Why Is Atheism so Appealing?

Who wouldn't want to think that their own intelligence is the source of their enlightenment?

PJ Lifestyle Comment of the Day

April 24, 2013 - 9:00 am

From Tactical Duck on “6 Reasons Why Rational Thinkers Choose to Believe in God“:

“I don’t want to believe there are consequences for my disgusting, degenerate lifestyle therefore there is no god.”

This sums up atheism. http://i.imgur.com/duIMgHP.jpg

PJ Lifestyle values thoughtful comments and strives to highlight those which can start new debates and discussions. Send suggestions for PJ LIfestyle Comment of the Day to DaveSwindlePJM AT gmail DoT Com. Witty rebuttals of the internet comment trolls polluting the dialogue will be especially appreciated.

"Every atheist I’ve ever met is hiding from their own guilt. That, or they believe saying “I’m an atheist” makes them an instant intellectual, oozing with sophistication."

Just the opposite here. Being both politically conservative and an atheist has distanced my wife and I (perhaps even our kids) from potential close friendships in Key Largo. Everyone's nice, but not quite trusting of us. I NEVER mention that my ideology is atheistic unless asked. As far as guilt goes, we're squeaky clean... have to be because we're not going to get a brake for good intentions.
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but "randomengineer" will not break my arugment. I asked for a definition of God, specically qua actual infinity, and I get NO answer whatsoever, just a brazen statement that God is not necessary to explain how the universe works. Since I do not know what "rando" means by God re infinity (which property shows up in any philosophical or theological discussion of God for centuries), I cannot argue with him. Next, Rando- designates my thoughts as "essentially meaningless". So with a non-definition he refutes a definition. I will let the matter drop as I can, alas, only stand a certain amount of dogmatic irrationality.

However, I do not wish to leave "rando-" with nothing to speculate about. I would suggest that he obtains "The Devil's Delusion. Atheism and Its Scientific Pretensions" by David Berlinski, a mathematician. Berlinski will place your denial of non-religious explanation of the university in doubt for you. Or, turn to "UncommonKnowledge" and listen to the interview with Berlinski where in he prefers a creationist view to a Darwinian view of evolution. Indeed, he finds Darwin to be a grand tautologist and nothing more. Blah, blah and naught more. Or turn to the "Proof of Heaven. A Neurosurgeon's Journey into the Afterlife" by Eben Alexander, M.D. in which he lists a whole series of his "death experiences" NOT in anyway explainable by the scientific method. If there are data not explainable by the scientific method, then said method loses its universality. And that means that the atheist's claim that the divine is not needed to explain events in the universe is refuted. I can, but will not, mention at this point physists who need the explanatory power of God (albeit with variant views). I see no point. There is one point, however, I must take up.

"WHY" is atheist appealing? "Randomengineer" says atheism is attractive because it deals "solely with reality". REALITY??? What do you mean by a concept that possesses a long history, about which I suspect you know nothing. Please give one scientific experiment that presents me with "reality". "Reality" is not an empirical concept nor one derivable from empirical events because it an prioiri that determines what "empirical" IS. And that "science" which deal with "is", viiz., being is called ontology. It is within this "super-empirical" (not "supernatural") realm that notions such as "universe", "explanation"and "science" recieve conceptual content. This includes the mesmerizing term (for Randomengineer) of "reality". Unfortunately, PJM comments tempt philosophically uneducated amateurs to go beyond their fields, e.g., engineering, and throw out dogmatic claims. I, just as much as you, Mr. Randomengineer, am interested in "reality" (and can discuss the concept much more fully) and I end up a theist (without differentiating here with the term). So your explanation of the "why" of the appeal of atheism does not differentiate it from the "why" of the appeal of theism for me. For that matter, if someone thinks that magic is at the core of reality, then the magician too completes Randomengineer's reason for being an atheist. I relunctantly and sadly must conclude that Randomengineer has not at all explained the "why" of the appeal of atheism, rather sureptitiously summgled in a reason which automatically denigrates a theist position as contrary to "reality", whatever that might be (and if Randomengineer will look at Richard Rorty he will discover that that peculiar pragmatists holds "science" to be but a narrative, in essence not different from any other made-up story).
WHY is atheism appealing??? That is both the title and theme of the article. I have a hard time locating a comment that unequivocably seeks to explain this "why". Instead commentators go off, often bitterly, into claiming there is no reason for belief in God or God, by the defenders, is seen only under the aspect of revelation. In short, the comments re theme constitute an abismal failure. Can someone explain to me "why" atheism is appealing. Whether one holds to or rejects atheism is TOTALLY irrelevant. Atheism could be truer than true and yet not be appealing. So, WHY the appeal?

