Andrew Klavan

June 18, 2014 - 9:24 am

British artist and comedian Miriam Elia is in trouble with Penguin Books after publishing an explicit — but absolutely dead on and hilarious — spoof of modern art in the form of a Penguin’s children’s Ladybird book. Elia says Penguin’s been kind about it and has tried to negotiate but has to keep its trademark rights. I do understand that and I’m not blaming them, but it’s really too bad because the thing is great. It’s called We Go To The Gallery, and has little Peter and Jane being taken to someplace like the Tate Gallery by Mummy to learn all about modern art and its vision of the world.  Here are a couple of panels – as I say, Not Suitable For Work:

01 - lx5nNJB 03 - YxmNf2A

Elia's spoof of a trip to the museum reminds me of a real-life story I read about 20 years ago. A British museum - it might have been the Tate but I can't be sure - had a contest for the best new art work of the year with a prize of 20,000 pounds. The winner was an "artist" whose brilliant work consisted of turning the light on and off in an otherwise empty room.
Is British copyright unlike American copyright? Can't she claim that it's a parody and therefore is protected?

After a little research I found the answer. Under British copyright parodies are not protected and are considered infringement.
Well, I guess that explains why the British sense of humor always seemed to be lacking something. No brutal parodies of one's supposed "betters" allowed? No wonder the UK is sinking into tyranny. I'd suggest the author should have gotten an American publisher for it instead, but then I suppose instead of an infringement suit, a work like that would earn her a character assassination campaign from the art snobs over here.
I'm pretty sure the Brits do parody. I submit that Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister are parodies and they are the finest comedies I've ever seen. I think Monty Python is also parody and is another British show I think about often.