10 of the Most Ultra Rare Automobiles in the World

Feast your eyes on this list of rare automotive eye-candy.

Becky Graebner

June 8, 2014 - 9:00 am
YouTube Preview Image

1. Ferrari 250 GTO

I admitted in my Ferrari post that this is one of my favorite cars of all time.  I mean, just look at it!

This GT car was produced in two distinctly styled bodies from 1962 to 1964.  The ’62 and ’63 GTOs were Sergio Scaglietti designed and produced and came to be known as “series I.”  In 1964, a limited number of GTOs were produced by Scaglietti, but fitted with a body designed by Pininfarina.  This styling was subsequently known as “series II.”  In all, thirty-six GTOs were produced.

This car is not simply famous for its Ferrari good looks or small production numbers, but for its dominance on the track.  The 250 GTO had several successes: winning the GT category at Le Mans in 1962 and 1963, winning the Nurburgring 1000 km in 1963 and 1964, and taking the Tour de France in 1963 and 1964 (just to name a few).

To many car collectors, the 250 GTO has become akin to the “Holy Grail.” In 2012, a 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO that was specifically built for Stirling Moss reportedly sold for $35 million.

Didn't Bugatti himself put one of the Royales in a ditch? How embarrassing. I probably would have included the Deusenberg Model SJ in this list, but that's just me.
I'd never heard of the 916 before this article. I have seen a 914-Six, though.

Lost a race to it, too! :D

It was the 914 with a 911 engine in it. The logo on the back was the only clue. 914 in numerals, as usual, but followed by "Six" in an italicized script. I've seen some pictures where it's 914-6, so maybe the factory tried different styles?

Several years ago I had the great good fortune to view an exhibit of three generations of Bugatti works. All 6 cars were on display. They were simply breathtaking.
Another rare car you might have shown is the Tucker. As I recall from the movie Tucker: A Man and His Dream, only 50 were ever made and 47 were still on the road (when the movie was released in 1988). Beauty is in the eye of the beholder so I won't presume to tell anyone whether it is an attractive car. Using your favorite search engine, you should be able to find lots of pictures with "photo Tucker automobile".
Should have a look at the Kaiser Darrin:

I saw one when I was getting my Checker Marathon restored at FantomWorks a couple of years ago. Had never seen anything like it. The lines are nice. Fiberglass. Pocket doors. Underpowered, too, unfortunately. Still, she'll turn a head or two. Certainly no worse than the Porsche 914.
All great cars.

For my money, none as beautiful as the Voisin Type C27.