Klavan On The Culture

Messages From Three Conservatives. 2. Pat Caddell

November 19th, 2013 - 1:57 pm

Among my more annoying personal traits is my habit of remembering people’s predictions. A prediction doesn’t have to be accurate to be wise or informed, but when people repeatedly get certain things wrong, it often reveals a flaw in their world view. Charles Krauthammer, for instance, is brilliant, especially in his analysis of foreign policy, but he’s routinely mistaken about what the American electorate will do next. I suspect he has too high-minded a view of the public. A good man’s failing, but still…

One of the most accurate political predictors I know is former Democrat pollster Pat Caddell. The lovably irascible Caddell has such disdain for the low intelligence of politicians, voters, strategists and the human race in general that he usually knows exactly which way they’re going to break. Which is why his message at the Restoration Weekend hosted by the David Horowitz Freedom Center struck me as important.

Caddell is warning conservatives that a change is coming, a big change. Voter dissatisfaction with our broken government is reaching critical mass and his recent polling suggests that the people are sending a warning to politicians of both parties:  ”We’re coming — and we’re coming for you.” Caddell feels that a center right politician who bids fair to fix not so much this or that specific problem, but the mechanism of government itself, has a real chance of establishing a new and lasting majority. It could even be time for a third party to arise and take down Democrats and Republicans alike. Again this will require a center right, not far right, candidate, according to Caddell.

I agree,

The Dems have painted the Tea Party as extreme far right and the Republicans have much done the same.

But the truth is, the Tea Party is Center right in it's ideology. It is for cleaning up the mess in Washington, ending crony capitalism, government corruption, and ever-expanding government overreach.

Precisely the things Caddell claims people are getting tired of. The politicians in Washington have no idea how angry people are becoming, and that could be fatal for them
I respect and generally agree with Caddell (the last few years anyway), but I must disagree with a portion of his premise. The neo-communist media, and recently several established, entrenched, corrupt/crony, far-outlived-their-usefulness, faux-republicans, has portrayed the TEA Party as "extreme" and "far right wing" only to discredit legitimate challengers to the elite ruling class. In reality, the TEA Party is everyday, working class, walking down the street Americans who are simply tired of the corrupt Washington ruling class stealing more of our hard-earned money to piss away on special interests (theirs-not ours) and any project that helps enrich themselves through campaign coffers, or by payoffs to other cronies. The TEA Party is America first: REPEAL OBAMACARE COMPLETELY-eliminate the IRS and institute a flat/fair tax-secure the borders-DRILL OUR OWN OIL and cut the chord keeping us at the mercy of OPEC dictators-and many other COMMON SENSE policies that, if FAIRLY polled to the American people, would result in landslide victories across the country. But, we not only have to fight a complicit, treasonous, communist media establishment, but also established ruling elites who are threatened by truth and integrity.....Caddell is definitely right about one thing though - a big change is coming....and soon. The TEA Party IS "center right", unless you're a communist or socialist.

Remember BENGHAZI!
The Founders have more in common with libertarians than with either party's establishment. I would call them classical liberals. Unlike today's politicos, they valued liberty more than security or the privilege of the governing class. That is why the founders sought to limit the power of government to its essential functions, leaving the people to otherwise arrange their affairs through voluntary cooperation.
Pat Caddell may have captured the emotive state of the electorate, perfectly. But there are no mechanisms to DO what he supposes could be done.
The last chance to implement the Caddell Plan was when Reagan was President.
Now the unavoidable Crash is coming close enough for all to see the signs and
none to heed them; You all will still be discussing political reform when economic
collapse renders the debate moot. Mene, Mene, Tekel, Upharsin.
Among my more annoying personal traits is my habit of remembering people’s predictions. "

"One of the most accurate political predictors I know is former Democrat pollster Pat Caddell. "

Are we talking about the Pat Caddell, who predicted that Romney would...win in a landslide? THAT Pat Caddell?

A man so collossally stupid, that he couldn't even predict the easiest election to call in a century? That guy?

I think, in this case, you HAVE forgotten someones prediction!

