After Years of Looking, a Decent Shave

Check out Harry's razors.

Patrick Richardson

October 25, 2013 - 3:01 pm

harrys-razor-blade-1

I’ve spent years looking for a decent shave.

My beard is like steel wire. I can’t shave every day, I can’t afford to. With blades costing upwards of $4 each and a beard that would wreck a blade in just a couple days if I shaved every day, I really really can’t afford it.

Not only that, but finding a decent razor at the store has been… interesting. I liked the Mach 3 but blades run over $3 each. I went with a Shick Quatro, but, while those cartridges are more reasonable, they don’t last as long either.

I’m not unique in this issue; most men I know complain they can’t find a decent shave at a decent price.

So then I came across this website harrys.com. I just clicked on an ad on impulse.

“Hmmm, blades for $2 or less, razor for $10, $15 or a razor, three blades and a tube of shaving cream,” I thought to myself. “Prices aren’t bad, the razor looks nice, I just had a birthday.”

So off I go to the wife-unit.

“Hon? Look at this site?”

She looked it over and mulled it and said, “Oh just order one.”

So I did. I got the Truman, in Olive, because green is my favorite color. It arrived yesterday.

First impressions on the next page…

I recently went back to the double edged safety razor. There was a learning curve but I have to use the septic pencil less and less. I'm also using the Talylors of Old Bond Street Eton shaving cream. Had a learning curve with that also. Just a dab of the cream on the brush and fluff it up in a bowl. I'm using the Derby brand razor blades in an English made razor with a German sounding name. The nice thing about the "modern" coated stainless steel blades is that they are so wicked sharp they don't hurt all that much when you slice off a zit.
The thing that seems to make the most difference is getting the shaving cream right and brushing it onto your face thoroughly. When I get a better muscle memory and going to try the Feather brand blades.
A good straight razor and a decent strop will set you back a little at first, and there's a definite learning curve involved...but after the initial investment, you won't need to buy another for the rest of your life.

You will also have the closest, smoothest shave you've ever had. And you'll be part of a select fraternity, too! ;)
Terrible handle design...have found that smooth round handles with no grooves are hard to hold on to if you shave in the shower...why would anyone design a slick handle?
Same straight razor for over 40 years.
I I have used nothing but a straight razor for the last 12 years, if you haven’t tried it your missing out. The particular razor that I use the most is an early 20s example but it doesn’t shave any better than my Rogers and sons from the 1700s and it will still easily last for the rest of my life. Get good soap like Dr Conks, don’t use the stuff in the can.
Muhle and Merkur make great DE (double edge) razors, and if you don't mind "vintage" (read: used), there are plenty for sale on ebay (don't worry they are very easy to clean). There's still a wide variety of blades out there, but not many in US stores any more - you have to buy them on line. Gillette makes fantastic DE blades in India and Russia, and Personna has a factory in Nazereth, Israel. Soap or cream and brush (badger or boar) is the way to go. You can get a nice close shave in 10 minutes or less (or longer if you want to take the time).

It's actually become a hobby for a lot of guys; http://www.badgerandblade.com is the largest site (and the best IMO, but other sites are ok) out there for wet shaving enthusiasts. You'll learn more about getting a close, comfortable shave from these guys than you will from your Dad or barber.
I can testify from experience that the Badger and Blades people are a fairly friendly and helpful community. No snobbery and honest reviews of products. I use an old Gillette Tech with Derby blades (amazon subscription) and either KissMyFace or an Indian brand of shave cream.
My husband heartily concurs with your post. He also has a wiry beard and uses a Merkur Slant with Feather blades. Not a good first razor but he worked his way up to it using the great advice from badgerandblade.com.
Straight razor.
Whatever cartridge blades you are using, you can make them last a month to a year by taking care of the blades after shaving. In an ideal world you would wash and then thoroughly dry the blades. If you are in a hurry you can rinse them in very hot water and and then dunk the blades into alcohol.

An engineer explained it to me this way. The heat treatment that makes blades hold an edge, makes them vulnerable to corrosion.
Patrick, it's time to give up on cartridge razors, which provide a mediocre shave at any price. I, too, have a barbed-wire beard, but for the last four years my face has been baby-butt smooth. And I spend maybe $100 a year on shaves -- that's blades, cream, and oil combined for the full year.

Details: http://pjmedia.com/vodkapundit/2013/08/29/hirsute-hipsters-have-harrowing-habits/
Steve, you may well be right, all I can say is this is the smoothest shave I've ever had outside a barbershop.
When Gillette's prices got completely ridiculous, I started checking out other options. A normal Gillette cartridge (either 2-, 3-, or 4-blade cartridge) typically only lasted me 5-7 days, which annoyed me. First, I started buying blades from GreatRazors.com, which sells nitrogen-hardened blades that last 2-3 times as long as a normal blade. Then I bought a Schick hydro (5-blade cartridge) and got cartridges for it from GreatRazors.com.

Now a cartridge lasts me one month. I spend ~$50 for 16 months of shaving, or ~$37.50 per year. I am much happier about the cost of shaving.
1 2 3 Next View All