Teen Girl Goes Old School (1951) to Get Popular

Scott Ott

June 2, 2014 - 8:00 am

Bought the book in the morning. Finished it in the afternoon. Literally could not put it down.

That may sound odd when you learn that I’m a 52-year-old father of four and I’m talking about a nonfiction book written by a geeky teenaged girl about her efforts to become popular. But it’s weirder than that: I actually had to reach for the Kleenex more than a time or two.

Popular: Vintage Wisdom for a Modern GeekIn Popular: Vintage Wisdom for a Modern Geek, Maya Van Wagenen, 15, lives and writes an engaging adventure — a social experiment, in which she tries to apply the lessons of “Betty Cornell’s Teenage Popularity Guide,” which her Dad found in a thrift store. Maya manages to bring precocious insight into the human condition through a fun, often dramatic, personal story.

Did you ever wish you could go back to high school knowing what you do now about human nature? Maya actually does it, but as a middle-schooler willing to test out principles of grooming, attire and attitude tailored for 1951. And she doesn’t update them. She lives out the vintage popularity guide as written.

Maya: Before

Maya Van Wagenen before she wrote (and lived) “Popular: Vintage Wisdom for a Modern Geek.”

How could paleolithic advice about makeup, girdles and etiquette survive the onslaught of feminism and political correctness? Quite well actually — surprisingly well. But ultimately, what Maya learns has little to do with superficial attractiveness. It really gets at the core of why some people seem to naturally attract friends, and have more fun, while others live lives of quiet desperation.

It’s easy to understand why this book, out since April 15, has already been optioned for a movie. I hope that the studio realizes that this is much more than a story of teenage angst — that it has broad appeal, and deep meaning.

Scott Ott co-hosts a news, commentary and humor show called Trifecta on PJTV. He created and hosted the 20-part series on the Constitution titled Freedom's Charter. His satire site, ScrappleFace, spawned three books and praise from Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Mark Levin and many others.

Being "popular" matters to most people, but we all have different definitions. I like being popular with my coworkers: liked and appreciated for what I bring socially and professionally to our group. Not only is it pleasant to be around people who like and appreciate me, it is also a validation that I am doing something right. If I were a grouch and bad at my job then not many people would like me.

For teenagers it's a little different because they don't have the experience of adults to understand who's opinion should matter and who's should not, so many think validation is in as many people liking them as possible, i.e. being popular.

Plus, while teenagers can reinforce many negative behaviors with the reward of popularity, I never knew anyone popular who wasn't well groomed and well spoken. And many of the popular people I knew in school were NICE (especially the guys) which contributed greatly to their popularity. Though mean or nice the most common trait held by the popular kids when I was younger was an aura of confidence (even if it was feigned).

While popular people can be mean and/or shallow, those aren't necessarily defining traits and wanting to be popular is understandable.
Narcissism plagues both genders, dear.
Because women like being the center of attention. It's natural for them.
I was pretty much a loner in high school with a couple of close friends and I spent most of my time pursing electronics and computers back in the 70s (My high school was one of the few with a real computer system (DEC PDP 11/34) and I helped run it).

I wondered what it was like to be popular, so when I got to college I decided that I would be outgoing and fun and meet as many people as possible. It worked. I was very popular at first and had literally dozens of acquaintances who were always calling me to go do something and I was getting invited to every party.

However, I missed my alone time. I had no time for myself. I was always on the go. I learned that if I got invited to a party, but I already had committed that time to another place, people would get a little upset if I politely thanked them, but declined the invite.

Not wanting to upset anyone, I tried to attend all of the parties. It was very tiring. Everyone seemed happy but me. I learned that it really takes a lot of effort to be popular and it really leaves little time for doing the things that I loved. After a month and a half of the popular life, my grades were in the toilet and I realized that I needed to balance my study time with my social time.

Funny thing is, once I started cutting back on my social life, many of my new found friends got upset with me. One by one, they stopped calling. By the end of my first term, I was back to a small group of my high school friends plus a few new ones on my dorm floor, but I was much happier.

Some people just aren't built for the big social life. It made me wonder how many of the popular kids in high school secretly wished they weren't so popular. I wonder if anyone ever wrote a book like that.
Why aspire to exclusivity?
Exactly, as that is what being popular is all about.
I wish this story, as written, had more depth. I learned nothing. But I want everyone to know that I wrote a book about parakeets at age nine, and I wonder if it can be made into a movie because I could sure use the dough.
lol !
I was never much of a fitter inner but a single datum isn't prescriptive.
Same with me. I was definitely contrarian in nature, if most of the kids were doing one thing, I had an aversion to joining in with the crowd and would do something else.

It has never gone away with me. The more popular an item becomes, the less I want it.
I have never understood why someone works to become "popular". Why anyone even cares about it.

It simply does not compute.

"Shallow" does not begin to describe it.

When my daughter was 14, she announced that her main goal was to be "popular". My how things change as we mature (at least, I hope they do for everybody)!
MC88, excellent comment, you nailed the "popularity" conundrum.

Almost all the popular of my youth were attractive, well-groomed, communicative and confident. It's the confidence that does it however.

Throughout the years, I have had many young people work for me and as a fatherless child relished the opportunity to mentor. I always told them it was like hitting a baseball, often times the harder you try the less likely you will succeed.

Relax, get the mechanics right and approach life liking yourself. Never try too hard, because it shows.

Aha...if only I hard known me when I was young.
Not necessarily shallow. Some people with low self-esteem need other people to validate their sefl-worth.
Consider yourself luck that it does not compute for you.
Because women like being the center of attention. It's natural for them.
I gather you know no women other than your mother, and I bet she was a disaster in her role as your female reference book.
Narcissism plagues both genders, dear.
Two-word proof: Barack Obama.
Why yes... Female narcissism is a plague on men who have to deal with it. How perceptive of you.
Fitting in is not the same as being "popular".

I just read the Amazon reviews, and will be buying it as soon as my Kindle charges. Thanks, it looks like a good read.
I'll take insight anywhere I can get it. Do you feel the book would be suitable for a young teenager to read?
Yes, Katherine, although depending on your parenting style, you may want to read through it first, but I don't think you'll find anything you'll find inappropriate, and the overall message of the book is terrific.
Thanks, Scott. I have two girls who could both benefit from this.