What’s More Offensive than Blackface?

Instead of wringing our hands over theatrics which have no effect on anyone's life, how about we fix policies that do?

Walter Hudson

October 29, 2013 - 7:56 am
Julianne Hough and friends dressed as the cast of "Orange Is the New Black" for Halloween

Julianne Hough and friends dressed as the cast of “Orange Is the New Black” for Halloween

Julianne Hough probably didn’t think this one through. That’s the Huffington Post‘s take on the actress’s choice to attend a Halloween party dressed as a black character from Orange Is the New Black. As part of her transformation, Hough donned blackface. HuffPo reports:

The actress attended the Casamigos Tequila Halloween party in Hollywood with friends, who appear to have all gone as the cast of the hit Netflix series. No one in the group, however, seems to have given Hough a heads up about her offensive getup.

This comes during a persistent campaign to badger the Washington Redskins into changing their name. It also fuels the hand-wringing campaign to prevent “offensive” costumes from appearing on school campuses.

As a black man, I find myself wondering two things. First, why do I need white people to be offended on my behalf? Second and far more importantly, why should I be offended by something as trivial as a Halloween costume?

I’ve never quite understood why blackface should offend me. The act of wearing blackface does not harm me. It does not take something from me. It does not prevent me from acting upon my own judgment. It does not violate my rights. I accept that blackface offends some people. I understand that it may be distasteful. But I’m not sure why academics and journalists are so desperate to snuff blackface out of existence while ignoring or even advocating practices which actually harm black people.

Instead of wringing our hands over theatrics which have no effect on anyone's life, how about we fix policies which do?

Possibly my all-time favorite political joke:

Q: Why do PETA (animal rights) activists seem to care so much more about people who wear fur than people who wear leather?

A: Because rich, matronly old ladies have a very different reaction to them than motorcycle gangs.

Why is it that the theatrics are what "matter", rather than the actual problem? Because the hustlers et al know, either consciously or even subconsciously, that the only real solutions would mean throwing their catastrophically wrong-headed but cherished beliefs overboard, and they simply cannot do that, even to the extent of seeing them wreak genuine destruction in their own lives, the lives of loved ones, and their country as a whole (the latter being unalterably morally corrupt, so who really cares about that anyway...).

Like the PETA joke, they simply choose the easy target, which will give them the juiciest frission of "fighting the good fight", while doing so on the incredibly cheap, costing them nothing whatsoever in moral courage or introspection.

And that is the very essence of liberalism, is it not? "How it makes me feel" is ALL and EVERYTHING. What actually results is irrelevant, and can always be blame shifted.

Which gives us...... Detroit.
One of the most popular games among white liberal "allies" for some years now is the new keeping up with the Joneses. It consists of scrambling over each other for moral high ground to show how racist one is NOT.

Naturally, in their zeal to succeed, there will be a lot of false alarms, Chicken Littles and cries of "Wolf!" A science fiction writer recently looked at an all-white photo of past, present, and future WorldCon (an SF convention) chairmen and declared on his blog that racism was at work.

No word on how he feels about all black group photos from boxing gyms, Miss Black America with its suspicious amount of black women, and the white crowds and black acts at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival.

Plus there's a lot of Chinese in China and in kung-fu movies. That sounds like a conspiracy. There should be an investigation, but the answer may be accidental expressions of culture and demographics. If not, then the NBA is one of the most successful racial conspiracies in modern times.
Being white is more offensive.
I left out people who wear Sons of Anarchy gear. Definitely more offensive.

Or ricer riders who wear Harley gear.
What's more offensive than blackface?

Mimes.

Blacks who dye their hair blonde?

Barack Obama?

White wannabes?

Michael Jackson? (Liza Minneli wannabe.)

Gay activists? (Normal wannabes.)

Wannabes in general?

The French?

Demonrats?

Repugnicons?

Mimes. Definitely mimes.
Headlines at the "black culture" website The Root right now:

"How Slavery Feeds Todays Racism"
"The Movie 12 Years A Slave Exposes Why the Stubborn Roots of Institutional Oppression Refuse To Die"
"White Women Can Claim 'Natural Hair'"
"Republican Says He Would Vote For Slavery"
"White People, Enough With the Blackface"
"People In Racist Halloween Costumes Don't Care About Your Feelings"

The Root's logo should read "Black, Black, Black, and Then Black. And After That, Yet More Black. And Don't Forget the Black"

I'm surprised they don't have a story about Grant taking Richmond with a reporter on the scene, and the amazing new "Model-T."
Somebody wearing a black face is not news. A negro born in Kenya living in the white house, killing white Americans at will is news, but who cares, Benghazi anyone, of course that was orchestrated completely by Buckwheat to improve his ratings before the election.

Like everything he does it failed, but you still love him.
Your posts are an excellent parody of a mentally ill, racist buffoon. Keep up the good work!
Panem et circensis, Mr. Hudson. Bread and circuses. Keep the masses focused on form rather than substance, and the elite can keep raping them.
"As a black man, I find myself wondering two things. First, why do I need white people to be offended on my behalf?"

Well, because you're black! You're downtrodden, pathetic, victimized, powerless, helpless, in need of being defended, in need of being coddled, and in need of care. Only white people can save you, because they have all the power. "White privilege," remember?

They're generously being kind to you. Why don't you appreciate it? I sense ingratitude in this post. It's sorta...uppity.

How can white people break their arms patting themselves on the back for being kind to you people if you resist their kindness?

I find your attitude DEEPLY offensive. On the other hand, since you're black, I can't criticize you because that's racist! Jeez, I don't feel so good. My head hurts, like it's about to explo--

(Ploosh!)
You sound pretty bitter, maybe move back to Africa.
PJM needs to institute literacy tests.
Amen brother!
There are people who intend to insult and there are those who don't. The ones who intend to the best thing to do is to laugh at. The ones who don't them the best thing to do is to shrug your shoulders and let it pass.

There are people who want some people to hate others because they benefit from the hate. Those are the ones you can't ignore.

Democrat politicians have historically been over-represented in this category.

Because you're clearly not capable of being sufficiently offended without their help.
1 2 3 Next View All