Dr. Helen

Over at College Insurrection , Professor Jacobson explains why men are staying away from the college campus:

The media often wonders why young men are staying away from universities and colleges. Perhaps the hostile environment on campuses is part of the reason.

Universities, protected by law and compelled by a directive from the Obama Department of Education, have established a kangaroo campus court system in which young men regularly face life-changing quasi-judicial proceedings based on accusations of sexual misconduct at which they have little due process protection.

At College Insurrection we highlighted one such case at Brown University, University without shame: How Brown betrayed one of its students.

But these cases take place regularly as documented by The FIRE organization.

Jacobson makes a good point: “On campuses, there is a very real war on men, but few seem to care.”

This is an important point that needs to be explored. Men on campus are afraid to speak up and with good reason. Even Warren Farrell, author of The Myth of Male Power was stifled by radical feminists at the University of Toronto when trying to talk about men’s rights.

When I was speaking to men about college for my book, I found that many did not want their names used and were afraid that there would be repercussions if their identity was known. I use the word afraid because that is what it is. Men don’t want to think of themselves as fearful, many deny that anything is happening and don’t feel the need to fight back. Instead, they stick their head in the sand and call this “bravery” or “not wanting to seem like a victim.” But they are victims of kangaroo courts and angry feminists regardless of their denial.

The discrimination will continue because there is no push back. If 5-10 percent of men fought back, stood up and started realizing that men’s rights are human rights and that they are not victims for daring to believe that their voices in gender and reproductive equality are just as important as a woman’s is, then maybe things will start to change. Until then, the kangaroo courts and angry feminists will have their day.

From time to time, both as an alumni rep/board person, and as a civilian on the interwebs, I engage in debate with staff, faculty and students at my alma mater. It is a reasonably serious liberal arts college, that has produced more than twice as many eventual Ph.Ds as the second-ranking liberal arts college, which is Amherst.

The notion that there is any merit in "5-10%" of men making noise in defense of themselves is well-meaning, obviously, but ill-considered. Here's why:

a. the leftist agenda empowers the status quo, NOW, with the power of both prosecutor and judge. This is the reality of any totalitarian system, and it is true on the campus today. It is the policy of the USG that any male accused of sexual assault may not defend himself. Attempting to defend himself will only make matters worse, as the leftist orthodoxy can and will mete out any punishment that it wishes, and it will make an example of anyone who stands up for himself. This is the same dynamic that we all know exists on any Terry stop; badger the uneducated cop with queries as to his "reasonable articulable suspicion" for the stop, point out that he is operating outside the law, and one had better take one's watch off, because the cuffs are going on momentarily. In no environment does action in defense of principle ever work when one's opponent has the simultaneous power of accusation and conviction.

b. We see this folly of this initiative by reviewing the Grossman op-ed in the WSJ last week. Even a mugged liberal defends the very infrastructure of persecution she helped establish -- and proudly, judging for her prose, because she fails to propose any solution, name the cause of her son's persecution, nor even bother to shame the subject school.

c) It's probably hard for people who have not been mugged yet, or are not navigating the thought police in the academy, but white males begin their tenure in college *already on probation*. If they do too well, they may be accused of simple cheating (a friend of my daughter's, an Ohio blue collar boy who did "too well" on an econ exam and was thrown out of school based solely on the supposition of his professor); if a girlfriend, two years after the fact, says that in the *middle* of their sexual relationship he forcibly raped her, he *will* be brought up on charges, rendered a pariah, and stained for life (UNC, and though the UNC changed it's mind, there's no place for that boy to reclaim his reputation); when the second-leading rusher in the Big Ten, Marcus Coker (an astrophysics major, incidentally), was accused and then un-accused of assault by his girlfriend, he was thrown out of Iowa. (The police explicitly stated that there was no complaint and ergo no crime to investigate.) (This is an example of a boy receiving criminal, but not administrative, fairness.)

d) The culture extends now to marriage, divorce, and parenting. Don't think so? Try explaining to a cop, who was called on a cell phone by an ex- who phoned in an endangerment or abuse complaint, that there actually should be some evidence or testimony on the table before the cops and the child welfare fascists attempt to, or successfully, remove your child from your care.

