Rhonda Robinson

August 26, 2013 - 11:30 am

FathersHands

Nothing gave me a better glimpse of the Father’s love for me than looking into the face of my newborn. Only then did I understand what it meant to love someone else more than myself.

The first time my boy got sick it broke my heart. Lying in my arms his limp little body radiated heat. His eyes seemed glazed over with a sheet of pink glass. I thought to myself, “I wish it were me and not him.” At that moment, I realized I would gladly give my life for his. Almost instantly, I understood why God described Himself to us as our Father, and why Christ would die for us — unconditional love.

Then came the toddler years. Although my love never changed, how I expressed it sure did. I made rules. Most of the time, he really couldn’t understand why I said no. That’s perfectly fine with me. I didn’t need him to understand that the big brown “boat” swirling in the water was not put there for him to play with. He’ll get it later when he discovers the meaning of gross, and eventually he’ll understand the concept of germs. Until then, I just expected obedience.

He’s 35 now. It’s not an issue. Although he’s never thanked me, I’m pretty sure he’s glad I never let him splash in the toilet, or eat everything he found on the floor.

In The Maker’s Diet the author Jordan S.Rubin, makes a strong case that the dietary laws given to God’s chosen people, is His hand of protection. Apparently God knew that with enough barbecue sauce we would happily lick a toilet.

"Pigs, famously known as “unclean,” never limit their consumption. They will eat their own young, or sick and dead pigs in their pen."

It's possible to raise pigs in cages. If you stack the cages 4 high, you need to feed only the top level. The pigs in the lower levels will happily eat what falls down from the top level, and I don't mean the food you put in that spills.

But I still like bacon.
I dunno. You could find a lot of Hindus who would tell you that not eating meat is healthy and proof that Hindu religious laws are good for health, and a lot of Moslems who can just prove that dogs really are unclean.
That may be, but it doesn't also follow that the larger society is impacted by it; whereas everything you buy that contains yeast also has a printed expiration date because of this truth.
You don't think the larger society in India is impacted by that? Perhaps you need to get out more.
One of the things that sealed my faith in the God of Abraham was the simple admonition to get rid of all yeast once a year. God did not explain microbes or the undetectable disease that yeast is susceptible to after a year, he just said, trust Me and do this. He didn’t explain what couldn’t be understood he just left instructions like a loving Father that when followed preserved the lives of his beloved creatures.
There is nothing in the Bible about an undetectable disease in yeast. Where are you getting that?

The reasons for the Passover restrictions were considerably more important than mere physical health.
I didn't mean to imply it was from the bible, but yeast does go bad after a year. Not like clock work, but enough to warrant the expiration dates.
Yeast going stale is a long way removed from it being or causing an undetectable disease. It simply dies and is therefore unable to function as a leavening agent at that point.
Do you suppose you could cite some reference to this undetectable disease? I don't remember hearing about it in the medical school.
It is interesting to me that I cannot offer this proof as yeast underwent a transformation between ancient times and ours; the methods are not comparable, nor are they on Google. The fact remains that old yeast is to be gotten rid of; and no doubt I need to get out more.
Exactly. I am in awe.

Also,"ritual" hand washing-- 100s of years before the discovery of bacteria, God protected His people by giving them detailed instructions, leaving them unscathed by the bubonic plague.
Hardly. First of all, a large number of Jews died of the plague, especially in its pneumonic form, which is spread through the air; hand washing doesn't do a thing for that. Then of course there were lots of Jews killed by Christians because of the story that the Jews were poisoning wells and causing the plague.