As to the comments on reasons against believing in God (and those in favor thereof) I find a totally painful lack of logical organization. Before I judge whether a new species X is or not, I must first establish some essentially defining features or I am just blabbing much ado about nothing. Failure to do this leads to knights in the air tilting with castles in the air with the ultimate result of hot air. So, how about a definition of God.

So that some organized thought might commence, I will suggest a two-fold definition of God. God is omniscient and God is absolutely ACTUALL infinity re his ontological properties, i.e. divine Being (Deus est esse infinite). Now, before any commentator, particularly the atheists amongst them, should begin pontification, the object to be negated must be defined. For afterall an A-theist must know what the theism means that s/he is seeking to negate. (Actually, the "why" that interest me is "why" atheists think they are denying anything.) To be against revealed religion or to find it inadequate is not grounds, based on the definition given, to be an atheist. But, if one takes my challenge seriously, one will have to review a great deal of critical reflection from Aristotle through the Early Church Fathers, the great Arab philosophers on into modernity with thinkers such as Leibniz and beyond. Oh woe, you atheists have a lot to do before you can justify your "a-".

For what it is wothr Josiah Royce, prof. at Harvard unti 1916 has argumented directly from divine omniscient to divine existence and I from actual infinity to divine being. Note that I just wrote "being", viz., "esse infinite". In conclusion I will grant you atheists that God qua actual infinity does not exist and for that reason God IS. Or, if God is, God does not exist. Hint for a resolution: "existence" is being limited to finitude where being and non-being is possible. This is not so re actual infinity (unless a contradiction in conceptualization is found).
114: No meetings!
Most atheists I have had contact with seem to be intent on advertising their superiority to the superstitious masses.

What I find amusing is that I am a Buddhist and we are technically speaking, an atheistic religion.

You wanna be a atheist? Fine, but please spare me the sermons. I have friends that are of other religions. But none of them are as tiresome as the self styled intellectually superior atheists.

I've been told that atheism is not a religion. So quit acting like it is.
My beliefs are better than yours, and yours make you a bad person.

Now that is intellectually deep. My shallow unbelieving mind can barely comprehend your intellectual majesty.

Just when you least expect it; it's the Spanish Inquisition.

On a couple of conservative fora which I frequent, I have occasionally seen serious disdain directed at those who are both political conservatives and nonbelievers (atheist, pantheist, agnostic or whatever).

For some reason, conservative Christians seem to be much more perturbed by the small handful of openly atheist conservatives than they are by the tens of millions of Catholics and Protestants who vote the straight Democrat ticket, generation after generation.

Us non-believing conservatives get grilled repeatedly about how (1) we can't be conservative because we don't believe our freedoms are guaranteed by the Holy Trinity as defined in the Nicene Creed, or (2) we are atheists because our atheism permits us to enjoy a continuing daily routine of knocking over convenience stores, painting swastikas on synagogues, and diddling Cub
Scouts.

But as for me, I'm pro-America, pro-life, and pro-liberty and I've been an atheist all my days.

You are welcome to believe as you choose. I'll never insult your faith and never have.

I don't have a problem with a nativity scene on the courthouse lawn, either. In Jefferson's great phrase, "It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg".

But when anyone says I can't be a conservative because I am not a Christian, that ticks me off big time and I will respond, sometimes (despite my best efforts) in anger.
For the record, I would much rather spend time talking with a respectful, conservative atheist than a loudmouth, liberal "christian." Hands down.
Slow day so I can actually do this.

