13 Weeks: Drama

In which I have to accept that sometimes I'm a bad example.

Charlie Martin

April 13, 2013 - 6:11 pm

Week 10 of my second 13 week season: low carb diet and more exercise, tracking my weight, blood glucose, and body fat. You can follow me at my 13 Weeks Facebook page for daily updates, and you can join Fitocracy (free!) and follow my daily exercise, and maybe even start tracking your own.

On Tuesday the 9th of April, about 2PM, I was at work and feeling very strange. I was sleepy, felt sick and shaky, and couldn’t think clearly. I decided to take off early. But driving home, not more than a mile from my house, well, something happened.  I zoned out, I fell asleep, I fainted — whatever it was, I was looking at a green light at the interesection and then I was looking at a red light with traffic starting to cross the intersection.  I hit the brakes, I swerved to drive around the front of the CenturyLink truck in front of me, and I almost made it.  But not quite. I caught the front bumper of the truck with my left rear fender.  I bumped my head against the door frame, and came to a stop crossways in the intersection. After a minute, I pulled off the road.

At first I felt — considering the circumstances — okay. I made sure the other guy was okay (he was) and went to stand by the car and wait for the police.

Then I realized I was feeling really really cold, and even shakier than I had felt when I left the office. I went to sit down in the car and when the police arrived told them I thought I needed the EMTs. Or else it was someone who was calling 911, I don’t remember it very clearly.

Anyway, both an ambulance and a fire truck arrived, and a rather cute female firefighter interviewed me for about 30 seconds before trotting to the EMTs, who came and walked me to the ambulance.  I’m somewhat proud of myself for resisting my initial urge, which was to tell the firefighter “Hey, I’m just sick, I’m not on fire.”

Your admission of occasional periods of, um, non-success is what is particularly valuable about your blog. Leaving this content out is would actually demoralize readers, who face reversals of their own, and benefit from hearing about yours, and your reaction to them.
article in Medscape on reservatrol on wt loss,A1C and lipid lowering.Effectiveness None Kind of a drag
Charlie,
Cinnamon works by binding to a receptor and causing protein synthesis. On of the good thghins about it is it's effects persist for 3 weeks after the last dose. (Though,they diminish)
I'm still thinking the hypoglycemia episode was basically improved insulin sensitivty, but glucogenesis inhibited by the metformin.
Keep some 'Sweet tarts' or 'Smarties' candy - both are pure dextrose - in the glove box. If you're feeling woozy and crappy (You've been there now, you'll know it again) pull over, lean the seat back and eat the candies, give yourself a 3 minute break to get the sugar in your blood back up to near-normal.
Thanks, Charlie. You solved a long-term mystery for me. Have passed out twice in my life - both times on low-carb, low-fat diet and once was at traffic light. Traffic light incident - I had felt fine when I hopped into the car five minutes earlier.
People in Weight Watchers group I attend have come in diabetic and finished not. Not sure how often that happens.
I have always had erratic blood sugar (up and down fairly quickly) but it doesn't go into diabetic range - was told forty or more years ago that I would become diabetic but it hasn't happened yet.
Experimental program (which I followed successfully for several years and am following now with exception of occasional non-sweet non-fruit carbs), tailored to following and coaching my diet over about six-month period, told me to stay away from carbs that weren't fruit and to eat moderate fats (as opposed to none or low).
"and a rather cute female firefighter interviewed me..."

This is something I've always found fascinating about being a man. You might be knocking on death's door, but you notice the pretty girl.
Willy, There was a link in "Instapundit" today about a woman with a low cut dress who'd deliberately rammed a man's car.He couldn't remember, her face,car color,license plate-but he remembered her boobs.
Evolution's a b*tch. (Oh come on, guys, really, not allowing me to spell out the term for a female dog?)
I have been on a low-carb diet for several months now, and lost weight -- but a week ago, I nearly passed out in a store. Fortunately, no great danger! but I've gone back to more standard meals and feel better. And I don't seem to have diabetes.
There's something fairly odd about this whole thing, honestly. I'd had a reasonably substantial meal no more than a couple hours earlier, which even included some carbs. Starting Friday I dropped three things that could be affecting my glucose -- metformin, simvastatin, and cinnamon. It's not long enough to tell anything for sure, but my blood sugar is at least not going unusually high.
I wouldn't be too hard on yourself for missing the signs. When my 11 year old type 1 explains her lows, she says she feels that the thoughts just aren't there. It worries me that when she needs her wits about her the most...she doesn't have them. Please be careful - and have a little hard candy in the glove box.
At a certain point in my life, I changed my " relationship" with my body. Instead of trying to force it to do and be what I wanted, I started to really listen to it. I accepted the premise that if I gave it what it needed, it would be healthy, and my body and I would be on the same team. It was quite a difference in attitude. The western medicine attitude is that people know better than the stupid body, witness yanking out the useless tonsils. The eastern attitude is that the body possesses its own wisdom and requirements, and the only way to attain health is to comply with the laws inherent in the body. I had to make friends with my body, rather than trying to force it all the time.
Even before you started these articles my general view for years is that trying to undo the neglect of decades in a matter of months is dangerous and psychologically unworkable.

Boot camp for a young soldier is one thing, boot camp for that young soldier forever another. Unless he's a prisoner, he'd never be able to stick that out voluntarily - its too regimented and harsh. Put 100 lbs and 30 yrs. on him and it's plain dangerous.

One reason I love bicycling for exercise is that it's fun, can be varied from minute to minute and gives one an opportunity to really listen to what you're body is telling you about what you can and can't do at any given time.

Obviously the more bicycling one does the more one's body will be able to do. Both fun and safety. Boot camp is drudgery and dangerous. When you're bicycling, you can literally listen to and feel your heart beats speak to you.

After bicycling comes maybe playing catch or frisbee. Anything involving both the arms and running around can be dangerous if one is out of shape because one cannot rest and exercise at the same time like on a bike. That's why working up to shape with a jump rope is good. Fun too with music. You can literally jump rope for only 30 sec the first time. Eventually you have iron shoulders and calves and hard bones and your body is ready for exercise using the arms in free play, not weights. Walking is great to, eventually jogging, eventually jogging carrying your bike above your head. Strange looks but who cares.

These are my personal thoughts and opinions. They are not the 10 Commandments.
You know, sometimes I wonder if you actually read these things. See that title? "13 Weeks". That's specifically because I don't want to plan on these things "forever". I mean, you've got a point, but it's also the point that made me start doing 13 week seasons.

The thing about bicycles is you assume I like riding a bike more than I like some of these other things. I don't. It took me until I was 14 to figure out how to ride one at all, I don't feel comfortable on them, and when I ride one for very long, sensitive parts of my body fall asleep. If I lived in Florida, where the land is flat, the weather is almost always warm, and where they have these great trails made in old railroad rights of way, it might be different.
And sometimes I wonder if you actually read the comments. What fail Burton is trying to get you to realize is that it has taken you a lifetime to dig your hole and it's going to take the rest of your life to crawl back out of it - not 13 weeks or 26 weeks or whatever arbitrary amount of time that fits into your plans.
No ,it won't.let's say someone has a Squamous Cell Ca that's ben there enlarging for 2 years.DO I wnat to spend 2 years getting someone to radiate it,or cut it out. Charlie's doing OK,and he'll continue to do better.As I mentioned he's now in the area where his insulin resistance has dropped enough the previous meds are over effective
Sometimes I don't.