The 10 Most Popular Movie Trailers Released So Far This Summer

Which newly released movie trailer has received the most views? You'd be surprised.

Walter Hudson

July 15, 2014 - 7:00 am

This month sees a new feature here at PJ Lifestyle, our review of movie trailers promoting upcoming theatrical releases. This will be a work in progress, guided heavily by your feedback and insight. So don’t hold back.

To kick things off, we present a list of the top 10 movie trailers released in June, based on their online popularity. There’s a surprising mix of several-hundred-million-dollar would-be blockbusters and smaller independent films, everything from chick flicks to the epic actioners you might expect. We begin with:

10. Very Good Girls

Two actresses work to advance their careers in this sexually charged coming-of-age drama. Dakota Fanning continues to shed her child star image, while Elizabeth Olsen continues to distinguish her individual brand from that of her more widely known elder sisters. The two play girls who “make a pact to lose their virginity during their first summer out of high school,” a plan complicated when they both pursue the same man.

Both Fanning and Olsen have portrayed older roles, and this may seem like a step backwards but for the mature subject matter. Peter Sarsgaard looks to turn in another performance as a pervy creeper, something he’s quite good at. The film also stars Demi Moore, Richard Dreyfuss, and Marvel’s Agents of Shield lead Clark Gregg.

I'm actually kind of pumped for Hercules. The child in me still likes those Greek mythology tales.

Hunger Games (sadly) was the best movie I saw last year. Yes Walter, we would do well to follow Katniss and Peeta, shooting a few arrows.

And anything with Denzel I usually like.

Maybe it won't be such a stinker for cinema like I thought. It takes a hell of a lot to get me to a movie theater at ten dollars a pop with $6.00 stale popcorn (we sneak the drinks in using my wife's suitcase for a purse).
When I was first seeing the trailer for The Expendables I thought it was a trailer for the next (and also supposedly final) Fast & Furious movie, and I was excited. When it became clear that it was The Expendables I was disappointed. When the trailer was over I was thinking, 'Maybe I'll go see this one.' Banderas? Gibson? FORD???

Unless the reviewers I've come to trust treat this one the same as 2, I'm in.
I caught the trailer for The Equalizer while watching Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. At first I thought it was going to be related to his turn in Man on Fire. When the title I came up I did a major nerdgasm, as The Equalizer was one of my favorite TV series. (I've loved Edward Woodward since seeing him in Breaker Morant and The Wicker Man.)
That one is definitely on my list of movies to see.

Hercules and Dracula Untold are either going to be total dogs or B-classics. I'll probably go, but early reviews could change that.

The same with Expendables 3. The first was awesome, the second okay. I will have to see if Stallone will salvage the third.
WHAT? No 'Guardians of the Galaxy'? I call foul on your whole list, never heard of Guardians until the trailer. But I have to see it. I've even looked for other trailers on line. Why?

A racoon with a machine gun. A racoon. with. A machine gun. You can't help but smile....

and the music, so out of place, yet so perfect...

You have to wonder if Stallone's body can continue to withstand the roids in order to make a 4th installment of the Expendables.