You haven't said a thing that I haven't felt or thought. It's why only very rarely do I say I'm a Christian, even as I decided I must probably be one. Because, really, there's no end to the people who (like the Woody Allen character in MANHATTAN and her 'orgasm') will tell you you're doing it wrong, aren't really saved, blah, blah, blah. I'm sure to fail the test according to someone. Hell, just by saying I'm a Christian because I decided I am isn't going to pass muster with many of these posters. Fine.
I became a praying man when our sons were born.

Brother, I know exactly where you are and there isn't anything wrong with that. Obviously you're moving forward to how-would-I-know-where? You don't have to fall for chumpy choices. I refuse to buy into the false choice of 'you must believe in God or you will believe in nothing.' I'm not satisfied that every person should 'believe' to another's satisfaction. Living a good life, believing as you can--that is not shaping God to suit you. That's accepting that God is big enough and understanding enough to connect to the likes of you. How do I know? I don't. I pray.
I have never EVER met a happy atheist, or read a book by one that wasn't dark in tone. Also, all of the atheists of my personal acquaintance have been that way because they had a desire to often or daily do things that any Christian or Jewish clergyman would have told them was sinful. The only way for many people to silence their consciences is to delude themselves into thinking it's some kind of "crazy voice in my head", my "inhibitions", which do not count because "there is no God". Worse, atheistic groups are trying mightily these days to make believing in God and following the precepts in the Bible some kind of horrible moral crime,"hate speech","intolerance", "gay bashing", and so on, trying to force their own delusion on the rest of us. The fact that THEY are the ones who are actually intolerant is proof of THEIR mental illness.
Hi, maybe I can shed some light on the problem. For some twenty years or so I have known where I stand on the issue. Newly minted non-theists are sometimes pretty angry, and the later it happens in life, usually the more they have to be angry about. Nobody enjoys the feeling of being deceived and surrounded, even if its not on purpose.

Over time though, we all gain perspective. When I was younger, it was important to me to be able to hold my own ground on issues. Today though, I question the interior motivation so many people feel to have other people think and feel as they do. Some of it must be fear and co-dependence, but it probably goes deeper than that. People get stirred to all manner of violent and repressive actions over it, but I question what the value of any success in that metaxical arena really is.

I am comfortable with my place in the universe, and it has been good to me, as I hope it is to you. If my willingness to reject any sense of narrative in the natural world perturbs you, take solace in the fact that there are no mass deconversions. A secular society can be composed of many sectarian interests, and allows us all the neutral space to live according to our consciences. I know full well that what we enjoy today was brought about by more spiritual people than those that abjure gnosis, but for all of the same reasons.
I have met several atheists who fit your description to a "T". However, I have also met several who do not engage in such childishness.
Phooey! I SPIT on your god!
What a snarky BS puddle-deep insulting article. I don't believe in God for the same reason I don't believe there is an alligator in my neighbor's swimming pool. I haven't seen it and have no unequivocal proof that it exists. That doesn't mean I think I'm smarter or better than everyone else, and it sure as hell doesn't mean I live a disgusting, degenerate lifestyle and never feel guilt. I am far from perfect and make mistakes that cause me to feel guilt. If I had no conscience or ability to feel guilt, I would be a psychopath, not an atheist. If you keep posting crap like this, I will quit reading this site, and I'm sure many other people of good will will do the same.
I've never seen you, but I have seen alligators in people yards. I am more likely to believe that is possible than you leading a happy life.
Er, it's the "Comment of the Day" and not necessarily an endorsed position. It's designed to elicit commentary and discussion. No more; no less.
So here I am, a Christian, someone who believes that the greatest teacher of humanity was Jesus, and I'm taking away from this forum a really bad taste.

I see the mystery if I don't see the answer. Is there a reason that PJ's has decided to drive a wedge between very decent people? What the hell is going on? To what end is this endless argument except the peeling away of the "us's and them's" Something is starting to smell.
Yeah, I'm starting to wonder if honest conservatism died with Andrew Breitbart...
1 2 3 Next View All