10 Reasons to Give Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. a Chance

Something remarkable is being attempted here, and you really ought to give it a look.

Walter Hudson

July 18, 2014 - 8:00 am

Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. has taken a lot of flak, even before it premiered. PJM’s own Scott Ott declared “no interest” in the series despite loving its source material. I confess to holding my own doubts regarding a superhero show without superheroes. However, unlike Ott, I was willing to give the series a chance. After watching the first season in its entirety, I’m glad I did. Here are 10 reasons to take a look at Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

10. Cinematic Action

Certain shows have come along in recent years to demonstrate that the small screen can nonetheless explode with cinematic action. Syfy’s Battlestar Galactica comes to mind, a genre show which looked better than many films from past years.

Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. makes a similar case for the possibilities of televised entertainment. In essence, it’s an international spy thriller, much of which takes place in the enormous aircraft our heroes call home. The special effects, while lackluster here and there, largely do justice to their Marvel cinematic pedigree.

Now if we can just get a live-action Star Wars series, life will be good.

It was too bland for the first half of the season, but improved greatly with tighter serialization, more action, stronger cross-over with the rest of the Marvel universe, and some interesting twists. ABC shifted its timeslot from 8pm to 9pm for the next season, so maybe that will help with some of the residual blandness (I'm not saying it needs to be darker, but 8pm on the Disney network makes it hard to develop any edge).

Coulson and May are great characters while Ward and Skye improved greatly later in the series. But the two Brit-nerds are so twee – they are so Whedon-esque as to be caricatures.
I was neutral on Agents of Shield when they started. That went away rapidly.

1) Nobody in Shield can trust anybody else in Shield. There are no good guys in the series that can be trusted to stay good. And I have worked for and dealt with the government long enough to know that bad guys in government never turn good. It is beyond suspension of disbelief. Mind you, I can handle the occasional Norse god dropping in as part of the plot line. So that is how unbelievable and unlikeable Shield is.

2) Any covert organization that has been so thoroughly penetrated as Shield has been by Hydra has, by definition, lost. It cannot be rebuilt. It needs to be destroyed, root and branch, with a casualty level of 100% and a new, totally separate, organization built.

3) Despite Firefly and Serenity, and despite being an extremely talented producer/director/writer; Joss Whedon at heart is a loyal Alliance citizen. In his created world, Shield is contemptuous of individual freedom, the Constitution, and rights being inherent in the individual. We are living that now, and it is hard to tell either the corrupt and penetrated Shield, from Hydra, from the US government. Why would I waste my time viewing their show and giving them the demographics for the commercials that puts money in their pockets?

4) Then there is the matter of what Marvel is doing to the Marvel Universe as a whole. As I have said, I can handle a fictional world with Norse gods and superheroes; and accept its internal logic for amusement. However, purely for the sake of Leftist Political Correctness; Marvel is suddenly making Captain America Black, making Thor female, and I shudder to think what chapters of Krafft-Ebbing are going to apply to the Guardians of the Galaxy. Eventually, that is going to slop over into the TV show.

I get enough propaganda; although this is Socialist Fantasy instead of Socialist Realism, in my everyday life. Why should I deliberately subject myself to an hour of it a week?

Subotai Bahadur
Reading on the comments about Season 1 of "AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D.", I get the deep suspicion that if "BUFFY" or "BABYLON 5" had started out around this time, instead of 14-20 years ago, fans and critics would be bitching about how disappointing both were and their writing inconsistency.

I think that "LOST" has spoiled television viewers for the sci-fi/fantasy serial drama format. These days, fans want to be blown away in the first episode, as "LOST" managed to do. They don't have the patience to allow such a series to develop in characterization and writing over a period of time. They don't have the patience for true writing for serial drama. And what many of them seem to forget is that after its first season, "LOST" spent its remaining five seasons struggling to maintain the quality of its first season.
my classmate's mother-in-law makes $65 hourly on the internet . She has been without work for ten months but last month her income was $15099 just working on the internet for a few hours. website link http://www.wow90.com
*AGENT COULSON LIVES*

'Nuff said.
Did you actually just mix up Steve Green and Scott Ott? That isn't easy.
Joss Whedon should not be underrated. Firefly was way, way ahead of it's time and deserved far more than it got. Dollhouse was good, but it might have become great.

Walter is correct. This could go anywhere, and, given Whedon, it may well go somewhere wonderful.
All I needed to know about it is that it is a Marvel product - therefore a vehicle for Stan Lee's elitist fantasies.

Skip.
I gave this show a chance. I liked Phil Coulson from the other Marvel movies and so did my wife, and I thought this would be a rare opportunity to settle on watching a show we both liked.

Alas, it was not meant to be.

Why?

Aside from Coulson himself, the men on this show are worthless. A pattern I'm seeing more and more... the women are the brains *and* the women are the muscle. I'm aware that the woman as the muscle is an old concept. E.g., Mrs. Peele and Mr. Steed. It's not that unusual. But at least Mr. Steed had a brain in his head.

Even the hopelessly feminized "Librarian" series let the man be the brains -- even when it was absolutely clear that, like Nell in "Dudley Do-Right", he constantly needed to be rescued from big, tough villains by this model-perfect gorgeous girl half his weight, the Librarian was still the one who had to think them out of their jam.

On S.H.I.E.L.D., the gorgeous young hacker is the brains, and the gorgeous young Asian woman is the muscle. The men serve no purpose whatsoever except to give the women a way to shine in comparison.

I gave up after two episodes.
The cute part was you didn't actually see her throwing the guy (in the Avengers), and she was a lot younger than him. You can also contrast the Get Smart movie with the Get Smart TV series. In the series, it was understood that the man provides the muscle, which is more realistic. In fact, part of the joke was when Max tries (or succeeds) in getting 99 to handle that part. This versus the PC "realism" of the movie.

I really got tired of the macho women infesting so much of modern (book) SF. (I didn't like the exploration of male machismo in the earlier SF either.) Usually the fact that an author is female (excepting Bujold) is a red flag for me; I wish it didn't have to be. You can even look at what happened to the "Myth" (Skeeve and Aahz) series.
I think I would've listed Ming-Na Wen as reason in lieu of some of those others. Just sayin'....
Dude! You haven't seen CA: TWS yet? It's the best film of the Avenger related Marvel catalog. Get on it!
Nick Fury was originally a contemporary of Captain America. In the 60's, he was Sgt. Fury, WWII and only thereafter, Colonel Fury, Nick Fury, Agent of Shield. (Hey, I once had an original issue of Fantastic Four #7. And more. My parents made get rid of them. In the 20's my Father collected Stamps. I should have tried that angle. After all, how much is an FF #7 worth today?)

Timelines change.

And I had lots of old issues of Thor. (What hath Stan Lee wrought, going forward? OH,. Odin...)

Well, this series was very well worth considering, if only to gauge the changes from the original 60's comic to the present. Interesting exercise. And of course, Stan Lee always had an eye for the likes of Ming-Na and Chloe...(Stripperella, anyone?)
1 2 Next View All