Therefore, the notion of some small cohort of young men organizing and defending themselves is a notion no responsible parent could possibly recommend. Being stained for life, or being punished excessively for exposing the hypocrisy and bigotry of leftists, is a pointless exercise. It's no different than the situation one must train one's children for, in regard to traffic stops. That advice is: turn on the lights, put both hands at the 10/2 position, call the ignorant, uneducated cop with the Glock "Sir", and suck up to the max. The cop (the school) has ALL the power. So don't drive while contaminated, don't drive on lonely roads late at night 10 mph over, and give the thugs the environment they have already won. Simply, this is not a free country.

The only thing to do is what Twain advised: light out for the territories, in love and work, and let these leftist angry feminists destroy their own nests. Congregate with one's own, and prosper beyond the reach of the cretinous phonies who have created a broken system, and will defend it to the bitter end. They have already taken over. They will never yield. Men are already disarmed of their liberties; the idea of fairness and law are prima facie evidence, to the left, of the bankrupt strategies of the patriarchy. Anyone who disagrees with them is a corrupt representative of "privilege." The only people who will defeat them are themselves. Let them do so. Light out, and prosper. Any other approach is to suggest that Hannah Rosin or Katie Bolick or Lena Dunham or Louise Slaughter are going to wake up one day and say, "Oops, I guess I was wrong. Would you like to have drinks this weekend?" Ha-ha.
I go to a liberal arts college, and a friend and I were discussing why the Godfather book was worse than the movie. There's some purple sexual descriptions in Puzo's prose that we were making fun of. I saw an expression of fear cross his face and I looked behind me. Our conversation was within earshot of a female student. Of course it ceased immediately. There's no freedom of speech for men on a college campus. None at all.
This pertains to an experience I had recently while travelling on a Public Transit bus in Fall of 2012. I had to write this down immediately after I got home because I was so upset & moved by it, I just had to. I am Posting this HERE NOW because it fits & is appropriate.

While I was travelling from downtown home I was riding on a bus which went through the University. The bus until that point had maybe on 20 people on it but at the University the bus quickly filled up and and the aisle was also quite packed. I was reading a local newspaper and generally not paying attention to much as I still had quite a distance before my stop and the following occurred.

Four male student's were standing just beside me in the isle. These young fellows obviously knew each other and were friends as part of their discussion was related to adventures between the previous year and the current one. Of course for me sitting there, it was hard not to overhear because they were right there and carrying on their conversation quite openly, so I listened a bit because honestly I was pretty well bored.

They started talking about their girlfriends and some general adventures, just the usual surface type of chat but that quickly changed. One of these fellows (Friend A) had a bruise on his face and he said to the others that his girlfriend had done that to him because he did something she didn't like. I don't remember the particular offence as it was something quite trivial but what followed was the most disconcerting discussion I have heard in a long time. As this fellow related his tale and expanded on similar such occurrences, being hit with objects, punched and even kicked, another of his friends said, “yeah my girlfriend is even worse than that, she has yours beat by a mile”.

Friend B started to relate a story of how he and his girlfriend went shopping and that on arrival at home he was going upstairs with the groceries and she was angry over not having picked up something or other at the store and blaming him for not thinking of it. He then related how after he put the groceries down at the top of the stairs and was about to go back down to get the last bags, she kicked him in the back and he went down the stairs hard which resulted in him breaking his leg and having to get a cast which ruined his summer. His friends asked him what he did about it and he related that the doctor at the hospital asked him how it happened and he told the Doctor he had a bicycling accident. His Friend C asked him why he said that to the Doctor and he replied with, if I told him what happened, he wouldn’t have believed me and likely I would have gotten into some kind of trouble. I looked up at this moment only to see all 4 nodding in agreement and a couple of them saying “yeah, that was smart thing to do”. I was to say the least “shocked” but not surprised given the issues I have been through personally.

Friend C then related that a couple of years previously he was injured by his no EX Girlfriend for not being on time for something or other and how she hit him with an object that had cut his arm open, requiring stitches at the hospital. He said that he went to the hospital and not thinking, he told them that his Girlfriend had done this to him because she was mad at him. That the hospital called the Police and the Police that attended there questioned him and almost mocked him and told him that they thought she was defending herself from him and they wanted her phone number to talk to her, so he gave them the number. How when one of the officer's went off to call, the other officer who stayed behind asked him very accusatory questions and that the hospital staff seemed to be hostile towards him while treating him... When the first officer returned he told him that he was lucky he wasn't pressing charges because his girlfriend confirmed what Friend C had told them. When he asked the police officer if they would charge her, they both laughed at him and said “not likely” and they laughingly told the hospital staff, “this guy's ok, just stupid”. Again all 4 friends nodding even more vigorously in agreement.. and the others saying, yeah, don't ever do that again bud. None of them were laughing or obviously thinking it was funny. All the while Friend D was quiet but nodding in agreement and looking a bit disturbed by the conversation as it was proceeding.
CONTINUED :

At this point I noticed that pretty much all the people sitting and standing immediately around these fellows had gone quiet, both male & female, young & old. Some of them were also nodding, in a way that says they had similar experiences but in that subtle way because they did not know these 4 friends and were not involved in the conversation. We all do it sub-consciously, just human nature when you overhear a conversation that you can relate to.

