Rhonda Robinson

November 25, 2013 - 9:00 am

black friday 2

Remember my oldest son, the one that nailed his Christmas tree to the floor? A few years ago I received a victorious phone call from him the day after Thanksgiving.

He was so proud of himself, he had to call the entire family to brag. He just won the Superbowl. The Superbowl of Christmas shopping, that is — Black Friday.

Mom! I conquered Christmas. We are off to eat breakfast. All of our shopping is done and we saved a ton of money. I’m telling you, I got this Christmas thing down.

That phone call inspired a new tradition that his sisters have perfected over the years.

Here’s how it’s done Robinson style.

I have a better idea: blow off the commercial stuff (aside from toys for the kids), and soak in the simple pleasures of Christmas: the music, the lights, the gustatory delights, the pageants at church and around town, the pleasure of people coming together to share good will and the merriment of the season.

Who needs Black Friday? Who needs the commercial rush? I know I don't. I love Christmas for the sights, sounds, and smells; and most importantly, for the ineffable feelings of cozy contentment and glittering wonder. There simply is nothing else like it. Christmas is not a responsibility to spend, it is, rather, an invitation to recapture, for a short while, the simple pleasures of our youth.
★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★
Im making over $7k a month working part time. I kept hearing other people tell me how much money they can make online so I decided to look into it. Well, it was all true and has totally changed my life. This is what I do,,,,,,
www.Day35.com
★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★
Great advice for people who view Christmas shopping as a competitive team sport!

I have a different approach. My Christmas list is made up sometime in early July and my Christmas shopping is spread out between then, and around the end of October. Biggest problem I have is squirreling the loot away, so family ,members won't find it before it gets wrapped.

Come Black Friday morning, I sleep in, eat a leisurely breakfast, and maybe take my dog for a walk in the park. The Fall foliage is usually very beautiful.
What silly comments. This is a fun article. Most of us shop for Christmas, and the kids in this family make it a fun family event. Just because you and I don't have the energy or desire to do this is no reason to bah-humbug all over it.

Having fun shopping for loved ones doesn't negate the reason for the season.
Okay. Sounds great. Shop 'til you drop. But save some time and energy, if you have any left, for the joy of Christmas. Christmas should not be an annual ritual of self-inflicted exhaustion.
wonder what would happen if instead of the need to buy more, and leave kids alone with their new toys, parents actually gave time to their children.
I 'conquer' Christmas by having two teenagers who would be happy if they got nothing for Christmas, because they know it's not about the stuff.
Gee, Rhonda, after reading your stuff for the last year, my disappointment leads to my question : What does all this and you and your family's expended energy have to do with Jesus Christ's birthday?
How about an article about conquering the fools who buy into "black Friday" nonsense...