The New Hipster Trend – Beard Transplants

Guys in skinny jeans in Brooklyn are paying thousands of dollars for that thick facial mane that says, "I'm a fake man."

Chris Queen

February 27, 2014 - 9:30 am

Hipster beard

The scientific advancements we’ve seen the last few years stagger the imagination. Among these revolutions in the medical realm is the hair transplant. But, lest you think hair transplants are only for the guys you see on local television ads with a sad visage in a “before” image and a convertible and a hot babe in the “after” shot, one group of guys is taking advantage of hair transplant technology in a new way. The latest trend in the hipster world is the beard transplant:

Stubble-challenged guys are forking over up to $8,500 for the beard-boosting procedure, which has spiked in popularity in recent months, plastic surgeons told The Post.

“Brooklyn is probably the nucleus of the trend, it’s the hipster ‘look’ guys want. If you have a spotty beard, and you let it grow out, it looks sloppy, ” said Dr. Jeffrey Epstein, a Midtown-based plastic surgeon.

“[Clients] want full beards because it’s a masculine look. Beards are an important male identifier,” he added.

I guess these hipster guys need a “male identifier” to counter the decidedly non-masculine look of the deep v-neck t-shirts and skinny jeans rolled up too high. In a lovely bit of irony, some hipsters make use of the transplants to look older:

One happy patient  is Danny, 27, whose beard used to be so patchy, he was forced to “fill it in” with an eyebrow pencil, he said.

Two years ago, he paid $8,500 for the surgery, which he considers a fashion statement.

“I have a baby face but now I’m able to look older. My fashion statement is a little edgy, and I do like the ‘rugged look,’” he said.

He added, “It’s one of the best investments I’ve ever made.”

While others go for the procedure to look younger:

A 39-year-old New Yorker, who works in catering industry,  got a beard transplant to make him feel younger, DNAinfo.com reported.

“I had contemplated [getting a beard transplant] for approximately eight months,” he said, “Knowing the results, I wish I hadn’t wasted so much time deciding,” he said.

$8,500 for facial hair. Sometimes, the jokes just write themselves.

(h/t to Kathy Shaidle)

All Chris Queen wanted to be growing up was a game show host, a weather man, or James Bond. But his writing talent won out. By day, Chris is a somewhat mild-mannered church communications director, but by night, he keeps his finger on the pulse of pop culture and writes about it. In addition to his Disney obsession (as evidenced by his posts on this website), Chris's interests include college sports -- especially his beloved Georgia Bulldogs -- and a wide variety of music. A native of Marietta, GA, Chris moved with his family as a child to nearby Covington, GA, where he still makes his home. He is an active charter member of Eastridge Community Church and enjoys spending time with family and friends. In addition to his work at PJ Media, Chris spent nearly a year as a contributor to NewsReal Blog. He has also written for Celebrations Magazine and two newspapers in Metro Atlanta. Check out his website, www.chrisqueen.net.

The circle is complete. The Amish are now hip.
Oh, isn't that cute, desperately trying to get back the manhood that the Progressive Political movement has taken away from them...
"My fashion statement is a little edgy, and I do like the ‘rugged look,’”

Hey guys, here's a clue: If you're trying to make a fashion statement, you aren't masculine.
I had a full heavy beard in Highschool at 17, back when the drinking age in Brooklyn was 18, and in our nearby NJ, it just got "raised" to 19...

So naturally, it was always my job to buy the beer....

And then I grew up...by the time I was 39 (!) not just my face but my whole HEAD from my neck up had been clean-shaved for a full 20 years....

Because after that last case of warm Miesterbrau I scored for us to drink behind some tool shed, (or maybe it was a secluded parking lot?) I shipped off to Paris Island and LIKED it.

Good thing my son has appropriately masculine role models to look up to in his formative years...just like my dad and uncles were for me

I actually feel sorry for these lost, clueless little pussies....

So desperate to be "manly" with no idea what that even means.
I have a confession: I've had a beard since about 1980. It used to be bushy dark red. I really didn't mind when I started going bald, but my beard has gone white and I really miss my old bushy red one.
Maybe the next big rage will be testicular implants. Seems to be a lot of guys on the left lacking a pair
They're getting their fashion cues from al Qaeda.
I think I read this in a science fiction story written in 1950 where they listed things that would happen just before a nation collapsed from moronic decadence and slid into a giant pit.
I guess you could tell these punks to man up, but they wouldn't understand what that means...
Why is this a story?
Because they don't let them write about farts.
The circle is complete. The Amish are now hip.
Many years ago I decided I wanted to stop shaving so I grew a beard. I had spots on my face that resisted growing hair. I could have styled my beard but that would have involved shaving which was what I was trying to avoid in the first place.

It took two years for my beard to look good. A year after that I met a nice girl who asked me to shave it and gave me good (actually, she was sensational) reasons to have a smooth face.

I might have looked funny for a couple of years, but paying $8500 to fill in the scraggly bits would have been insane.
That's what I was thinking....if they just wait, the patchy spots will get covered by the stuff that grows...so what in the hell are they doing? This is so dumb. Every one of these guys should have to go talk to Phil Robertson about how to grow a beard for free.
But they couldn't afford to buy their own medical insurance.
1 2 Next View All