August 14, 2013

THEY PUSHED IT OFF UNTIL AFTER THE ELECTION, BUT IT HASN’T GONE AWAY: Wolf renews call for special Benghazi panel after new questions surface.

Rep. Frank Wolf is renewing his call for the creation of a special House committee devoted to investigate the Benghazi attack after an attorney for a State Department whistleblower claimed that 400 surface-to-air missiles intended for Syrian rebels were stolen, fueling a cover-up.

The Virginia Republican, who has served in the House for more than three decades, circulated a “Dear Colleague” letter Tuesday that touted former U.S. Attorney for the District of Columbia Joe DiGenova’s comments on a Washington radio show Monday morning arguing that the real scandal about Benghazi is the theft of 400 surface-to-air missiles by some “very ugly people.”

“These new allegations are another reason why a select committee is needed more than ever to investigate the truth behind the Benghazi attacks,” Wolf wrote in the letter.

DiGenova, who represents one of the Benghazi whistleblowers, went on to claim that the Obama administration remains fearful that those missiles could be used to shoot down an airplane or blow up an embassy, contributing to the concern that led the State Department to shutter a record number of embassies in the Muslim world last week.

That “smart diplomacy” stuff sure has been paying off for us.

Related: Filmmaker of movie initially blamed for Benghazi attacks: Obama administration was irresponsible. Ya think?

The man whose anti-Muslim film was wrongly cited for sparking protests that led to the Benghazi debacle doesn’t hold a grudge against the U.S. government, although he was shocked at how it all played out and is working on a book about his experience.

Nakoula Basseley Nakoula, speaking to CNN’s Jake Tapper after his release from prison, says the Obama administration acted irresponsibly in initially linking the deadly terror attack last September 11 on the U.S. diplomatic compound in eastern Libya to outrage over “The Innocence of Muslims.”

A YouTube trailer of the film, which cast the Prophet Mohammed in an unflattering light, was highlighted by Egyptian media and did spark protests in parts of the Muslim world.

The 55-year-old Egyptian-American has been granted supervised release from a federal prison, according to the Justice Department. Bureau of Prisons records show he is at an undisclosed halfway house in Southern California and is due to be formally freed next month.

He landed in jail after the uproar over his film for a probation violation related to a 2010 bank fraud conviction

Asked how he felt when the administration tied his film to the attack by armed militants that killed Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans, Nakoula said he was shocked. . . .

Asked if he thought the administration put him in danger, Nakoula declined to comment. But he said the government is “hiding” him.

There seems to be a pattern with this administration scapegoating people who then have to go into hiding. George Zimmerman was unavailable for comment. Because, you know, he’s in hiding. . . .

2 Trackbacks to “THEY PUSHED IT OFF UNTIL AFTER THE ELECTION, BUT IT HASN’T GONE AWAY: Wolf renews call for special …”