The PJ Tatler

Bryan Preston

July 23, 2014 - 11:54 am

The US FAA has extended the ban on flights into Israel’s Ben Gurion Airport, citing increased risk after a Hamas rocket landed within a mile of the airport. Hamas is calling the ban a “great victory,” while several European countries are following up with flight bans of their own.

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) is now asking, is the FAA’s decision really based on risk, or is it a stealth economic boycott of Israel?

In a press release, Cruz notes that the FAA still allows flights into Afghanistan, Pakistan and Yemen, all of which are under constant terrorist threat.

Sen. Cruz also notes that so far in the current battle with Hamas, the terrorist group has launched over 2,000 rockets. Only one has landed anywhere near Ben Gurion.

Mindful of the shootdown of MH17 last week, Cruz also notes that that shootdown was accomplished by a sophisticated BUK anti-aircraft missile made by Russia. Yet the FAA still allows flights into Ukraine.

According to Sen. Cruz’s statement, tourism is an $11 billion industry in Israel. Thanks to the FAA’s ban, though, tourist charters are canceling trips at a 30% rate, costing the Israeli economy enormously. At the same time, Secretary of State John Kerry arrive in Israel — at Ben Gurion, incidentally — pledging $47 million in aid for the Palestinians, which really means more money for Hamas.

Taking the impact of these decisions together with Kerry’s previous statements, in which he has accused Israel of being an “apartheid state,” Cruz wonders what is behind the FAA’s decisions — true risk or politics?

Read Sen. Cruz’s full statement on the next page.

Given the toxic nature of its cargo, can we get the FAA to ground Air Force 1? And 2?
Good for Cruz.
At least somebody is not afraid to ask the questions of our Messiah Administration.
Apparently the $47 million for Hamas just magically appear without a new Congressional appropriation.
Punishment for a "helluva pinpoint operation".

Obama/Kerry/Jarrett/Hagel/Malley....is there a single friend of Israel in that group?

Israel "has a right to defend itself". This does not include doing anything to Hamas/Muslim Brotherhood.

This lawless, despicable administration will pull any dirty trick, tell any lie, support any enemy, abandon any ally.

Senator Cruz is the only one in senatorial politics who hasn't volunteered to become a eunuch. (Jeff Sessions as well).

It's time to expose this cabal. And pull no punches.
What a truly awful precedent this sets and once again demonstrates our President and large part Congress far more cowardly than the average Joe on the street. Good grief, I would be more worried about hitting a flock of birds on take off from any airport.

I won't even mention the undue pressure it puts on Israel - totally unnecessary.

In retrospect, I can't help but feel Osama won. Think of the inconvenience and invasion of privacy we Americans without vote have allowed on account of some pipe dream of safety.

I'm far more terrified of our own President's gross incompetency and thuggish nature, than I am of getting shot by Mohammad in a public place.
Obama's 2014 budget proposal to Congress included $3.4 billion in military aid to Israel. Can we assume that Senator Cruz voted for that?
Just because Obama put a few favorable items in his laughable, dead-on-arrival budget that didn't even make it to the floor for a vote does not reflect poorly on Ted Cruz.

Nice try.
Nice try indeed. I'm generally a supporter of Israel. But, once again, Ted Cruz does a poor job of research before spouting off. The US gives $3-4 billion every year to Israel. The Defense budget approved in May by the US House included $600 million for military aid to Israel. Other aid money is given through other venues.
And that has... what? do to with this issue? What did he not research?

Sorry to see you back, FauxConservative. Soros renewed your contract?
In my opinion, that $3.4 billion is one of the few good investments our Congress actually passed.

I was thinking what Israel does for America that goes almost unnoticed but by a select few. Hell, right now Israel is fighting a war against the same fanatics that would kill my children. I'm a benefactor.

Israel is perfecting technology in real battle that one day might save America's bacon. This is a field test by the strictest definition. We're all a benefactor.

I've got a friend in intelligence. He tells me Israeli intelligent is far superior to ours in the Middle East even considering all we spend. What's that immeasurable worth? Once again, America benefits.

And I won't even mention Israel was about ten years ahead of the rest of us in determining fissile material in Saddam's hands wasn't exactly a good idea. So Israel blew the hell out of Saddam's reactors and was globally chastised for it. We should have been showing some serious love for that prescience.

You're damn right I'm a fan of Israel. Yes, I admit part of it is tenets of my faith. That's to the end. But I could be a raving fanatical zealot of atheism or howling to Gaia and would still be a friend to Israel.
Oops. I just assumed that passed. Honestly didn't know. I'll rephrase..

In my opinion, that $3.4 billion is one of the few good investments our Congress should pass. Pennies on the dollar.
Honest mistake.

I don't believe that ANY of Obama's budget's have come to the floor for a vote. But I may be mistaken, but I don't think so.
Good for Cruz.
It's for a shovel-ready project, under Israel.
Bet Obama just found it in the wallet pocket of his other pants...

Funny how these things happen...

One Trackback to “Cruz: Is the FAA Ban on Flights to Israel Really an Obama Economic Boycott?”