Dr. Helen

Dilbert Cartoon on Men

July 21st, 2013 - 6:49 am

A number of you have sent me today’s Dilbert cartoon showing a woman discussing why men are unnecessary.  You can view it here and let me know what you think in the comments.

"If civilization had been left in female hands, we would still be living in grass huts." - Camille Paglia

The ugly truth is that the women really do want men. However something that Dr. Helen should explore is why they *choose* total losers for boy friends. I have seen it so many times. In fact, Chateau Heartisite has a whole series on this topic.

Relevant Excerpt:

It’s always helpful to have occasional reminders of the depraved, demonic nature of women’s sexuality, as demonstrated by the gleeful abandon with which the most desirable women hurl themselves at arrogant, cocky assholes.
I used to think that women just like confident men - so they were just willing to overlook some of the stuff that goes along with it (like being an arrogant a-hole).

No, after watching their real behavior, many women seem attracted to sadistic men, psychopathic men and the rest. You would think that a guy belittling a waiter in a restaurant would be a huge turnoff for women - and it is for some - but all too many women respond positively to things like that.

It's kind of sickening.
The female attention that serial killers get is also well known. The "Night Stalker" (who just recently died) had women fighting over him in court and on visiting days while he was at trial. Ted Bundy got thousands of letters, serious marriage proposals, nude pictures etc. before he was executed.
In order to be truly funny comedy must contain an element of truth. And while funny and true, this cartoon is really quite sad.

Women, for all their confidence and assertiveness, fail to realize that it is not men who are unnecessary. Increasingly, it's women. In the final frame, she's replaced by a sexbot. That is humiliating.

Taken to its logical conclusion, the cartoon reveals a fundamental flaw in modern society. Women replace men with vibrators. Men replace women with sexbots. And soon societal collapse is inevitable.

That said, the dialogue does mirror what I've had to put up with, or not put up with, since I was 12 in junior high. It was the early 70s, the height of the feminist movement. Almost all of my friends' parents were getting divorced, because the women had to be liberated from patriarchal oppression. And all of the girls developed bad attitudes.

"I don't need for you to take care of me," she says. Okay, fine, take care of yourself. I'm not going to argue with her.

"I'm smarter than you, I'm better than you, I make more money than you, I have a career! You can't tell me what to do."

Okay, buy your own house.

tick tock tick tock tick tock "I hate my life. I've been lied to! I want to get married. I want to have a family. But, but, I can't find a man."

Buy a cat.

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I've been self-sufficient since the 3rd grade. Yeah, one day I came home from school to an empty house. My mother had taken my sister and brothers to get their shots or something, and I was hungry so I made a plate. I learned from watching my grandmother cook.

They came home, I was sitting at the table, and my mother asked, "What are you eating?" Just a plate that I made. She took one bite and never cooked again. Yeah, I cooked breakfast and dinner for the entire family until I left for college. My parents would take me to the grocery store and have me select the food. "You're the cook," they said. And they would buy whatever I wanted, so I wasn't going to complain. I mean, I had to eat too.

It was the same in Boy Scouts. I was the troop leader, the quartermaster and the cook. No way am I going out into the wilderness with a bunch of boys without being in total control of food and water. My scouts ate well. We always had two meals and a pie. I traded the less desirable meals at the trading post, so that my troop was always well supplied. The thing was that the meals came in packages of four. So sixteen boys in a troop, four packages of four meals each. I never allowed my troop to exceed fourteen. That way I had two extra packages to trade, along with the less desirable packages, at every trading post. My troop ate well, very well. We always had two main dishes and a desert.

I don't know what my family ate or how they survived when I went away to college or when I was living on my own. But every time I went home to visit, they would stare at me with these starving eyes. So I made dinner for them.

The point is this. I have never met a girl who could cook. She can't cook, she can't even shop for groceries, she doesn't clean, she doesn't wash clothes, so what good is she? I don't need her. I am self-sufficient.

This is a female problem. It's an attitude problem, it's a cultural problem, it's a legal problem, and it's her problem. When women start to recognize that they are the problem, maybe then there will be some resolution.

As it is, I don't need her at all. I shop, I cook, I clean, I wash, what do I need her for? Sex? It's not like I can't get laid anytime I want, or that she's not easibly repleaceable.

