Dr. Helen

Can You Teach Charisma?

March 24th, 2014 - 11:59 am

charisma_myth_cover_3-24-14-1

A new book entitled The Charisma Myth: How Anyone Can Master the Art and Science of Personal Magnetism says “yes”:

The charisma myth is the idea that charisma is a fundamental, inborn quality—you either have it (Bill Clinton, Steve Jobs, Oprah) or you don’t. But that’s simply not true, as Olivia Fox Cabane reveals. Charismatic behaviors can be learned and perfected by anyone.

Drawing on techniques she originally developed for Harvard and MIT, Cabane breaks charisma down into its components. Becoming more charismatic doesn’t mean transforming your fundamental personality. It’s about adopting a series of specific practices that fit in with the personality you already have.

The author believes there is no magic to charisma, but rather it is a set of learned behaviors. She gives lists of pointers to achieve a charismatic personality — for example, in the beginning of the book, she simply gives three quick tips to achieving charisma in a conversation: lower the intonation of your voice at the end of your sentences, reduce how quickly and often you nod, and pause for two full seconds before you speak. The book seems like a worthwhile read if you desire more charisma in your life.

What do you think, can charisma be learned?

The Answer is "no"

There is no such thing as "charisma".

Charisma is what STUPID PEOPLE call it when they fall for a smooth-talking shyster because they were born with an improperly calibrated b*llshit meter that cannot detect Obvious Fraudsters of the garden variety...like Marx, Clinton, or the Reverend Al....

Everybody wants something from you....the better dressed, coiffed, and polished someone is, the more they NEED, to stay so well dressed and polished.

Everyone can spot the shady used car salesman, slicking his comb-over and grabbing a blast of breath spray, right?

Its the same thing, no matter how far up the food-chain you go....the guy doing the talking WANTS something from you...he's not GIVING anything away...

Unfortunately, there are a lot of STUPID PEOPLE on this earth, perhaps even a majority....

And as long as thats true, they will continue to believe mere mortals who poop just like they do, have this thing called "charisma"
Seriously? What was posted by 'The Root 83' is the sort of comment that generates the most number of "Likes" here?

Apparently I mistook this to be a blog where "smarter than the average bears" could be found. (Doh! Guess that makes me dumber than the average bear.)

I recently purchased 'Men On Strike' by Helen Smith, and I intend to read it after I finish reading 'The Iodine Crisis' by Lynne Farrow. But I must say, what I've thus far seen, the Comment Sections of this blog are a bit underwhelming.

'The Root 83' is applauded for saying there's no such thing as charisma, and the post itself mentions Bill Clinton, Steve Jobs, and Oprah when discussing the topic - 3 persons with no charisma whatsoever (although Clinton's B.S. did seem to fool the dumbest of the dumb).

Apparently what was needed here was some - at least vague - definition of "charisma".

Ever heard of James Dean? Anyone?
James Garner?
Burt Reynolds?

I could go on and on, but there IS something called "charisma" - a difficult to define but very real quality of attraction that doesn't always correspond with good looks. James Dean wasn't especially good looking, but when he appeared on the big screen for the first time, girls in the theatres started screaming, and they couldn't have even told you specifically why.

We're talking about a kind of "animal magnetism", and if you don't understand what that means, then you certainly don't possess it.

William Powell certainly had it (even if slightly cloaked under a more refined, sophisticated veneer).

I haven't found it in too many women, but I believe Judy Holliday had it. (I don't personally find her attractive, but she possesses a certain something that commands my attention.)

I haven't been visiting this blog long, but it already seems a bit weird to me. Maybe I should just stick with Helen's book and the blog... fuhgeddaboudit.

~ ProvDog
You mean like Sarah Palin?

Maybe she read the book. On the other hand, she doesn't seem to follow the tips you mentioned. Obama seems to. Too bad Mitt didn't. At least not that I recall. Or McCain either. On the other hand, I have always thought there are two kinds of charisma. The kind that casts light outward, and the kind that sucks it in. Like say, the afore mentioned president Obama. I know Hitler was said to have charisma. He had photos taken of himself trying out posses, and hand gestures. And he studied crowd psychology.

The one thing that always baffled me though, are liberals gushing about Bill Clinton's charisma. I never noticed any. But a lot of them did say it was more obvious in person. I'm willing to give them the benefit of doubt on that. Because it didn't come across on TV.
< 2 second pause >

I think I'll read this and give it a t
                                                   r
                                                      y.

< single small head nod >
Sure, "charisma" can be learned.... Successful sociopaths do it all the time.
I read this book two years ago.
Unfortunately, false charisma has replaced character. I prefer someone who is rough around the edges, yet trustworthy, rather than a smooth talking snake. Charisma, or personality refinement and the ability to connect with people can certainly be learned. I agree with a couple other posts that the art of listening is a dying art, as it gives balance to the conversation, and shows consideration. Personally, I like people who are authentic, strong, and correct most of the time, i.e. smart and virtuous. The question is, can charisma be faked? Is there a counterfeit? Obama and Clinton both proved that it can be... Hillary too. They do not warrant admiration, yet they obtained it from the Democrat faithful to the point where the media still gushes and fawns over them and lies constantly to protect them. We'll see how long it lasts... Remember Benghazi! They are cunning and sleazy. They'll be found out soon enough.
This seems to be a book more about communication skills, which are important. The author just calls it charisma.

Why are some rock bands enormously popular, while most are stuck playing in nightclubs? Because the few--Elvis, the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Black Sabbath, Kiss, AC/DC, and others--have something that most bands do not. Maybe they are better singers, better songwriters, or better musicians, but that's not enough. There are plenty of guys like that who can't get a gig. You have to have it.

The French call it je ne sais quoi--that certain something I know not what. It cannot be taught or learned. You either have it or your don't.
To a large degree, yes. But like they say in basketball, you can't teach tall. And the three items mentioned don't sound to me like charisma at all, more like gravitas.
Number 1tip. When you speak, have something to say!
Well, interesting timing, because just the other day I was discussing charisma with Robin, a regular reader of my blog. (It's a topic I've examined in greater detail in other blog bits.)

There IS such a thing as natural charisma, and not many women possess it. (Don't blame me, I didn't invent it or make the rules about it.)

Can it be taught? No. But it can be artificially acquired to some degree if a person learns to display a great deal of "self-confidence", regardless of whether or not they are correct in the things they say.

Olivia Fox Cabane says it CAN be taught?
Who is Olivia Fox Cabane?
Never heard of her before.

Apparently she needs to emanate more charisma if she wants to be nationally renowned.

If anyone is interested (and I don't know why they would be), they can find my most recent remarks about charisma in the comment section of the blog bit below:

~ ProvDog