VodkaPundit

The New Honesty

November 13th, 2013 - 9:35 am

Greg Sargent:

This Friday, House Republicans are expected to vote on a proposal — championed by GOP Rep. Fred Upton — that would allow insurance companies the option of continuing all existing health plans for a year, in response to the loss of plans that has taken place despite Obama’s vow otherwise. The White House points out that this will undermine the law. [Emphasis added]

Notice please that we’ve gone from three years of promises that “if you like the plan you have you can keep it,” to “letting you keep your plan will undermine the law.” What a difference a couple of weeks and a few million cancelation notices make.

In a related item, Matt Yglesias (quelle surprise!) is the latest to hop aboard the Eat Your Spinach bandwagon:

Rather than (foolishly) try to ensure that nobody could ever lose their insurance, the actual Affordable Care Act accelerated the demise of a certain class of plan. Politically, that’s now an embarrassment for the White House. Substantively, it’s a huge achievement.

I guess at least the lying liars who lie have quit lying about lying — and just in time, too, as the awful truth becomes undeniable:

Margaret Davis of West L.A. voted for President Obama and appreciates the ideas behind the Affordable Care Act. She agrees that everyone should have access to healthcare and no one should be denied coverage because of pre-existing conditions.

But here’s the problem:

She knows firsthand, as the new law of the land rolls clumsily into being, that it’s not working out to everyone’s advantage.

“I’m a 55-year-old woman in excellent health and have a catastrophic health plan,” she wrote recently to Obama and California Sens. Dianne Feinstein and Barbara Boxer. “I am completely happy with my plan. I received notice that the plan is being canceled and that to stay with a “comparable” plan my premiums would increase 88%, or $200 extra per month. To add insult to injury, the plan is INFERIOR to my existing plan.”

That means it’s working, Margaret. Just ask Yglesias.

"everyone should have access to healthcare"

AARRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!!

Everyone does have access to health care and has for as long as I've been alive. Margaret Davis just doesn't wanna pay for it. Least not up front.

I had major semi-elective surgery back in the 90s when I was a dirt poor theatre tech. I paid for it w/ a combination of writing a check and offering myself up as a teaching aid for the USC med school. And several times, either cause I didn't have coverage or my coverage wasn't accepted, I've had emergency medical care and then... get this, paid the nice doctor with money.

Margret wants to eviscerate the most efficient and innovative healthcare system on the planet and bankrupt the country and its people in the process. All so she can feel good about herself w/ other people's money. 'Course, now she's having kittens cause it's her money.

Margaret can 'effin bite me!
"Substantively, it’s a huge achievement."

IOW, this is a feature, not a bug.

Thanks for the honesty.
Let. Margaret. Burn.
@margie - that was the plan, babe! thank you for voting with your lady parts.
A promise is something you give to get what you're after.
NOT something you need to live up to afterwards.
The Book of Obama

This ACA is the very definition of "Of course I'll respect you in the morning".
Perhaps someone should inform the President that Congress is absolutely allowed to "undermine" laws it made, as it sees fit?

Indeed, if Congress believes the older law to be a terrible mistake, it's not so much allowed to do so, as morally bound to.
"New Honesty", my @$! Even after the pResident repeatedly lied about how "if you like your coverage, you can keep it - period", a majority of the electorate still didn't want PPACA. So the Democrats in Congress, led by Reid and Pelosi, used legislative deceit and chicanery to push this awful thing through. And when the unions and other favored groups whined about how this bill was going to hurt the health insurance plans of their members, the pResident chose to ignore enforcing those parts of his signature legislation that were hurting his supporters. Add to that the fact that Congress exempted themselves and their staff from enforcement of this law - their law. Now the pResident's media claque has the nerve to tell us benighted serfs that the pResident lied to us "for our own good." "Eat your spinach"? More like "Don't complain about the mold on those vegetables we gave you - it's got penicillin!" I hope that this unfolding disaster does more than destroy the credibility of the current White House occupant - I hope that it destroys the credibility of all those who voted for this legislative obscenity as well as that of the insufferable claque in the "Mainstream Media" who continue to shill for this thing. I regard the passage and enforcement of the PPACA as a "hate crime" against the American people.
You know, anyone with two functioning brain cells can fix this. It just takes the onions to do it.

Stop calling "health insurance" Healthcare. Treat it like insurance - I can by it anywhere, any time, any way. (Loose the state mandates and borders). Give a tax break to those that purchase insurance themselves, and a make company provided plans taxable - as they should be.

Then give Doctors breaks for good business practices - My doctor gives a 30% discount for paying cash, offers email/web access for a small fee, and allows his doctors (there are a few dozen) to do pro bono appointments - one or two a week, I forget the metric. Just like lawyers.

Then come up with a reimbursement matrix for those that can't/won't pay for the most basic of services. For instance, wander in there with stage 1 cancer, you get the basic chemo/treatment. Stage 4, load you with pain killers and say vaya con dios.
Like you've said before - Schadenfreude is an awesome term to explain my mood here. As is "wheels off the clown car".

It's sad and disturbing to see such wonton lying, layer upon layer. They still have yet to admit that the whole concept is non-functional.

And that's the funniest part. The longer they keep it up, the more convulsive and damaging it will be. Not only to healthcare in general, but to democrats, and Obama in particular.

They'll be a few more fail waves, Then no one will pay him any mind.
"everyone should have access to healthcare"

AARRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!!

Margaret can 'effin bite me!
Off all the dishonestly in this sorry affair, using "Healthcare" and "Health Insurance" interchangeably is surely the worst.

One Trackback to “The New Honesty”