This is a female problem. It's not my problem. I live comfortably and eat well. I drive a nice sports car. I take care of my mother, because I promised my father on his deathbed that I would. So the modern American girl can kiss my rich white ass. She has nothing to offer me but sex, which I can get anytime I want.

She doesn't shop, she doesn't cook, she doesn't clean, she's basically worthless. Just another failed Boy Scout, that is her legacy.

Men are necessary. Women, not so much. If she does not stand up and accept her responsibilites, then she's worth nothing, a one-night stand at a hotel.

She doesn't like it? Well, then she can check her attitude at the door.

So, it's empowering that women find artificial replacements for 'men', including a battery operated boyfriend, yet when men buy (or make) something that renders women obsolete, it's creepy?

Tell ya what - I raise two kids full time, keep a house livable, etc, and I don't outsource the work to a gardener, or a carpenter, or an auto mechanic, except as it makes business sense to do so (IOW, not for lack of competence). It can be argued that modern life has made women just as obsolete.

Except that men aren't whining to the politicians that women are finding substitutes for the things we do. Women, on the other hand, piss and moan about their replacements (as scabs, even) to the legislature and do everything they can to prevent it, even for men they wouldn't give the time of day to.
Little cupcake needs to examine her assumptions. What happens when she flushes the toilet and all that icky poo goes down into a sewer - does it go away by magic? Oh... you mean someone has to go down there and maintain that sewer or else the icky stuff flows back into your bathroom and gives you cholera? How many women do that job?

Cupcake no doubt loves her Iphone. Here is a secret... it works because of something called a cell phone tower and those require maintenance.

Once again how many women do this job? Pick a dangerous job - any one you want and its the men who do it. No, cupcake doesn't think about the steps necessary when she orders that lobster or crab cake - but eliminate the men of deadliest catch and her eating choices go down a bit. Nowhere on Earth has there ever been a female lead civilization that has lasted more than 15 minutes - life is brutal - hard - tough - and requires lots of maintenance. The fact that she ignores or doesn't see the actual steps required to elevate her above the level of a sod hut doesn't mean the steps are irrelevant. If men are so unnecessary let her go to Africa where men *don't* do a whole let other than fight and the women do most of the work - paradise it is not.
I think that Dilbert's girlfriend thinks that 'husbands' are irrelevant, that the things she'd get from having one can be easily and more conveniently had with a yellow pages and a fart machine.

But, yes, she ignores the massive wealth transfer from men to women via the government. It's nice when you don't even have to pick up a weapon yourself to take money, goods and services from other people, but that's a pleasant layer of abstraction for her.

She also neglects the contribution that men make in child rearing, that's unique and complementary to what women bring. She doesn't know what it is, doesn't like it (because it's inconvenient), so she assumes that mere attendance by any random adult is sufficient.

Most of the men in Scott Adams' strip are pretty much drones - from the pointy haired boss (buffoon) to Wally (withdrawn, lecherous slacker) to Dilbert (useful idiot, frustrated, single, and to some extent, gone his own way). The ones who get anything done are cats and dogs, and the trash-man guru. The women in there are all justifiably angry (Alice and others), or bitter petty bureaucrats who relish their roles as gatekeepers.

Adams does a pretty good job of illustrating our pathetic modern culture, and the grief it causes.
Someday, someone should add up the total transfer of men's money to women. It's obvious that men pay more taxes than women, and women benefit more from tax money, but men also pay around 7 billion dollars in alimony a year in the US. The portion of child support that is really "mommy support" probably dwarfs that figure by a large margin. And there's informal stuff - man pays for dates etc. I wonder what the real figure is. Likely the annual GNP of a small to medium-sided nation going to our "independent" woman.
The biggest transfer by far is "inter-family". Man gets out and does battle with the real world and finally starts pulling in some dough, the housewife has a 50% claim to it. Men statistically die before women, so even a second marriage situation where he has a million and she has half a million (from a previous husband) - she gets a good chunk of his money when he dies. Bonus points if he gets Alzheimer's; she can steal everything away from what his kids would have inherited.

