Is This the Funniest Movie Since 1988′s A Fish Called Wanda?

Sandra Bullock brings the laughs by the bucket in The Heat.

Stephen Green

January 10, 2014 - 1:00 pm

heat-sandra-bullock-melissa-mccarthy

I don’t usually follow these things — I haven’t watched the Oscars I don’t think since E.T. lost to Gandhi — but apparently Sandra Bullock won everything at the People’s Choice Awards.

And I’m in total agreement.

Melissa and I watched The Heat last weekend, and it took us over four hours to watch a two-hour movie. It usually takes a while for the parents of small children to watch anything, especially anything R-rated. But it wasn’t the kiddos this time. Bullock and her costar Melissa McCarthy were so funny together, we kept having to pause the movie because we were laughing too hard to hear the next gag. And then we’d rewind to hear the last gag again, because it was so funny. It’s impossible to imagine seeing this movie in a theater without missing at least half of it. We’d have had to buy four tickets and sit through two showings.

I can’t remember the last time I laughed so hard at a movie. At a guess, I’d have to go back to 1988 and A Fish Called Wanda.

So congrats to Sandra Bullock, but Melissa McCarthy deserved all that Sandra got and maybe more.

*****

Cross-posted from Vodkapundit

Stephen Green began blogging at VodkaPundit.com in early 2002, and has served as PJMedia's Denver editor since 2008. He's one of the hosts on PJTV, and one-third of PJTV's Trifecta team with Scott Ott and Bill Whittle. Steve lives with his wife and sons in the hills and woods of Monument, Colorado, where he enjoys the occasional lovely adult beverage.

"A Fish Called Wanda" sucked! I remember hearing all this hype about this insanely funny film and I turned it off halfway through.
You are wrong. I loved "Wanda", recall it with great fondness, and will take the time to rewatch it when it pops up on TV. So no -- you are just wrong.

Maybe someone whose claim to fame is teaching yoga isn't a real good critic of the light and ridiculous.
I remember watching it and the only thing that made me even smile was the animal rights guy (Michael Palin???) accidentally killing the animals.
The Heat is a hideously bad movie ...... The only "funny" part was watching McCarthy trying to move ...... like a beached whale.
Really? You want to go there, basing your whole evaluation on fat and weight? I enjoyed The Heat for what it was, wouldn't recommend it, but think that Melissa McCarthy is a great talent despite her silhouette. Would you make the same condescending comment about Belushi or John Goodman, or do you reserve that attitude for females only?
A funnier movie than 'Wanda' came out about five minutes after it.
IMO that movie is one of Bullock's worst. The schtick was a lot more clever and a lot funnier in Miss Congeniality. And sadly Bullock is too old to be playing that kind of role any more. Gravity was light years better than Heat.
Maybe Knocked Up...
Great script, whipcrack timing, terrific performances by both leads. The anti-chemistry between Bullock and McCarthy was a delight; and the writers didn't betray us at the end with a sucky denouement.

Biggest fear: a string of soppy sequels that dilute the acid/funny taste of the original, as in "Another 48 Hours".