

So… for those of you that are left… now more than ever is the time for conservatives and libertarians to take back at least some of the entertainment industry. Someone recently told me that Hollywood is like one of those football blowouts with a score of 90 for the liberals and 10 for the conservatives. We have to try to make it at least 70-30 (still a blowout, but there’s a glimmer of hope).

A few years back there was a financial and critical success called "The Blind Side," with Sandra Bullock. She played a rich, white, Christian, southern, NRA-member conservative and she was the hero of the film. It was based on a true story, and I liked how the filmmakers kept the source of her husband's wealth--a chain of Taco Bells!--instead of making him an architect or some other cliche'd career they portray in movies.

All is not lost.
I get what your saying Roger but - aside from consuming the few quality products your industry makes - what else do you want of from us? Exactly who are you trying to rally? It seems to me the limiting factors all reside within your industry.

The evidence has shown time and again that movies that are conservative-themed (not preachy) out-sell leftist slanted movies consistently, right? Yet business success be damned apparently - leftists are a committed bunch and will devote their careers toward their ideals - you have to give them that.

In contrast, right-leaning Hollywood types meet in secret and fear for their jobs. Are there enough of them that if they went Galt it would be noticed?

If not, then maybe they take a page from Roger Ailes, band together and establish an alternative studio and capture the conservative audience.
For me, facing an existential threat means surrender is not an option.

The small c communists spent 46 years infiltrating, invading, infecting and indoctrinating the mass media, academia and entertainment.

All the places people go to get information and form their social, political and cultural positions.

We slumbered through this and the resistance was meek, tepid, limp, lame and absent direction, organization, leadership and cohesion.

Any coward can talk big and surrender when the first bullet flies. Saddam talked about the Mother of All Wars...and we watched terrified Iraqis surrender to CNN crews in tears on their knees.

Taking back a culture that was allowed to be infested with hard leftist propaganda for nearly a half century is not something for the dull, the dim and the easily defeated. The tantrum throwers, the instant gratification crowd who want their Maypo and want it now!

It takes strategy and tactics to win a war you have been handed with a 46 year head start for the enemy.

Freedom takes gladiators, not Gladiolas.

Roger Simon is a hero. He started this place and he fights like Spartacus in one of the toughest arenas, announcing that he is Blacklisting Himself. That takes guts. Chutzpah. Nerve. COURAGE. Anyone who attacks him for doing so is either a fool or an asshat. I will ALWAYS step in front of that and so should every man or woman of honor.

HE is the reason I spend my time here. He deserves our thanks and praise and admiration.

Andrew Breitbart and Michael Walsh went after media. No better gladiator has existed in that arena. It took guts and those two filled the rafters with admirers. We can't thank them enough.

David Horowitz took on academia. Raced INTO the fire.

If you don't recognize the time to stand up and say "I'm Spartacus", then sit down, suck your thumb and let those who have a pair do the work for you of saving this nation you aren't willing to defend for you countrymen, for your family or for your heirs.
It is not that movies made in Hollywood are leftwing propaganda, I am just not entertained or inspired. Movies made in the 21st Century are simply boring to me. The dialog is dumbed down to the level of the 4th grade. Predictability is baked in. Special effects are not believable or special. The funny papers have better plots. Your point is very good. In the end the world will get will it deserves and I will continue to watch TCM.
Roger,
Take back Hollywood? A bit late I would say. Look at this: http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywood/2014/02/28/non-stop-review-neeson-thriller-new-left-wing-low . This apparently stands the world on its head - as we have, unfortunately, come to expect from Hollywood.
Based on the description, it sounded like Ron Paul could have written the script.
That is simply unbelievable.

I would encourage anyone considering see that movie to read the article.
I saw a Mike and Molly episode, the one where she quit teaching, and it was a total mockery of teachers' unions and their support of bad teachers, with no care for the kids. It was hilarious. So I put it on the DVR!

This is what cons need to do: slip in a lesson where you can, but be funny, be interesting.
This is a great piece full of truth and courage.
Good Work, Roger,

I wish we could see your video essays again. Even with the redoubtable "Trifecta" crew, PJTV is running thin.