I must thank the Democrats, and president Obama, for pointing out so plainly, those posers and know-nothings on the right, who should NEVER BE LISTENED TO AGAIN.
I certainly respect Caddell's intelligence and experience. Anything he says has to be taken seriously. However I don't see any sort of politically important third party getting off the ground even after the embarassing performance of our existing major parties over the past four years. My mother was English and I have been back to Old Blighty many times to visit friends, family etc. Everyone there has been bitching about the Conservative and Labour parties since I was a little kid. The standard line was "I don't like either party and consider myself a Liberal." (As in Liberal Party.) Yet, come every election, they would vote Labour with a few Tory dissenters. Party identity runs deep especially on the ideological Left and I think that is true in the U.S. as well as Britain. I imagine some Britons now say "I really agree with UKIP (the relatively new "United Kingdom Independence Party") on most things" but still go out and vote Labour or Tory. I believe that will happen here.
Yes, they want the change to happen, but they will keep pulling the lever for the same old Party, most of them.

The problem is, people have their fixed ideas of for what the Parties stand. It is a branding problem.

The reason the TEA Partiers joined up with Repubs, was they thought the GOP could be reformed. I think it was a mistake. There is way too much resistance from the old guard, and one inherits all their baggage. So, it looks like Republican infighting, instead of like the revolution that it is.

They would have been better off starting a new Party. Sure they would have struggled, but they would not be having the optics problem they have now, and a whole lot of people would be swarming to join them, now. They would have their own, favorable, distinct identities, instead of having the Republican baggage, and they would not have the entrenched, establishment Republicans fighting to hold onto the power in the Party.

We simply have to have a strong, viable 3rd Party. People are looking for somewhere to go that is not the GOP, and is also not the fringe 3rd Parties which already exist. I think that now is the time.
Our problems lye with the two party cartel! Here is the law from the Justice Department!

ANTITRUST LAWS AND YOU Many consumers have never heard of antitrust laws, but enforcement of these laws saves consumers millions and even billions of dollars a year. The federal government enforces three major federal antitrust laws, and most states also have their own. Essentially, these laws prohibit business practices that unreasonably deprive consumers of the benefits of competition, resulting in higher prices for products and services.

Trial Lawyers Sticking With Democratic Party Some plaintiffs firms are doubling their campaign giving this election By David Ingram All Articles The National Law Journal October 19, 2010

I agree with him. The 'center right' is where we need to be if there will ever be any hope of saving our country. As far as the Tea Party is concerned, they need to organize and speak out as with 'one voice, one mission'. Splintered groups do not succeed - united they would be a formidlable force - they need to be on the same page working for the same goal - Center Right,
I'm struck by how this imaginary third party looks exactly like the TEA Party, which wants to tear down the Federal Government and return it to just those authorities and powers enumerated in the constitution. By limiting the Federal Government to doing only those things only a central government can do (Defense, Foreign policy, Justice), the waste, inefficiency, and corruption of Government will be limited as well.
The Government monopoly will always suffer from the lack of the feedback of competition, which forces continuous improvements in Quality, Service, and Price in the free market.
It's not that they system is broken. The US Constitution is the most brilliant political document ever written. The problem is that the system isn't being used. The government that's currently taking our wealth and re-ordering our lives bears only the most passing resemblence to the one outlined in our founding documents.
Wasn't Romney/Ryan a very center-right combo offered up in 2012 and rejected?

Romny had excellent executive experience, and Ryan is a budget wiz, well suited to fixing the core fiscal problems our government faces, and both lack any kind of far right baggage.
See Ryan's opinions on amnesty, obamacare, budget cutbacks. He isn't even close to center right. Romney is so blue blood it isn't even a funny joke...
I think Pat Caddell is wrong. This Obamacare is going to be repealed. This is because its negatives are now already beyond the tipping point, they will not go away or get better, or less, and more, much more, is in store for Americans from here on out.

But the question as to who will benefit and who will lose - or rather how badly will those losses be for the losers, is now an open question. established Republicans might benefit with no more or new Tea Party candidates, Democrats might lose everything or just a little, or there may be subliminal changes that do not register politically.

I am too old now but I know if I had to do it over I would have separated myself from any involvement with government without making any demands to change said government - as that way lies loss and futility.
1 2 3 4 Next View All