*Updated* Did Woody Allen Do It? Or Did Mia Farrow? 8 Perspectives

Someone did something terrible to Dylan Farrow. This family drama waged in public just got murkier with the release of a report explaining why criminal charges were never pressed. What do you think?

PJ Lifestyle Daily Question

February 7, 2014 - 2:00 pm

1965480bg023-gypsy

1. The New York Daily News: Golden Globe Awards 2014: Ronan Farrow takes shot at Woody Allen tribute on Twitter

Woody Allen‘s Cecil B. DeMille lifetime-achievement tribute at the Golden Globes drew one big criticism — from his estranged son, Ronan Farrow.

“Missed the Woody Allen tribute — did they put the part where a woman publicly confirmed he molested her at age 7 before or after Annie Hall?” Farrow posted on Twitter and Facebook.

2. At Tablet: Who Is Responsible for Dylan Farrow’s Pain?

Imagine if Mia Farrow had pressed charges and Allen had been convicted and gone to prison. Does anyone think, for one second, that he’d be the recipient of a Golden Globes lifetime achievement award?

And indeed, if anyone abrogated their civic duty, it was not the public. “That he got away with what he did to me haunted me as I grew up,” Farrow writes. “I was stricken with guilt that I had allowed him to be near other little girls.” She has one thing wrong here: *She* did not allow this; she was a child. But indeed, if we are to believe this story, her mother did—perhaps for entirely understandable reasons. But still: the person who, inadvertently or not, protected Allen from facing public judgment is the person who prevented him from ever being formally judged.

I think the question anyone should ask themselves is "would I leave my 7 year old daughter unattended with Woody Allen for any length of time?" If the answer is "No" then you have your answer. Like another poster above said...smoke, embers...roaring fire! He will never be found guilty in a court of law and that doesn't make him innocent. Mia Farrow seems to be an unsavory sort, but I find it impossible to believe a mother (and a loving one as she is reported to be by her children) would intentionally traumatize her little girl for revenge. That's an evil I can't even comprehend. Reading 10 facts from Orth, I have to wonder why that judge was so sure Allen should not be around Dylan. If we are to believe that Allen is innocent then that judge had to have had some kind of grudge against him to say those very damning things about his relationship with Dylan. What are the chances of that? Was the judge under Mia's spell too? Or the physician who called authorities? There is too much evidence pointing to Allen's guilt for reasonable people to give him the presumption of innocence. He's a man who should be very carefully watched around children. Watch his movies, don't watch his movies...but watch him around children. Also an interesting side note...Soon-yi had pretty severe learning disabilities as a child and a lower than average IQ. She was described as being socially awkward and unable to socialize normally. She was a perfect target for a predator like Allen. The fact then that he had children with her....very suspicious. Did he choose someone purposefully with a low IQ who would never question him...someone who saw him as an authority figure and was described as willing to do anything for him. What are the chances that she would put up the kind of fuss Mia did if she found out he had molested her child? Soon-Yi would be a lot easier to fool. She is completely under his control. There is way too much weirdness surrounding this man.
I hold no brief for child molesters but can we agree that EVERYONE in this family is at least a little nuts? Their collective nuttiness is magnified and inflated by the New York media leaving the rest of us nowhere to hide. If ever two human beings deserved each other it's Woody Allen and Mia Farrrow. He's a mean little man and she's a bitter harpy. It's a shame they couldn't make it work.
This story is 21 years old. It is too late for legal prosecution and too late for Dylan to bring a civil suit. All she can do is to repeat her claim, and all Woody can do is repeat his denial. While we each have our own hunch, those of us in the general public will never really know for sure what did or didn't happen.