Best,

Charlie
For those wanting to make conservative movies, checkout the Moving Picture Institute (promoting freedom through film at www.movingpictureinstitute.org )which is tackling this very subject of educating audiences while entertaining them with films like The Cartel, Honor Flight, Battle for Brooklyn, U.N. Me, and The Machine. They might be interested in your screenplays.
Every Conservative should read Ben Shapiro's Primetime Propaganda.
"Victimology, as Larry Elder has told us countless times, doesn’t work for minorities and it doesn’t work for Hollywood conservatives for similar reasons."

That is right AND wrong. For minorities, it doesn't work in that it has zero effect on any underlying problems. It DOES work for the SAME reason, and their leaders gain power and money that way.

It doesn't work for us conservatives because our rights are trumped by the neediest minorities. Leftists don't care one bit about our rights.
I wrote a treatment that had what I consider to be very soft undertones that some might see as "religious".

I had intended it originally to be a short piece of fiction, maybe a novella. One of my closest friends convinced me to write a treatment for him on it and he submitted that to his contacts. I was stunned to discover that it was well received as "high concept". I was asked to write a longer treatment, having never done so...I was and am reluctant.

I almost thought about asking Roger for help, guidance, assistance...but I did not.

I'm still not convinced of its "acceptability" or "reach" or "worthiness".

It is that halting, hesitant, balking...that I know let's the leftists win. In my "comfort zone" I have been and remain...a warrior. Yet, outside of that comfort zone..I tread so lightly as to not leave a footprint.

It is for that reason that I call Roger and Michael Walsh and Horowitz heroes.

They sought to abandon comfort in order to obtain it for others.
I know where you are coming from CF. In 2000 I wrote a screenplay that was informed by my experiences working on Wall St. I gave it to my friends, many of whom worked in the film (on the technical side) and they all loved it. But the problem wasn't merely that I was too comfortable doing what I was already doing. It was that I could not imagine working steadily in leftist Hollywood. I mean AT ALL.

You see, I, like you, hate leftists. Hate them with a burning passion for what they have done to our country, our culture, and the minds of so many of our citizens. I can barely imagine myself being in the same room without throttling them forget about working cooperatively with them. And after years of self-reflection I have come to realize that it was this vehement hatred which blocked me from pursuing a very real opportunity that is now probably long gone.

But, here is the thing, which I put out there for your consideration. The last five years I have been working for an advertising company and have the occasion to interact with several dozen Hollyweird and news media people. Famous ones who you would immediately know. And I have found that, invariably, they are courteous and professional and yes even decent people. Want a mind blower? I have mocked out Obama while chatting with Spike Lee. Have hung out with Rachel F-ing Maddow (and her dyke girl friends) and found them to be among the friendly and down to earth people I have ever met. Martin Bashir is probably the most courteous and kindhearted man I have met in many years. (I know you'll all choke on that but it is true.) There are a dozen others who would be at least as surprising, but I hope I have made my point.

I let my outrage, and my own hatred, stop me from pursuing something that might have been very good for me. I made boogeymen, demons even, out of people who are in many ways, as nice as any conservative I have ever met, though I still don't get why they have such hostility for our country. Maybe my own experiences somewhat pertain to your circumstances, maybe not. But you are a very talented guy (I've observed your comments with admiration for many years now) and if you produced quality work you could survive within "their" industry. I wish that I had known that when I was younger. Good luck, and just stay away from Sean Penn and you'll be alright.
If a door opens in an area that your dreams had hoped, and yet there is fear over walking through the door, that fear is not from G-d. That fear is not from you either. That fear is from the enemy, and it is in part the enemy's fear of you.
You're right, of course, fortibus. I also have written a
number of songs that also have layered and subtle undertones and have been equally hesitant. I'm out of my element, so the unknown requires a leap of faith.
The other part of the equation is that if there is a vision that has been put on your heart, and it does not go away, it is most likely from G-d.

So if the vision is from G-d, and the opposition is from the enemy, pray to confirm, and then leap! God bless.
If we don't rally in support of one another and steel ourselves for a real fight...we will just allow them to win. They are great at this game. They overwhelm in the face of mediocraty. The 'Right' fails to get the dynamic. They expect a 'fair fight'. Seriously? We better get with the program or ALL will be lost without a whimper. Sad.
1 2 3 4 5 Next View All