Ed Driscoll

Roll Over Ol’ David, and Tell Trudeaupia the News

September 17th, 2013 - 5:18 am

Appearing on his natural home turf of PBS, David Brooks sneeringly describes Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) as “Ted Cruz, the senator from Canada”:

On PBS’s “NewsHour” on Friday night, New York Times columnist David Brooks warned that Texas Republican Sen. Ted Cruz and similar legislators’ rise to prominence threatens the traditional Republican Party.

“What’s going on in the House, and a bit in the Senate, too, is what you might call the rise of Ted Cruz-ism,” Brooks said. “And Ted Cruz, the senator from Canada through Texas, is basically not a legislator in the normal sense, doesn’t have an idea that he’s going to Congress to create coalitions, make alliances, and he is going to pass a lot of legislation. He’s going in more as a media-protest person. And a lot of the House Republicans are in the same mode. They’re not normal members of Congress. They’re not legislators. They want to stop things. And so they’re just being — they just want to obstruct.”

Just as a reminder, David Brooks cut his teeth at National Review and the Weekly Standard, but has moved so far from his conservative roots that he no longer understands, or simply doesn’t care, that he’s railing against William F. Buckley’s slogan of “Standing Athwart History, Yelling Stop.” Not to mention that he must be the first employee of the New York Times to describe being “the Senator from Canada” as a pejorative, given that the Gray Lady, and Barack Obama, her ideological offspring, view the liberal Canada of the late ‘60s and ‘70s, aka “Trudeaupia,” as the starting point for all of their leftist visions. (You know, the notions that first WFB and later the Tea Party stand athwart.)

Brooks intended Bobos in Paradise to set the collective mood of the late 1990s into context in the same fashion as Tom Wolfe’s “The ‘Me’ Decade and the Third Great Awakening” did for the 1970s. But unlike Wolfe, Brooks desperately seeks approval from the same Bobos that he analyzed. In sharp contrast, Wolfe’s white suit sets him apart from everyone who interviews him when he’s on the promo circuit, and more subtly, his notion of reportage being done as “The Man from Mars” deliberately sets him apart from his subject matter, when he’s out in the field being the interviewer. Contrast Brooks pitifully trying to be the Good Liberal Republican on PBS, with Wolfe explaining how he documented the comings and goings of the freaks who populated The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test in this 1987 NPR interview:

Wolfe said that Kesey would often test visitors and try to determine who among them was a “weekend hippie” and who actually followed the hippie lifestyle.

“He would say, ‘All right, let’s everybody get naked and get on our bikes and go up Route 1,’ ” recalled Wolfe. “They did. This separated the hippies from the weekend hipsters very rapidly. I didn’t have to worry because I was in my three-piece suit with a big blue corduroy necktie and the idea that I was going to take any of this off for anybody was crazy.”

The suit, he said, functioned to differentiate him from the people he covered in his pieces — and made it clear to his subjects that he was not one of them.

“I have discovered that for me, it is much more effective to arrive in any situation as a man from Mars than to try and fit in,” he said. “When I first started out in journalism, I used to try and fit in. … I tried to fit into the scene. … I was depriving myself of the ability of some very obvious questions if I fit in. … After that, I gave it up. I would turn up always in a suit and just be the village information gatherer.”

In contrast, having written Bobos in Paradise, Brooks produced a nicely written field guide to the new Left, and then afterwards, cashed in by going to work for those very same Bobos under the aegis of the New York Times, and in the process, became one of them. The result has been a series of spectacular judgment errors, most legendarily, falling in love with the senator from Cook County because of his trouser creases, but later viewing the former governor of Alaska, the Tea Party, and now Sen. Ted Cruz as all falling into the infra dig category of “Not Our Class, Darling.”

If Brooks is correct, and Ted Cruz is threatening "the traditional Republican Party", I say "BRAVO! Keep doing whatever you're doing, Ted!"

The traditional Republican Party has given us over five years of disastrously ineffectual, inept leadership, and allowed Obama and his evil minions to run roughshod over this country. It deserves to be destroyed and replaced by people like Cruz. I hope he and others like him seize political power, and guide us back to the kind of country we can be proud of once again.

Bug or feature?
A bit amusing since Brooks was born in Toronto. Maybe he can dub himself "the New York Times columnist from Canada".
Check this legitimate ways to mak℮ money from home, working on your own time and being your own boss... Join the many successful people who have already used the system. Only reliable internet connection needed, no prior experience neccessary, that's why where are here. Start here...>> http://WWW.MAX47.COM
If someone ever finds the planet that considers this clown a conservative, please warn me.
I never want to go there, even by mistake.
test comment
A NATURAL Born American Citizen is one who is born to TWO American Citizen parents all other parameters matter not a jot. Which is why John McCain IS an American Citizen and is why the USURPER and Marco Rubio are not and never can be.
That would be the "Swiss Model of Citizenship".

Cheers
hello
Thank you PJM for enabling my commnetary. This is just a test.
The pathetic nebish Brooks pretends not to be able to understand that who a child's parents are and where he spends his formative years is far more important than where he is born. Pretending is stupid but lucrative.

If Cruz is the Senator form Canada, then Obama is the son of two commies who is irredeemably from Indonesia.

Joe Scarborough and David Brooks make a lot of money playing conservatives in the liberal run media. It's a toss-up as to which one is more risible.
David ("swoons at the sight of the perfect crease in Barack's pants") is a groveling intellectual lightweight.

"...Sen. Ted Cruz and similar legislators’ rise to prominence threatens the traditional Republican Party..."

Davey doesn't even know that Ted embodies a RETURN to traditional republican values.

"Brooks insists the motives of Cruz are less about legislation and policy and more about the politics of undermining the Republican establishment."

Projection, Davey. Can't comprehend an individual who actually stands for something beyond political gamesmanship.

I told you (well, I did) that the forces of ignorance out there would try to do a Sarah Palin (seek and destroy) on Ted Cruz. This is just the beginning.

Five years? I'd say twenty four with some exceptions here and there. I haven't seen a real Republican decide anything since Ronald Reagan returned to his ranch. Oh that we could bring back to life his bones! What would he say to those leading the party today?
Anyone who could say the following with a straight face is an "intellectual" moron, who should be laughed off the public stage at every opportunity:
“I remember distinctly an image of–we were sitting on his couches, and I was looking at his pant leg and his perfectly creased pant,” Brooks says, “and I’m thinking, a) he’s going to be president and b) he’ll be a very good president.”
What a buffoon. I hope he never lives that down.
The conspiracy continues with its latest players.

1 2 3 Next View All