When it wasn't too late, when it really mattered, the child abuse experts cleared Woody and the prosecutor did not indict him, apparently with Mia's blessing. I believe in the presumption of innocence for a person who not only wasn't convicted but who was never even formally charged. For those who don't believe in that presumption, I hope you are never wrongfully accused of something you didn't do. Proving your innocence could be a difficult challenge.
You know, it crossed my mind that the alleged ( anything unproven is always alleged ) molestation occurred back in 1991-92. Wasn't that around the time when the feminists were encouraging women to "recall " the sexual abuse they experienced with their fathers/stepfathers/brothers/uncles/cousins etc .etc? And wasn't there a rash of women "giving testimony" to their abuse? And wasn't that also the time when women in custody battles with their ex husbands were introducing "sexual abuse" as a means of not only gaining full custody but also to keep their former spouses away from their children? Every "movement" starts with an "incident" which then becomes an "issue" before it becomes a "movement." This has already been written by other posters here at PJM. I am not defending Woody because I was not there. Maybe Mia is telling the truth, maybe Dylan does not remember accurately, maybe their son Moses is telling the truth. But the "Woody-Mia-Dylan incident" is set against a backdrop that initiated an "issue" that created a movement" that has had men retreating for cover ever since.
Thank you to all of those who have provided me with a new pet peeve: What is it with all the mentions of Soon-Yi or other young women that Allen has been linked with? Some of them might have been below the age of consent, and if so, I think Allen should have done jail time. However there is a huge, qualitative difference between young sexually-developed females who are below some arbitrary age and between honest-to-goodness children. Statutory rape is not the same as pedophilia, at all. Allen's purported preference for late-teens is completely irrelevant to this discussion. The question should be: do we have any other hint of any pedophilic inclination by Allen?
Exactly. There was a time in the not-too-distant past when it was not unusual for a 'woman' to be married at 15 or 16. I'm not sure when the change began, but in 1957 a certain popular singer by the name of Jerry Lee Lewis married a 13 year old. It was legal at the time. But it pretty much ended his career.

I don't have exact figures, but at least as recently as the '70s, many states permitted marriage as early as 14.

Now, it's 18 everywhere.
My condolences to those who must sort this filth out for a living. It must take a piece of your soul.
Wading through the wreckage of our media full time and editing and writing about it isn't as painful and soul-crushing since I got religious again.
I think Mia Farrow is nuts. Here is an article that makes clear just how crazy this woman is. Are women capable of lying and making false accusations of child abuse or manipulating children to think ill of their father? You bet.

I swear the Vanity Fair piece by Orth shows that some writers don't know what a fact is. The writer is claiming an "undeniable fact" and then the #2 fact is an allegation. So in her mind Allegation = Fact.
My concern is not so much between Woody and Mia, but between the judge/DA and the doctor - why did they contradict each other?
Courts have to follow strict standards for allowing expert testimony or reports into evidence. It's called the Daubert standard, from the SCOTUS case Daubert v. Merrell Dow Pharmaceuticals. It's quite possible the judge in this case felt that the Yale report didn't meet that standard, and thus would have been inadmissable as evidence.
Diane Keaton has an adopted daughter who is now about 17. I wonder if Diane has introduced Woody to her daughter since she thinks he's so great, and if so, whether she leaves them in the same room together alone.
*This* is a top-ranked comment?! We move within a paragraph from the observation that Allen is apparently attracted to late-teen females to the suggestion that Allen chose to be with the adult Soon-Yi for the sole purpose of breeding her for future child victims? "The fact then that he had children with her....very suspicious." Do you realize how ridiculous this sounds? Let me guess, you're going to claim that the fact their two children are actually adopted is even more suspicious!

I'm dubious about Allen's character, and I respect your library reporting, but this particular comment of yours is not only ridiculous but flat-out Salem-level disgusting.
Women have murdered their own children, so believe it.
Interesting. Apparently, though, her IQ was tested when she was adopted and before she was able to 'catch up'. Children adopted from foreign orphanages need time to get up to speed, so to speak, so I wouldn't put money on her initial IQ scores.
Just a tangential point, but I had to comment on this line: "Dunham, 27, who was once the subject of an article titled, “Is Lena Dunham the Woody Allen of Her Generation?”"

Um, I'd say yes, if by that you mean "Overrated, creepy, mentally unstable headcase who gets accolades far out of proportion to his/her meager talent."
For those of us old enough to remember the huge "scandal" when 21-yr.-old Mia Farrow married 50-year-old Frank Sinatra, her shock at the relationship between Woody and Soon-Yi on the basis of the age gap rings a bit false. Whether Soon-Yi was 17 or 18 or 19 is irrelevant (in some states the legal age is 16)--an older man/younger woman relationship is not foreign to Ms. Farrow. Soon-Yi was not Woody's daughter--he never married Mia, and Andre Previn was soon Soon-Yi's adoptive dad. Whether she saw Woody as a father figure is doubtful since he never stayed overnight at Mia's and claims to have had little conversation with Soon-Yi at all as she was growing up. The other children claim her as a sister, fine, but that is marginal as it was a large household of adopted kids (and why did Mia take in so many?) with no blood ties. I'm not exonerating Woody--I don't know what happened with Dylan--but I think he's getting a bum rap about Soon-Yi.
1 2 3 Next View All