The 3 friends looked at the 4th friend, Friend D and asked him why he was so quiet. He answered with, well, I wish I had been smarter and knew better, if only I had known. Well with their curiosity peaked (and other passenger's as well I am sure) they pressed him to tell... Very uncomfortably he said that he's been charged and is facing court soon because his girlfriend went into some rage over him seeing another girl somewhere but that she didn't know this girl was his cousin. Friend D said that when he went home she was in a rage and started throwing things at him and kicked & punched him and that he just tried to defend himself while attempting to explain that it was his cousin. She eventually hit him a pot or pan (I didn't quite catch it) which knocked him out. He then related how he hadn't hit her or anything and just put his hands and arms in the way of her blows and he showed his friends some bruises and cuts on his arms by pulling up his sleeves. But that after she knocked him out and he regained consciousness the Police had arrived on the scene because a neighbour had reported Domestic Violence going on. The Police while arresting him were talking to his girlfriend and she was telling them that “he didn't hit me or anything” and the officer said that he had to charge him anyways under the law and that she could not do anything about it because they were called to the scene. Friend D was almost in tears at this point and as I glanced around I could see the disgust in the other passengers faces and a couple of older women shaking their heads in that “this is nuts” sort of way... and his friends asked him what's next all of them with serious concern on their faces. Friend D said that he's toast, he said the lawyer said that he will be convicted no matter what at this point and that even with his girlfriend signing a statement that he never touched her and it was all a misunderstanding he almost broke down... he said, I'm not even going to be able to finish my career now because if I have a criminal conviction I won't be able to finish and get a job in what I want to do... It's all over because of that stupid B and now she's off doing whatever to some other poor Effer. The 3 friends were consoling him as the bus arrived at their stop and the debarked.

Once the boys got off the bus, I just looked around at the other passengers and noticed the anger in some faces, 1 older lady in tears and two right behind my seat (male & female couple) talking quietly and saying how they heard of this crap happening from other friends and how it sucks that things have come down to this. The woman sitting beside me had been listening as well and looked quite disturbed but said nothing and averted looking at me when I looked at her, she was of middle eastern decent.

This story I had been party to by happenstance highlights how the system has turned onto itself and the general feeling of the youth and how they view these incidents. Even more disconcerting, is seeing a few of the older folks like myself sitting there having heard this talk between friends were disturbed by it and highlighted by that one older woman having tears in her eyes...

Here we have 4 young men trying to build a future and one who's future is ruined because of possibly being convicted due to a policy which forces charges and how the male is considered the perpetrator.
Modern technology is coming to the rescue here. My advice to all men going to these halls of knowledge is to activate GPS tracking on their smart phones and continuously record audio (on a different device). Back these up and you will have proof of where you were and what happened. CYA, folks!
I recall the first time I crossed paths with a hard core feminist. I was entering a door and saw her a few steps behind me - as I was holding the door she growled "I can get it myself". I immediately let go of the door which damned near knocked her down. I remarked "doesn't appear you can". I laughed and walked off - letting her 'get the door'. Never saw that snip again. Thank God!
You're lucky she didn't go to the police and tell them you raped her. That's within her power, and she took mercy on you for whatever reason.
I appreciate the stories that people tell about their experiences but what is missing is this: As the father of a 6 year old, very intelligent boy, what is Dr. Helen's advice? I'm hoping she has some answers in her book but I think that parents of young boys would love some advice regarding their sons and their futures.

KC Johnson (who wrote the book about the Duke Lacrosse case) writes about this Kangaroo Court a lot on Minding the Campus. I am absolutely amazed/appalled at it. Can you imagine Penn State investigating a rape? And if you have a real rapist involved, they don’t have the authority to send someone to jail, so the rapist is not taken off the streets. But I'd imagine most of the abuses lean the other way since the men have so few basic rights.

I don’t understand why this hasn’t gotten more coverage. There was a Room for Debate on this in the NYT a few months ago, of course stacked pro-Kangaroo Court, but amazingly almost all the commenters were against it.

