The PJ Tatler

Bryan Preston

November 18, 2013 - 10:17 am

Appearing on Meet the Press Sunday, longtime newsman Tom Brokaw admits that he didn’t do his job.

GREGORY: “Tom Brokaw, is this a low point of the presidency?”
BROKAW: “Well, there have been several low points, but this is certainly a low point at a critical time, coming into the 2014 elections, and a lot of Democrats beginning to bail on the idea of Obamacare. What was striking to me about that statement, ‘We should have been aware.’ I would think, given the importance of Obamacare or the Affordable Care Act, eight months ago the president would have started every meeting with, “How are we doing? Is that going to be ready? That’s going to be our big play for the second term,” and demanding from Kathy Sebelius and other people who are involved in it that they were ready. And sending people over there to take a look at the rollout. That it suddenly landed the way that it did, in utter chaos, and it’s not going to be an easy fix, is just inexplicable.

But is it really “inexplicable”? Millions of Americans saw this train-wreck coming years ago. We saw it in Obama’s lack of experience. He wasn’t ready for the job, and nothing in his past suggested that he was. We saw it on what the Democrats were doing and how they were doing it.

Obama and his media allies smeared us.

Even Barack Obama telegraphed that his signature program probably wouldn’t hit without being a significant mess. Roll tape on this clip from the 2008 presidential debates.

OBAMA: My greatest strength, I think is the ability to bring people together from different perspectives. To get them to recognize what they have in common, and to move people in a different direction. And as I indicated before, my greatest weakness, I think, is when it comes to — I’ll give you a very good example. I ask my staff never to hand me paper until two seconds before I need it because I will loose it. My desk in my office doesn’t look good. I’ve got to have somebody around me who is keeping track of that stuff. And that’s not trivial, I need to have good people in place who can make sure systems run.

Five years later, Obama’s “greatest strength” doesn’t really exist. He never brings people of different perspectives together. He is a divisive ideologue. He opened his presidency telling his opponents that since “I won” he could do whatever he wants, before ramming sharply partisan policies and nominees down the country’s throats. He appointed the likes of Communist Van Jones to his cavalcade of czars, to keep them outside congressional scrutiny. And he did Obamacare — badly.

His self-confessed “greatest strength” had never been demonstrated in office and had already been shown up as a weakness years ago. If “reporters” like Brokaw would have done their jobs, Obama probably would never have been elected.

We should have that organization, and I think it's really important for that group to have a distinctive name. Maybe we could call it the 'free press.' And they should have special, constitutional protections so that they may tell the truth without fear of repression and reprisal.

Yes, I think that would be a very good thing in this country. We should all see about making that happen.
If only there had been an organization, perhaps even a private enterprise, that was devoted to finding out things about candidates and disseminating the information so that the voters could make an informed decision about whom to elect based upon the past performance of that individual.
No mystery about it. Obama's no executive, he has no managerial skills at all.

He's a cheerleader. Give a speech, mouth some cool sounding platitudes, and pray that someone who knows how things really work can follow up and make it happen. That's Obama's style.
What irks me most, real simple like....
The table discussed what this is going to do for the Dems and Repubs without a single mention of the American people. Goes to show...
Rush likes to remind us that both Tom Brokaw and Charlie Rose, on the night of the election in 2008, admitted they knew nothing about Barack Obama.

Both should be sentenced to the Dan Rather wing of fake journalists.
Yes, but Rose was probably echoing Brokaw and making fun of the fact. Rose was and is a serious journalist, the last of a vanished breed. Brokaw was never more than a newsreader and now he's just a wandering fool.
Unimpressed as I am with Obamacare, I think we should remember that it's also Pelosicare and Reidcare - Congresscare, in fact. Obama didn't write the damn thing. Congress did. They voted for it. They passed it. It's their giant mutant baby.

Now for them to start bailing out, leaving the President holding the bag, is disengenous and cowardly. But Congressional Democrats are well known for "being for things before they were against them." Maybe this is just business as usual.
When you know that you have the press in your pocket; that they will seldom if ever question any decision you make; that they have actively supported your candidacy and your presidency and that they will campaign hard for your re-election; and when you know you can count on them to smear the other guys on a regular basis--well, what's to fear? Accountability? Say what? But give the press credit: they have been an important part of this presidency, and thus do they bear direct responsibility for its failures. Lapdogs.
Obama: "My greatest strength, I think is the ability to bring people together from different perspectives. To get them to recognize what they have in common ... "
Obama: If you like your insurance, you can keep your insurance. Period.
We know the second statement is a lie, so certainly is the first statement, and Tom Brokaw is surprised? He is part of the venal press that never sees a Leftist it doesn't like.

Maybe we could call it the 'free press.' <---

Sounds much better than our current 'free pass'.
That should be the role of the media, but it has been captured by the Left so the only places we find out about such things are places like PJ Media, Commentary, Breitbart, etc.
No mystery about it. Obama's no executive, he has no managerial skills at all.

Agreed. Congressional Democrats and the Party soldiers are the ones doing the real work. Obama is their spokesperson. Nobody's going to listen to Reid or Pelosi. They are old, white, and horrible. Obama, on the other hand, is every liberal's wet dream. He is the Jack Kennedy of legend, but with up-to-date credentials: African-American ethnicity and New Left politics. Absolutely irresistable.

As you say, he's a cheerleader not a player. Every time he's called on to handle the ball, he fumbles. He can't do much without the rest of his team. And it looks like the team is in chaos.
5 years in, with mountains of proclamations under the bridge, and I'm still looking for a single thing the man has said that is not a bald-faced lie.

There isn't anything in the US experience to compare him to. That may be the key reason why he has been able to get away with it. The idea that the President represents all Americans is so ingrained, that apparently, for tens of millions, it simply can't be dislodged.
The lie that is the linchpin of all his subsequent lies, was the one he told Chief Justice Roberts and the assembled onlookers at noon on January 20, 2009. The only true words in it were the first four: "I, Barack Hussein Obama..."
"Five years later, Obama’s “greatest strength” doesn’t really exist."

Good catch. I hadn't seen that bit of Obamaesque, untrue self-praise before.
You have to unpack it to see how untrue it really is. Everybody knows geniuses have messy desks. And they're too busy thinking Great Thoughts to deal with trivial paperwork. That's why they have assistants to organize their lives for them. And that's good, because teamwork is good. Micromanagement is bad. A leader is only as good as the people he leads. It takes a village. He's good with people. He's a team-builder. He's modest, never taking all the credit for himself but sharing it with everyone who made him possible. Because that's just the kind of guy he is - genius, not power-hungry, team player, modest. Damn near perfect.
I was with you to the very end....but only "near perfect"...that's not how the slobbering sycophants see it.

No sinecure for you

One Trackback to “Tom Brokaw Mystified by Obamacare’s Chaotic Rollout”