The PJ Tatler

Bridget Johnson

September 20, 2013 - 8:00 am

The victory committee for Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas), which is authorized and composed of Ted Cruz for Senate and the Jobs Growth and Freedom Fund (Cruz’s PAC), is offering constitutional goodies in its “Constitution Week Money Bomb.” With a donation of $500 you get a pocket Constitution signed by Cruz, and with $1,000 you get a “personalized” Constitution inscribed with a message from Cruz addressed to you. (A check of Rand PAC, Sen. Marco Rubio’s (R-Fla.) Reclaim America PAC, and Sen. Mike Lee’s (R-Utah) campaign page found no gifts with donation currently being offered.)

cruzconstitution

Sound off with your thoughts: Is it cool for a politician to fundraise using the Constitution, is it disrespectful, or other?

Bridget Johnson is a veteran journalist whose news articles and opinion columns have run in dozens of news outlets across the globe. Bridget first came to Washington to be online editor at The Hill, where she wrote The World from The Hill column on foreign policy. Previously she was an opinion writer and editorial board member at the Rocky Mountain News and nation/world news columnist at the Los Angeles Daily News. She is an NPR contributor and has contributed to USA Today, The Wall Street Journal, National Review Online, Politico and more, and has myriad television and radio credits as a commentator. Bridget is Washington Editor for PJ Media.

I understand your hesitancy, but...if it revives the national interest I am gung ho. Between Mark Levin's new book, the fascist in the WH, the largest crime syndicate in America, the democrap party, the Tea Party and web sites like this, more and more people are beginning to become aware of that glorious document. I have never heard it spoken about more since the crud took the oath of office and swore to uphold it. Just as an aside - how do you take that oath and then vow to fundamentally" transform the United States? Did anyone ever ask him that?
This would be a problem for me if it were done by the majority of our lawmakers. For example, Nancy Pelosi? That would be rank hypocrisy.

However, Cruz has shown that he understands and respects our Constitution, so, no problem.
It's a symbolic gesture, nothing more. I would love to have a pocket constitution signed by Ted Cruz and if I had a spare $500 I might even send it to him. He may be the only one in the Senate who's ever read it.
I think the real shame here is that this is even a legitimate marketing pitch. We should be able to take for granted that our citizens are familiar with our foundational documents and that ALL of our elected officials respect them. Sadly and tragically I know that's not the case.
It's not a Bible or a Koran, and it's not the flag.
My point being, the Constitution isn't the property of a robed and anointed priesthood to whom all must defer; it's the property of each American.

That means any American may make what use of a copy of its words as he may see fit. I got no problem with it.
Exactly!
I'd rather they fundraise *on* the Constitution.