Noah Set to Flip the Biblical Script

Darren Aronofsky's film, "inspired by the story of Noah," places animals above human beings.

Walter Hudson

March 11, 2014 - 7:29 am

As a Christian and a fan of Hollywood’s past biblical epics, I got excited upon viewing the first trailer for Darren Aronofsky’s Noah. The story of Noah and his ark has resonated through every culture of man, yet has never been the subject of a major Hollywood motion picture.

Alongside my enthusiasm, skepticism lurked. Modern Hollywood producing a biblical epic adhering to the written narrative and theological themes seemed unlikely given a culture increasingly opposed to the source material. That doubt grew with last month’s report that a disclaimer would be attached to the film’s marketing explaining that “artistic license has been taken.”

Any adaptation requires artistic license. Certainly, narratives were added to Cecil B. DeMille’s The Ten Commandments which fleshed out the characters and layered the world in which Moses lived. Adding Anne Baxter’s Nefretiri to spice things up between Moses and Rameses is one thing. But you don’t add or subtract commandments from the ten. In the case of Noah, the disclaimer added by Paramount addressed criticism from Christian groups who claim that the film deviates substantively from the biblical narrative.

A clue to Aronofsky’s approach emerged alongside reports that actress Emma Watson had become sick during production after the director banned bottled water from their location. Watson told Wonderland magazine that the ban comported with the “pro-environmental message” of the film. The Telegraph recalled that Aronofsky called Noah “the first environmentalist” in a 2011 interview.

Now we have begun to see clips from the film. The one above revealed Aronofsky’s revised reason for Noah to build an ark. “Our family has been chosen for a great task, to save the innocent… the animals,” Noah tells his family.

When one of his sons asks what makes the animals innocent, Noah’s daughter beats him to the punch: “Because they still live as they did in the Garden [of Eden].”

From this we may infer that God regards animals as morally superior to human beings. In the clip, Noah adds, “I guess we get to start over too,” as if the involvement of his family were an afterthought secondary to God’s purpose.

The Bible tells a different story. All creation shares the curse of sin, including animals. The flood surged as judgment against that sin, and Noah’s family was preserved in fulfillment of God’s covenant to provide salvation for mankind.

By turning the story of Noah into an environmental tale, Aronofsky has missed the point. Beyond artistic license, he seems to have defiled the story’s essence. Imagine a film about the terrorist attacks of 9/11 which portrayed the hijackers as Hindu, and you understand the difference between artistic license and fraud. If Aronofsky’s Noah ends up as divergent as the above clip, it will trivialize something sacred, the treasured relationship between God and mankind.

Walter Hudson advocates for individual rights, serving on the board of the Republican Liberty Caucus of Minnesota, and as president of the Minority Liberty Alliance. He hosts a daily podcast entitled Fightin Words, proudly hosted on Twin Cities Newstalk Podcast Network. Walter is a city council member in Albertville, MN. Follow his work via Twitter and Facebook.

Read the book.
Of course the "innocent" animals weren't saved. Except for two apiece, they were wiped out with all other land life forms, according to the Biblical narrative. More people were saved than specimens of each animal kind.
I suspected "Noah" was going to be green pretending to be religious.
If Aronofsky had a sense of humor he'd work some unicorns into the story and have them be wiped out because they insisted on playing silly games.
It's just a story, and certainly not any sort of historical event. That being said, animals are in synch with nature, man is not. It is difficult for man to be objective about himself, since he is the only one doing the judging.
Saying "animals are in synch with nature" is so confused, it is difficult to know where to begin describing the circular logic inherent in it.
What an interesting definition of terms it must require to get that comment out with a straight face! Men are not natural? Perhaps that's because they were created by God? I suspect you don't believe that, so you must believe that man is just an animal that evolved, and that makes man no different from other animals.

Well, I suppose I can claim to be African American, since man evolved there, and the fact that my ancestors are from there is as true as it is for Jesse Jackson. I can also claim to be Native American, since I and several generations of my ancestors were born here, and after all, the original American Indians were immigrants a 'few' generations back. All this as opposed to my Egyptian friend who got in trouble for claiming to be African-American, even though that is absolutely literally true.

