Bridget Johnson

December 24, 2013 - 7:25 am

santa

This Christmas season likely won’t be remembered as much for how Lodi residents helped replace the gifts stolen from the family of a soldier returning from Afghanistan as it will for the debate over the race of the fictional bearer of gifts.

It started with culture blogger Aisha Harris’ Dec. 10 op-ed for Slate in which she suggests replacing “a melanin-deficient Santa” with a multicultural representational penguin. Then it escalated when Fox’s Megyn Kelly empaneled three guests on her primetime show to discuss the piece and declared “for all you kids watching at home, Santa just is white.” Both women later said their comments were tongue-in-cheek.

Last week, I was pulled onto NPR, where I’m a regular contributor, to discuss the fracas with Harris and others — the fracas being an argument about the race of a fictional character who lives at the North Pole with elves and pilots a flying-reindeer sleigh to slide down a chimney with presents. Reactions there were varied.

My first thought was that, over the centuries, portrayals of Jesus and the saints have tended to reflect the culture of that region. The Netherlands’ Sinterklass looks wholly Northern European without much hint of the real St. Nicholas’ heritage in Asia Minor. Jesus was a Middle Eastern Jew, yet cultural representations around the world range from a Jesus with Asian features in the Far East to a black Jesus in Africa and a white, flowing haired representation in Europe. However the cultural interpretation, the legacy of the individual or meaning of their symbolism is not diminished. I doubt either Jesus or St. Nick care about the color of their skin as they do people emulating their works and listening to their words. Unfortunately, the black Santa debate has brought out a lot of ugly in what’s supposed to be a more inspired time of year, with comments left behind the cloak of anonymity on other sites’ stories including racist cracks about black Santa being on welfare or stealing toys instead of leaving them. That is definitely something neither Jesus nor St. Nicholas would utter.

Which leads to my ultimate conclusion about the great Santa debate, which I’ll explain on the next page.

Don't we have enough revisionist history to accommodate the grievance crowd? St. Nicolas was white. If you don't like it, go celebrate Kwanza and wait for King Barry to slide down your chimney with some government cheese.
The historical figure upon whom Santa is based is white, just like the historical Jesus is Semitic. However, Santa as a symbol of love or as a myth - he can be any color. And certainly an actor representing Santa can be any color. If a black kid wants to be Santa for a Christmas pageant or a black Santa wants to get donations for the Salvation Army - who cares??? It's like Morgan Freeman playing the part of God. I don't actually believe God looks like Morgan Freeman. But I also don't care that a black man plays that character because I don't see God as being bound by any particular race. I think people have way too much time on their hands to be debating this stuff.
“The Ethiopians say that their gods are flat-nosed and black,
While the Thracians say that theirs have blue eyes and red hair.
Yet if cattle or horses or lions had hands and could draw,
And could sculpt like men, then the horses would draw their gods
Like horses, and cattle like cattle; and each they would shape
Bodies of gods in the likeness, each kind, of their own.”
― Xenophanes- 5th century Greek Philosopher

There's nothing new under the sun.
Nelson Mandela is already more myth than man - a hundred years from now will he become white or a penguin?

Life is becoming more and more a box of PC induced stupid.
St. Nicholas, Bishop of Myra, was Greek, but as far as I know, he helped anyone he could, regardless of race, status or any other considerations. If someone was doing bad things, he was fearless in defending the innocent—it didn't matter if one was the governor and the other a peasant, he defended what was right. It really doesn't matter what race Santa Claus is portrayed as, so long as he is portrayed as kind and a defender of those who need help.
It doesn't matter. It does matter to today's liberals, who are racialists who would racialize a tree. I was joking with an orthodox Egyptian Christian about SC and telling him SC was a Christian Ottoman Turk. When I asked the guy where he thought SC was from he guessed Sweden. If liberals want a reindeer driving 8 Santa Claus's with blue noses around with a whip I don't care. Some liberals don't even know if they're a man or a woman, so they have other fish to boil. Given that, I'm surprised the lib SC isn't a diamond asteroid named Radish.
St. Nicholas lived in Asia Minor when it was still part of Rome and the Turks still lived somewhere in North East Asia (4th Century A.D.).
I know. I was purposefully conflating the two eras.
it does, if the man in the red suit is supposed to be St. Nick-
You nailed it. Our response should be " so what if he is white" . big deal. But then the demagogues (progs) will say remember "slavery" and the "Spanish Inquisition" and we White Christians sheepishly go hide in the corner with them now assuming the moral high ground. Some moral high ground: oral sex in the oval office, progs using curse words in all discourse, sex before marriage, anal sex between men, art deprecating Jesus, miley cyrus ,etc) To make us stay in the corner they cleverly always bring up supposedly "racism' and" ant i- semitism" . Yea we keep blacks out of basketball and keep Jews out of finance, law, medicine, professorships,media, and politics. What fools we are.
Merry Christmas.
Actually, most of the "progs" I know, including me, are saying the same things as most of "cons" I know, including my wife. Roughly summarized, that would be: folks on either extreme of the hysteria continuum may think this is worth debate. For the rest of us - not so much.
Great picture BTW.
Not one.
its the weirdest thing, santa was black, Jesus was black, the descendants of the American peoples were black, and all the Egyptian pharaohs of old were black. o.k. no problem. actually, I've heard that they were all black women as well.

whew, I feel better! it good to get all the 2013 p.c. crap out of my system all at once. now, where is that eggnog? 2014 here I come!
1 2 3 Next View All