Roger L. Simon

The Oscars Have No ‘Lone Survivor’

January 16th, 2014 - 6:00 pm

lone_survivor_poster_1-16-14-2

I probably shouldn’t say this, since I have some good friends who are film critics, but I don’t think movie reviewing is a very high calling. It’s based on the premise that someone’s opinion is somehow “better” or “more accurate” than someone else’s. Really? We’re all just members of the audience and entitled to our reactions to an art work. None of us is superior in that way.

Of course, I’m a hypocrite because I read reviews myself and crave good reviews when I write a book or a film. I’ve even been known to do a little reviewing of my own of a sort, although I attempted to do it from the supposedly empathic position of a fellow filmmaker. Nevertheless I always found something vaguely creepy about the process. My reaction to a snotty review is often if you don’t like the movie, why don’t you make one yourself? Show us how it’s done. (A few have done that in the past — James Agee who wrote the script for The African Queen, Truffaut and some other members of the French New Wave — but not many.)

The most obvious and revealing thing about a movie review is most often the bias of the reviewer — something all of us have and some reviewers have in spades.

I was thinking about that this morning while perusing the Oscar nominations for this year. As an Academy member, I had voted but did not see my number one selection for Best Picture — Lone Survivor — anywhere on the list of the nine nominees. I can’t say I was surprised. Lone Survivor is a patriotic film and patriotism isn’t high on the list of positive traits for Hollywood these days, except perhaps to that group of once-secret outliers known as the Friends of Abe.

The closed minded narcissist reviews for closed minded narcissists retread, stale and trite stories played by closed minded narcissists, written by closed minded narcissists and directed by closed minded narcissists.

The themes mirror the same plot lines. Radical leftism comes in to save America from greedy, misogynist, racist, homophobic free market, Constitutional, Judeo-Christian democracies and their patriots. Rinse, repeat, gag.

The "speeches" are almost always cringeworthy, stupefyingly bereft of coherence, articulation of any interesting thought, long-winded stutterings of ignorant parrots...wanting another cracker for their mindless fealty to an echo Chamber of seditionist fools.

Not content to bore the world with trite tripe yet another year, they hold 46372757 "awards" for "best" hand grip on false morality, lockstep drivel and their own and others genitalia.

The stammering class dress up on a red carpet...fittingly...the men in tuxes and untied gym shoes and the women in varying stages of exposure, preening for cameras and desperate for attention.

Treason, sedition, propaganda, and closed minded narcissism packaged in an overly long spectacle of stuttering and stammering speeches by a bunch of traitors who can't put two sentences together without a script and a Teleprompter or cue cards.

What's not to like? You can change a cesspool into potable water...but why bother? The very thought of it is disgusting.
The Academy Awards seem little more than a Circle Jerk by the in crowd.
"jingoistic snuff film"

How did such moral monsters come to be the voice of the arts? Deranged moralities, judgments, lives. It’s a matched set.
as Emma answered I'm impressed that people able to get paid $5941 in four weeks on the computer. i was reading this >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>http://goo.gl/ir34zP
i seem to remember a proliferation of jingoistic snuff films back in the early and mid oughts. They generally consisted of the victim on their knees saying or reading some propaganda and then having their head cut off with a hand held blade, as the phrase allah akbar was repeated.

you see a snuff film is an actual killing caught on film, as opposed to a bunch of actors acting like they died or killed something. The hyperbole is informative, but more so about the writer than the subject.
I used to love to watch the Oscars...now you could not pay me to sit through hours of that nonsense. I can not even remember the last time I went to a theater to see a movie. Hollywood ruined it for me.
Owing to Hollywood's WARPED leftist perspective I DO NOT watch the OSCARS. Concomitantly, I DO NOT go to the MOVIES.

A clueless elite misdiagnosing the wonder of America by forced progressive pabulum forced down our throats is nothing less than the last reaches of a decaying traitor class.

Is anyone in America surprised that the OSCAR's failed to grasp the genuine call of freedom that we agree is worth putting one's life on the line to defend and preserve---as depicted in Sole Survivor?
Don't watch many movies anymore. Cracked the code about twenty years ago and got tired of having my brain washed.

Some things in life weren't politicized in the 50's. No era is perfect, but that one was better than this one.
We watched Hubby's screener of this worthwhile film at home last weekend, (he's a member of the Visual Effects Society, so the screeners start arriving in December). I thought this was a VERY well done movie on ALL counts. I especially LOVED the cinematography in the scenes where the SEALS were falling down the rugged terrain...I felt like I was falling with them...BEAUTIFULLY shot!! You get (what appeared to me to be) a very accurate description of the dilemmas faced by troops who are cut off from communicating with their base & the sheer terror of "winging it" & hoping for the best. I believe that the Academy snubbed this film for a much simpler reason than it makes the military look good. I think they HATED that it made Mark Wahlberg look good. He's one of today's Actors that they "love to hate"!!
Amy Nicholson is wrong. She is too ignorant to know how wrong she is. I don't know if there were 10 enemy, 20 or 30.

I do know the Seal Team gave up surprise and much initiative. When the have their rules of engagement and let civilians report their positions, the Taliban received a spot report (SALUTE). They also knew the area better.

Has Amy Nicholson read much military history, studied military science, played a military board game or been in the military. Amy in unqualified to calculate the odds.
"My reaction to a snotty review is often if you don’t like the movie, why don’t you make one yourself?"

And Samuel Johnson's reaction to that (pretty impressively apt, since he's been dead a while) was...

"You may abuse a tragedy, though you cannot write one. You may scold a carpenter who has made you a bad table, though you cannot make a table. It is not your trade to make tables."

The movie is being put before the paying public as entertainment, but, if it dismally fails to entertain, do the members of the public get their groats back? Do they hell. In Johnson's day, the cast of a really atrocious "tragedy" risked being pelted off stage. That's not something likely to be experienced by any contemporary movie-maker.
I read the book and I`ll see the film. If the numbers of enemy troops (term used loosely) was embellished I`d dare say it wasn`t by much. Bless the Lone Survivor for making it out of there and fit enough to fight another day.
Lone Survivor is the best film of the year. If you don't have a tear in your eye by the end, you haven't a heart.It will take those that served back and those that didn't will get a very realistic look/feel what it's like. I don't usually like Wahlberg, but in this movie he put his heart into it. This is just the true telling of survival against unbelievable odds. How a decision changed lives. It's not another administration butt-kissing like "Zero Dark Thirty" is. Nor is it an attack our soldiers as "The Hurt Locker" was. And this is why liberals don't like it. What a long fall they are in for.
Jeeeze. Can't anything please you guys. We gave "Hurt Locker" a Best Picture Oscar to show you our appreciation for everything you endured in the well intentioned but lie enabled and horribly misguided Iraq war. That ought to keep you unemployable, stupid trogs happy for at least a couple of decades.
We? You silly eggplant. You're exactly the type of selfish, coward clown he's describing. How's LA kumquat?
1 2 3 4 5 Next View All