With the right definition of terms, anything is possible, but it does help to be consistent and logical about the the whole thing.
it is unfortunate to read this, because I had been looking forward to this movie and now may pass. Reminds me of Liam Neeson's new movie Non-stop, when reading the spoiler alert, was glad that I didn't spend on that movie either.
The Powers That Be that set the liberal agendas DO believe in a God; it's just that he is not Yehovah, he's Lucifer; also known as Apollyon or Abaddon. Kabbala is Luciferian and is the Mystery Religion of the gnostics.
Their god used to be Lucifer. It's name changed after it's fall. Satan, the Dragon, Old Knob, the Jolly Roger...are it's names now.
Funny though, how the radicals want so desperately co-opt the authority of the God in whom they don't believe for their pets causes. I understand the Godzilla remake is going to have something similar in that the director of that film has said "Godzilla is definitely a representation of the wrath of nature. We've taken it very seriously ... that's what the subtext of our movie is about. He's the punishment we deserve ..."

Hell with 'em.
Howdy Anon
Godzilla (Gojira) has been portrayed as a force of nature made terrible by nuclear events from the first version. The creature has always been portrayed more that way than as evil. One may dislike the message but it's canonical.
Read the book.
There are many lessons and sermons to be derived from the story of Noah.

I have some difficulty from my own understanding of my Jewish background, with the idea that the animals could share guilt in a curse of sin. This might be better explained perhaps by someone better versed in Christian theology of original sin. I did not know it applied to giraffes.

You cannot miss the environmental message in the story. The Ark itself is a powerful metaphor for how we humans must conduct ourselves as stewards in a fragile, yet abundant real world planet. One hole sinks the whole boat. We are obligated to the natural world, not the other way around. My sleepy beagle dog has no morality so I do not see how he could be " morally superior", makes no sense. It is my moral obligation to treat him with decency and kindness.

Noah is not a superhero, far from it. He fails in one kabbalistic interpretation :

What did God answer Noah when he left the Ark and saw the world destroyed? He [Noah] began to cry before God and he said, "Master of the universe, You are called compassionate. You should have been compassionate for Your creation." God responded and said, "You are a foolish shepherd. Now you say this?! Why did you not say this at the time I told you that I saw that you were righteous among your generation, or afterward when I said that I will bring a flood upon the people, or afterward when I said to build an ark? I constantly delayed and I said, 'When is he [Noah] going to ask for compassion for the world?' ... And now that the world is destroyed, you open your mouth, to cry in front of me, and to ask for supplication?" [Zohar Hashmatot, Bereishit 254b]

G-d rebukes Noah for not seeing the bigger picture. He saves himself and his family. He completes his task, does his job, but that was not enough.

Mostly this is a story we start children on. So much fuss about a movie for entertainment.
Baloney. That's your personal interpretation and by no means authoritative. The story is not an "environmental" one and nothing you (Jewish Obama voters, correct?) can say makes it so.
The Ark is an example of Christ. The corruption of human DNA was to prevent Christ from entering into our time, and space in the future. The corruption of animal DNA is due to a fierce hatred of G-d's creation from the Serpent who was created by fire, and lied about G-d's laws being unjust.

The Dragon attacks everything of G-d, for it's pride went before it's fall. G-d's laws are just, because G-d paid the price for sin for us, rather than just forcing creation to worship him. This is what really gets Old Knobs goat.
Even leaving the kabbala out of it, one of the first things that Noah did after the flood was make wine and get plastered.

After the fall, Eve and Adam were promised that the Savior of humankind would come from their descendents. God had to wipe out most of humanity simply because the time was not yet ready for that Savior, but yet human society had grown to the point that it was threatening to overrun Noah and any remembrance of God's promise.
G-d had to wipe out the abominations that had taken over the planet. There would have been no completely human left had G-d not intervened. Noah was perfect in his generations, not perfect without sin.

40 days without a break from my wife, and work, and I would need a drink too.
This is a fascinating perspective, and one I had not considered 'til now. You refer, I take it, to the Nephilim? That generations of crossbreeding would eventually dilute all human DNA?

I like it.
The Left, among their other ridiculous beliefs, also hold the false equation that victimhood = superior morality. That's why mindless animals, powerless in a Human world, are considered superior by this film. Its not how you handle your responsibilities that makes you morally better, but being so helpless that you have no responsibilities in the first place. They want us all to be children, in other words, not forced to make any of the hard, brutal decisions that reality often requires.
With all the Hollywood movies on aliens from somewhere out there, it would have been cool to have a Flood movie complete with the Watchers, the Nephilim, the blood shed, paganism, abominations of creatures changed DNA, and Noah perfect in his generations.

The beginning on the Movie would go something as follows: As it was in the time of Noah, so shall it be at the second coming of the son of man.

Count me out. Enough is enough of Leftest interpretation of the Bible they don't believe in.
It will be a very religious movie. Its just that the religion will not be Judeo-Christian, it will be the religion of the self loathing, projected on screen for all to see.

I hope he spent his own money on this turkey.
1 2 Next View All