Rhonda Robinson

July 27, 2013 - 11:00 am

Out of your hat

My grandfather used to tell the story of an abusive bill collector.

The faceless man on the other end of the phone seemed harsh and demanding. My grandfather’s struggling friend listened. When the caller finished his rant, the poor man replied,”That’s it. You’re out of the hat.”

Confused, the caller asked what he meant. He answered: ”There’s just not enough money to go around. So each week I put all my bills in a hat. Then I pull out one and pay it in full. But if you’re going to call me and be so nasty and rude, next month I’m not even going to put you in the hat!”

Grandpa would always chuckle and say that the young man became a bit more polite from then on — and his name remained in the hat.

In last week’s installment of this series,”Poor in Kenya Is a Lot Different Than Poor in American, Isn’t it?” many of my commenters brought up the point that dignity and contentment are key factors for a full life — no matter what your income status.

They were right. My grandparents modeled dignity, hard work, and contentment in the face of real poverty. I had all but forgotten the lessons learned a few years back when a debt collector began calling me.

what Valerie implied I can't believe that some people able to earn $9818 in 4 weeks on the computer. did you see this web link Go to site and open Home for details
>>>>>> http://WWW.JOBS87.COM
Yes, Rhonda, it stinks.

When we got whacked on 9/11 everything changed so quickly for us. The worst time to sell things is when you have to and, of course, I had to. So, for a little over a decade we've been making back what we had. At square one, now, after 12 years.

Nothing like the feeling of wandering the house at 2 am w/ 2 very young boys and a loving wife, wondering about the next 'rabbit trick,' because you just weren't as smart as you thought you were.

Then you get smart. Best, T
This story illustrates the difference between the middle class and the rich.

The rich have no qualms about walking away from debts that are owed and would be onerous to repay or if it affected their lifestyle negatively.

I advised a friend to walk away from a house when the market collapsed and he was paying a mortgage that was twice the worth of his house. He continue to pay for another 3 years (almost 120,000) and then couldn't make any more payments. If he had walked away when I had told him too he could have moved into an apartment for around $10,000 a year.

I haven't had to walk away from any debt as I, quite frankly, am a frugal bastard and never lived beyond my means and have always maintained a financial cushion for the inevitable bad times. That being said, I would walk away from a debt that would reduce my net worth significantly.

We're just now coming out of long term unemployment. I was out for almost exactly a year; a year and a day actually, but who's counting?

We did half the right things, we prepared to manage for about 6-8 months as was the norm a few years back, but not so much now. The half we did wrong was getting way too much unsecured debt.

Anyway, I just wanted to say I deal with debt collectors very similarly. I always am polite and cheerful, I always get the person's name and actually address them with it, and I always thank them for their time. I almost always garner prayers, good thoughts and well wishes. I give them a brief, but thorough explanation about why I can't pay and make no commitments to do so until I have money coming in again. They all keep records of what's said, but I'll go over it just the same. I think the politeness, along with my consistent dialogue as well as my overall payment history (which was excellent until the savings dried up), really helps everybody. I kind of had to force it at first, but now it's taken root and I can genuinely be upbeat when they call.

I was ashamed to the point of paralysis like you mentioned, Rhonda as things started to fall apart, and I think that there will always be a small part of me that will remain a bit ashamed. But just talking with these folks with the approach knowing that they're just doing their jobs and it's not their fault I got myself in this situation, has been sort of a catharsis. It really helped me when one young man I spoke with actually told me, "Look, you have nothing to beat yourself up over. You just fell on hard times and you won't be there forever!"

Truth and kindness go a long way in not only easing the bill collectors' work, even if you can pay nothing, but also has given me a whole new perspective I might never have had were it not for my overly long bout with unemployment. We're going to be a while catching up and digging out, but initially forcing myself but eventually falling into a good attitude helps in more ways than just dealing with bill collectors.
And the bill collectors are just doing their job; The same as an undertaker, funeral director, or medical examiner.
I'm reminded of the movie "Salesman", a 1969 film about door to door bible salesmen, and the emotional trauma they inflict on themselves, as well as their prospects.
A good bill collector has to have the heart of a main stream journalist, these days.
Sorry: I forgot to include agencies like CCCS of the United Way, that have been helping people with sudden financial crisis for more than 45 years.
They can help avoid bankruptcy, and facilitate faster recovery of a good credit rating.
I have never not been able to make my bills. From the time I became an adult I had the means and the drive to make sure my expenses have always been well within my income. However I have been the bill collector, not as a job like you describe, but as a landlord.

It is nice to hear your story and I wish you well in your journey. I have lost a lot of my faith in humanity due to watching people in your situation come up with excuses around their debts. I understand human nature forcing us to resist evidence that speaks ill of our character, but I actually had a tenant tell me she wasn't going to pay me what the court told her to because I embarrassed her by evicting her (note: I was always scrupulously polite so she could never claim harassment and drag out the procedings longer than she did).

You are, and have, indeed approached the issue with dignity. And by allowing those on the other side of your struggling an identity of their own you have given us dignity as well and I appreciate that more than I can say. Many people try to shame debtees as well, as though I should feel ashamed of having the means to extend people credit when they don't have the ability to pay their bills.

Good luck to you.