The labor mechanism is disguised. Men work in jobs that the real world needs to keep functioning. Lots of women are paid off the taxes on them to sit at a desk and think up hateful things about men. It's called a women's studies professorship. Or they work in the Department of Education. Or they work at a dorky job and have the same standard of living as the men they married.
Dilbert's friend seems quite empowered. Hiring one's own plumber or gardener is such a life achievement. The usual thing to do here is wonder: if a man says, "I don't need a wife and my goodness, I hired a maid!" -- who would give a sh**? The men he's hanging around with would look at him and ask, "What are you, nine years old?"

Anyway, the cartoon (hilarious per usual) got me to wondering: has there ever been a humorous or ironic feminist? Why can't I think of one?

I suppose some people think Lena Dunham is at least ironic (I just cringe), but she's all I can come up with. Dilbert here captures the monotonic, solipsistic nails-on-blackboard style of our feminist exemplars quite well.

So, what sex is Dilbert's friend's gardner? Those doing repairs? What does she think the fertility doctor is working with?

Yes, sadly, there are too many women like Dilbert's friend who can't see beyond the immediate.
You'll notice she does not mention love. Love is when someone else's well being and happiness is as important to you as your own.

This is just not possible amongst 99.9% of modern women. They can't even conceive of it. So yes, men are obsolete.
JK -

What is the source of the quotation? I love it!!

In my case, it was computers. I first used a computer in 1968, as a senior in high school. I fell in love immediately. Now, I know that there have been plenty of humorous pieces about "why chocolate is better than men" or "why beer is better than women", but I'm serious when I say that computers have made me, all things considered, much happier than women. I'm not going to make bad puns about "turning them on" or anything like that. It's that there is a thrill to making something work that is more satisfying than anything else that I've ever experienced, and that includes my share of physical affection, from hugging women to sex with them. There are also far fewer disadvantages - no tantrums, no demands that I go dancing or shopping with them, and, perhaps most important, no possibility of a divorce.
The quote if from a short story 'Unchanging Love' published in 1912
in FIELD-PATH AND HIGHWAY By E. E. miller

You can still buy it but I found it in the Internet Archive scanned online.

The story itself is about nature.

Men haven't so much gone on strike as chosen other options. Some options require a bit of robotics, others have a longer historical precedent:

"Two people I have known who seemed to me to possess beyond all others I knew this deep, confident, unswerving intimacy with the world about them. One of them was a fellow, half gentleman and half vagabond, who had a strong aversion to work and a perpetual delight in hunting and fishing. He was called shiftless and lazy and all that ; but I think most folks had a touch of respect for him, because he loafed so openly and unabashed. As another man might go to his ofiice or take his team to the fields, he shouldered his rifle or took his fishing rod and went his way, unashamed, indifferent to the gibes of those who toiled. When he needed a little money, he might be persuaded to do a few days' work ; and he worked faithfully, but with an evident lack of joy in his tasks. It was to him an unpleasant matter made necessary by circumstances, but a sheer loss of time that might have been devoted to better things. I have seen him sitting on a fallen log, his long-barreled squirrel rifle in his hand, waiting as still almost as a stump for the reappearance of a squirrel that had dodged into a hole ; and he seemed, from the placid patience with which he waited, to have no care of the lapsing hours. I have seen him, too, on mysterious trips afield or through the woods when there was nothing to kill. It was in the woods and fields that he belonged; and whenever he could, there he went. He might have been another Thoreau if he had had the ability of expression, but he was unlettered. I doubt, too, if in his calm detachment from what most people regard as the important things of life he would have thought it worth while to try to make these hurried, busy men understand the things that filled his heart.

"So he lived and died, a shiftless, improvident fellow whose name was synonymous with indolence and worthlessness. Yet I have wondered if he was not worthy to be accounted a success, since his life evidently brought to himself no sense of failure; and he walked amid his fellows with unimpaired self-respect, for all his laziness, "a gentleman unafraid." "

Some are starting to realize that if men have no useful load to pull, they will rebel against the harness and may never take to the traces again. Too late.
Personally, I thought the strip was not only hilarious but more true to life than we realize. The sons of some friends are now spending the majority of their time riding their motorbikes, playing World of Warcraft, or are out fishing or hunting. All of the young men have good jobs and would be considered good catches, if they were chasing women, but they're not. When I asked one of the young fellows about the dating scene for today's youth, he responded that most of the women he meets are "skanks and ho's" or too fat to be considered suitable as a girlfriend or potential wife.

It's sad really, but that is today's reality.
1 2 Next View All