The Worst Software Company on the Planet

It's time to uninstall Flash if you haven't already.

Stephen Green

April 30, 2014 - 10:00 am

Flash users, beware:

Adobe on Monday disclosed a new vulnerability in its Flash platform that may allow attackers to remotely take over and control Macs, PCs, and Linux machines and advised users to update their system as quickly as possible.

The bug affects Flash Player 13.0.0.201 and earlier on the Mac, Flash Player 13.0.0.182 and earlier on Windows, and Flash Player 11.2.202.350 and earlier on Linux. Adobe says that attacks exploiting this flaw have been discovered “in the wild,” so users are strongly urged to apply the latest updates sooner than later.

I uninstalled Flash from my desktop and laptop years ago and never looked back. My computers run faster and my browsers crash almost never — down from almost once a day, almost entirely due to Flash. Also, uninstalling Flash removed a major security weakness. There is no good reason to have it on any of your computers, especially with browser plugins available like FlashToHMLT5.

But it gets worse.

A few months ago I “subscribed” to Photoshop, because I thought I needed it again for a little something I was working on. The experience with Adobe’s cloud services was horrible, their front end was an intrusive nightmare, and it would never leave me alone to actually get anything done with it. So I eagerly paid the early cancellation penalty and then used CleanMyMac to make sure I’d removed every little last bit of Adobe from my system.

I remember when Adobe made the software that professionals couldn’t live without. Now they make the crap you can barely tolerate to live with.

****
Cross-posted from Vodkapundit

Stephen Green began blogging at VodkaPundit.com in early 2002, and has served as PJMedia's Denver editor since 2008. He's one of the hosts on PJTV, and one-third of PJTV's Trifecta team with Scott Ott and Bill Whittle. Steve lives with his wife and sons in the hills and woods of Monument, Colorado, where he enjoys the occasional lovely adult beverage.

Thanks, will check it out.

Flash crashes all the time and complains, drags along, takes forever to load, demands updates every other day and hates my other browzers, especially Mozilla. Now its sneaking people into my space.

Sounds like an old boyfriend I once had.
I use VLC Player. Plays damned near any format, small and streamlined. No Adobe, no Flash.
Sharks are jumping Adobe by now. They've graduated from jumping the shark a long time ago.
Seriously, Flash was innovative in its day. But
"Our little systems have their day.
They have their day and cease to be…"
I am beginning to think that every software company is the worst in the world.
What about flash games? Will html5 run them?
Lucky me, my wife is the I/T expert....all I know about "Flash" is...

Its that extra bit of material around the Parting Line of an Injection Mold that didnt clamp tight enough (time to check the hydraulics) where some of the shot leaked out...flash

You'll sometimes see it around the perimeter of those cheap Little Green Army Men, but is a real good spot to LIGHT THEM ON FIRE, cause its thin and catches pretty quick...and those dripping balls of flaming plastic and all that thick black smoke are are WAY cooler than any blinking lights on a Kindle...

Yeah, 'Flash" is what finally got my son to drop the damn Gadget, and start playing like a Real American Boy...

Burns will heal, but perpetual screen watching will leave lifetime scars.
I'd love to get rid of Flash but won't this mean I won't be able to see many videos?
I disabled it through 'tools' and now some videos play, and some don't. I haven't figured out yet how to actually uninstall it. I'm only given the option of turning it on, and I do not want to do that.
This seems a little unfair. As I understand it, Adobe themselves are abandoning Flash, and have been pushing for improvements to HTML5 to take on the jobs that, up until now, only Flash could do.
What is "unfair" about pointing out the massive flaws in a popular computer program?

So, because Adobe has finally recognized that it is a disaster, we shouldn't point out that it is a disaster that should have been fixed at least a decade ago?

That wasn't the part I thought was unfair. Flash has it's faults, but for a long while it was pretty much the only way to enjoy certain content on the internet (as some are finding out, even now, when they surf without it).

HTML5 now provides the ability to do many of the things we turned to Flash for, but it's been a long time coming, and will take a while to get the web completely off Flash.

As I understand it (and I say that again because I'm not an expert, and am happy to be corrected) Adobe themselves, once they realised Flash's time was up, put effort into getting HTML improved so it could take over.

For a different take on "The Worst Software Company on the Planet", read: http://www.cio.com/article/752201/How_Adobe_Is_Moving_on_From_Flash_to_Embrace_HTML5
Thanks Stephen! Removed Flash Player and installed the Flash to HTML5 add on in Pale Moon 64 and Firefox. YouTube still seems to work when I play the Adobe theme song: Bang My Head by Cross Canadian Ragweed.

I'm no techie and this gives me the chance to ask advice. I have a Kindle Fire HDX. When I go to PJTV I can't watch the shows because when I try to run them it tells me I need Adobe Flash 9.0; however, the Fire HDX is not compatible with Flash and I can't load it. So I can't watch PJTV, including Steve Green's own appearances on Trifecta, on my Fire.
Thank God. I thought you were ragging on my company. Don't read anything into that of course...
Oh, you work for Microsoft!

:D

I still very much like Photoshop CS5 and 6 but Flash is the spawn of the devil. It *should* be unnecessary now we have HTML5 but the licensing issues around H.264 mean content providers still have to transcode files to three different formats. Video is a mess, and we largely have idiotic software patents (which shouldn't even be a thing) to thank for it.
1 2 Next View All