When I’ve tried to tell others about this, they DO NOT believe me & thing I’m nuts. One can only imagine the other things that are going on with this administration under the radar.
Colleges like hell. look at the ads above the comments, "Sponsored From Around the Web".

Yes, we all need "food".
How to push back-in one easy lesson. Older guys, like myself, with time on their hands should sign up for college course and just go to monitor the class. What is the term for that? It is cut rate tuition and no credit. That's not why you go. You go to impose a counter-feminist viewpoint that cannot be intimidated. You don't need the class, grade or credit…or a date, acceptance, popularity. You can be as provacative as your personality and vocabulary permits. BTDT and it is an effective way to drive the feminazis into permanent PMS. Much fun.
Hmm. I'm retired with not much to do other than golf and fish. I may be going to college next semester!
People have worked for decades to implement Feminist law, based on the writings of Friedan and de Beauvoir, both Communists. Who can be surprised the Feminist justice most closely resembles Communist justice?

Feminism is fundamentally incompatible with humanism and liberty.
"War On Men." Is that what we call bigotry and defamation now?
I understand the sentiment, but this isn't realistic, and not only for the very true practical problems that Bellanca raises,either (although I do agree with his posts in their essence).

For me, the key reason that this will not happen is principally because men are not collaborators but are competitors. That doesn't mean men are incapable of cooperation with other men -- of course we are. But it's against other groups of men, in a competition with them (sports, business, military, etc.). It is most assuredly NOT as a group of men who feels "victimized" by a women's movement. That will never fly with anyone other than the most marginal men, both because, as you rightly note, men en masse refuse to self-identify as victims, and because men are de facto competitors with each other (and often vicious ones) when it comes to anything at all pertaining to women. The most typical and common reaction among *men* to any of the issues that MRAs discuss is that the men involved are defective in some way, had it coming in some way, and should have manned up. That's the way it is. There isn't "sympathy" for other guys who have had problems here -- none at all unless it has personally impacted you or your family. And if it has done, well you're one of the marginalized ones (e.g., "Bitter Divorced Guys", etc.), and you're considered mostly suitable for the trash heap unless you, ahem, man up.

The culture of men is linked to masculinity -- we are competitors primarily with each other, and most specifically when it comes to anything pertaining to women. So, no, we're not going to see any significant number of men who are not easily labeled as "damaged" or "marginal" or "bitter" (and therefore dismissed by almost ALL other men) support MRAs. Not going to happen.

Women and men are different, and are in different positions as a result. A famous feminist slogan was "the personal is political". Indeed that works for women, who have a profound in-group preference for other women that is radically different from that of men -- we don't have such a preference at all. We're mostly indifferent at best to other men, and often downright hostile and suspicious. This is instinctive -- it won't be overcome through a "consciousness raising" exercise. For men, an opposite slogan is appropriate -- "the political is personal". That is, personal solutions to political problems -- that's the only approach that is workable for men, because forming a significant political coalition among men to counter what women have done (with their own male enablers, of course) is nigh on impossible, and is mostly a waste of energy, in my view.
Does it help that the administrators executing these kangaroo courts are often composed of men themselves?
"We're mostly indifferent at best to other men, and often downright hostile & suspicious. This is instinctive."
I am afraid that I am going to have to disagree with that generalization. The bonds between men are very strong & very deep. And the respect that we have for each other is what is going to get us out of this dilemma that we are in. Just look at the local fire department to see how men band together to not only support each other, but then use that support to protect the larger community, our children, wives and our elderly. This is how we man-up. This is masculinity. I agree that the silly "consciousness-raising" approach will not work for us. At this point we just need to come up with the correct approach - and we need to do it fast. I appreciate your comments.
Not when it comes to women, JymG. That is the specific context here -- a conflict between what has been peddled as women's rights, and the interests of men. There is a real reason why MRAs have had huge difficulty gaining traction among rank and file men in a way that feminists never really had among rank and file women. This is a conflict that men will NOT band together about -- it's fundamentally different from firemen.
Perhaps. But when enough men get railroaded by biased family law courts, battered by domestic violence, have their lives shattered by expanded "rape" definitions and on and on, then I believe the "fireman" analogy I stated above WILL come into play. I do believe that. I am just hoping that it doesn't take too much longer. We men don't go in for the touchy feely BS, but we DO come to the aid of a comrade. And that's what I think will save us.
1 2 Next View All