Dr. Helen

I Loved the Ending of How I Met Your Mother

April 2nd, 2014 - 12:21 pm

I watched the season finale to How I Met Your Mother Monday night and I thought they did a superb job with the ending. Apparently, many people were disappointed with the ending and let their feelings be known. I was always just disappointed that Robin and Ted were no longer together in the later shows and that they ended up together was a great way to wrap things up. It took the show full circle and gave it a twist at the end. It was already suspected that the mom was dead at the end of the show but that Ted hooked back up with Robin was a surprise and I thought the writers handled it beautifully. I know that some of you have no interest in such silly sitcoms but for those who watched the show, what was your opinion of the ending?

I liked it from the point that it made sense in how the storyline arched back to the first two series. Probably would have been better if a couple of the seasons in the middle had been removed.
I didn't like it for a couple of reasons:
1. The underlying feminist message that the cat-lady (Robyn had dogs) fell for the alpha (Barney), they got divorced and wound up with "the man she was supposed to marry" (Ted).
2. The whole point of the final season, Robyn and Barney's wedding, was brushed out of existence in a 2 minute bit about how they unceremoniously got divorced.
3. Marshall, who chose to go to Europe to let Lily follow her career ended up in a job he hated (true to life), but then finally becomes a judge like he wanted. Not realistic at all.
I liked the ending.

However

Barney and #31 had a daughter together. We never see #31 and she willingly gives the baby to Barney.

What would have happened in real life would have been #31 would have kept the baby, Barney would never have been allowed to see his baby while simultaneously #31 used the baby as leverage to take Barney for every dollar he has.

Or no matter how badly Barney wanted the baby, #31 would have aborted it.

Given the theme of this blog, I'm surprised our dear Dr. Helen didn't pick up on this.
Did she give the baby to Barney? We know they had a daughter but we don't know if she lives with him or did I miss something? That said, point taken about Barney's parental rights or lack thereof.
I got the impression Barney was raising the child alone but I'd have to watch again to be sure.

Keep up the good work here at the blog.
Initially during the program, I felt cheated because the story nullified everything that had occurred in the final season (the wedding between Robin and Barney, Ted finding his true love, etc.), but the very end--where the characters finally grew up and moved past the young, single lifestyle attitudes, was satisfying.
I liked it, but I'm not typically a fan of fairytale endings.
My wife and I liked it. Ted's kids had it right: the story about how he met their mother had almost zero mother and lots of aunt Robin. So it seemed okay that they ended up together.

My favorite part? Watching ladies man Barney melt when holding his daughter for the first time. I understand the sentiment completely.
I have never watched this show, don't know anything about it, and don't care to frankly. But what I've gathered from the comments below, it sounds pretty stupid to me.

I prefer shows like NCIS, CSI, Criminal Minds, Suits, and White Collar. They have much more interesting characters and plots. Yet another on and off again romance framed against the failure of marriage is of no interest to me at all.

Psych was really funny in its first few seasons, but this last final one has been a disappointment.

24 was captivating, and I'm looking forward to its return. Person of Interest was as well, but it's gotten a little bizarre lately. And now this new show, Crisis, shows promise, but we'll see how that turns out.

A show like How I Met Your Mother, I won't even watch the commercials. Same for Marriage Boot Camp.
I watched the first 8 seasons but skipped the final one. Based on the finale, that seems like a brilliant decision, seeing as the mother was not integral to the show at all, which is my problem with the finale (Never having been introduced to the titular character would have no bearing on my understanding of the final ending). The premise of the show is "How I Met Your Mother" but what we got was the trials and tribulations of Ted and Robin relayed to Ted's children (and we the viewers) under the lie that this really has something to do with their mother. The pursuit of Tracey is probably the biggest and longest "Shaggy Dog" in the history of television and was simply a story that didn't go anywhere because ultimately it was always (and only) going to be about Robin. Another thing I didn't like was the Ted-Robin pairing falls into the classic sitcom/drama trope of a couple getting together, breaking up, getting together, breaking up again and again only to be reunited in the end. In addition, Ted's kids seemed a little happy about discovering that their mother was merely a detour on Ted's trip to find his real true love, Robin.
I admit that I was not a fan of the show [my tolerance for sitcom idiocy fueled by the constant typical portrayals of men as immature children is limited], but my wife and daughter were. I had heard rumors that the mother would die at the end. But the "twist" struck me as contrived. I read one comment that the show should have been titled, "How I Met Your Stepmother"; and I think it is accurate. Throughout the show, the mother was secondary to Robin as far as Ted's real emotional commitment was concerned. I, for one, and glad it is over.

Subotai Bahadur