The PJ Tatler

Bryan Preston

August 14, 2013 - 2:02 pm

This afternoon I made a raid into Austin to chat with Texas Land Commissioner Jerry Patterson. Patterson, a US Marine Corps veteran of Vietnam and a veteran of Texas’ fight for our way of life against liberalism, is running for lieutenant governor. That race is boiling up to be Texas’ most competitive, with Patterson, Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst, state Sen. Dan Patrick and Agriculture Commissioner Todd Staples all vying for the seat in the Republican primary. The Democrats may or may not have a candidate by then, but it won’t matter.

Patterson answered questions on a range of subjects, from why he is seeking the state’s most powerful office, to how can Texas maintain its place atop the nation’s economic rankings.

And we talked about guns.

Patterson is a staunch Second Amendment advocate, as are all of the other candidates in the race, but Patterson bears the distinction of writing Senate Bill 60, which took effect in 1996. (Patterson was a state senator at the time.) That is the Lone Star State’s concealed handgun carry law. As Patterson noted on the law’s 10th anniversary in 2006, opponents of the law predicted shootouts at stop lights, blood running in the streets, and Texas reverting to the lawlessness of the Wild West. It didn’t happen. To the extent that any of that has come true, it’s in anti-gun Chicago, not Texas, which has seen violent crime rates go lower than before concealed carry became legal, while Chicago’s murder rate has gotten out of control.

More guns, less crime. That made me curious: Is there a possibility that Texas could pass an open carry law if Patterson is elected lieutenant governor?

"...I don’t want to get out of the truck and have to put my jacket on because I’ve got an inside the waistband holster with a .380 in it. I don’t want to have to be concerned about inadvertent display of a weapon if the wind blows your jacket up, or shirttail.”

Calm, logical, responsible reasons for “open carry” to NOT be a criminal offense. Its the same mindset I try to explain to my Liberal Friends, when I 'defend" carrying my concealed firearm EVERYWHERE I go once I leave my home.

“So, you would carry a gun in… Starbucks? ”

Yes, of course.

“You think Starbucks is THAT dangerous?”

No, not at all… leaving it in my car, beyond my ability to guarantee it STAYS secure should someone break INTO my car while I’m sitting here drinking coffee…I think THAT’S dangerous. And irresponsible.

What is the ADDED VALUE of having to repeatedly "play" with it before I enter a bank, school, or restaurant while going about my day.

Being forced to “handle and re-handle” a loaded firearm several times a day depending on where I go is certainly LESS safe…. And it would certainly raise MORE public unease and consternation should someone SEE ME doing that…in parking lots, inside my car, or in restrooms…than the logical and safer option I believe in…that is, just leaving it where it is…on my person, under my control.

Really good interview. Patterson lays out the reasons for Open Carry legislation without frightening the horses.
Somedays you just need a "like" button!
Sorry 2nd AmendmentMother, hit the wrong button. Repost please. IPhone buttons a bit too small.
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition. Amen.
Just for accuracy. Florida doesn't allow open carry and has had, like Texas, a devil of a time getting even inadvertent exposure decriminalized in practice.
Open carry - for all law abiding citizens - surely lets criminals and others understand that messing around in such and such state is a NO GO zone. And, the fact that leftists go postal over guns attests to what is going on - http://adinakutnicki.com/2013/01/03/leftists-go-postal-over-gun-control-threatening-to-kill-legal-gun-owners-commentary-by-adina-kutnicki/.

In other words, the way to gain totalitarian control - via a police state - is to grab all the guns! This is precisely why the Second Amendment is so precious and must never be eviscerated.

Therefore, whichever candidate understands this best is the one most suited, at least in the arena of public safety and privacy rights.

Adina Kutnicki, Israel http://adinakutnicki.com/about/
Adina: Thank you for your insight and commentary on this site. Researching the 1934 World Communist Congress of the Soviet Union (again). Any leads would be appreciated. Hitting a lot of dead ends. Particularly interested in the Soviet documents that were released after the fall... And retracted from public view shortly after. Need info, leads.

Word has it, that besides Stalin, there were 2 suvivors. Need their story.
"“Yes, there is. As lieutenant governor, that’s one of my Second Amendment objectives is open carry,”

“Frankly, you don’t have to have a reason for enhancing liberty."

Okay, where can we donate to clone this guy?
I'm a native Texan, though unfortunately I don't live there any more. I've been surprised that Texas lags behind many states in their 2A laws, so this should help catch up. Their laws about 'open-carry' knives are behind too.

“So, you would carry a gun in… Starbucks? ”

Yes, of course.

“You think Starbucks is THAT dangerous?”

I don't remember where I read it, but:
UNARMED PERSON: [SEES PISTOL] "You expecting trouble?"
CARRIER: "Heck, no. If I was EXPECTING trouble, I'd have brought my shotgun. This is just in case."

ANY business establishment, or any other place where people might gather, can become "dangerous" in a split second when somebody intent on robbery, or just shooting up the place, walks in.

But, open carry can be hazardous to the carrier. If a would-be robber walks in a place and sees a Glock on somebodies hip, he will have one of two reactions. The more likely, I hope, is to turn and run away. But there might be another more deadly outcome for the Glock carrier, one that wouldn't have happened had the weapon been concealed.
Yep.

But that needs to be left as a personal decision, not regulated as a matter of law.
This is an excellent sentence, and should be read slowly and carefully:

"Too bad Liberals are so emotional and without Adult Critical Thinking Skills. The constant Projection of their “feelings” regarding their own immaturity/insecurity/ inferiority upon the rest of us, is a real drag."

Our national problem is summed up right here by pointing out that the vulnerable, impressionable, un-enducated, ill-educated - and growing - electorate who twice put this chameleon Obama in office is slowing becoming a permanent majority.

The Republicans and or Conservatives have a massive job on their hands right now in countering this so far successful dis-information campaign of the Democrats/racists. But today's crop of Conservatives/Republicans seem to be so passive and leaderless.

These Republicans'/Conservatives' immediate problem is that to increase their votes, they must reach deeply into this ill-educated pool without sacrificing Conservative values.

We're in one helluva mess right now.

Two words:

Ted Cruz
point of order: the leftist voter base, in their eternal quest to decrease their personal responsibilities and increase their ability to practice hedonism, are fulfilling Margaret Sanger's wishes in aborting themselves out of existence. That's why the Left needs Amnesty. Were their voter base not refreshed by ignorant knee-jerk Leftist Kool-Aid consuming illegals from Latin America, conservatives would constitute a strong American majority again in a few decades. Hold the line on open borders and don't lose hope. We have problems in the short term, but our grandkids may yet live in a free, State-centric Republic. Up with the Restoration!
“So, you would carry a gun in… Starbucks? ”

Yes, of course.

“You think Starbucks is THAT dangerous?”

Silly you! Don't you know that Starbucks is a liberal place? I mean, it's part of the liberal culture! It's an ICON! It can't POSSIBLY be dangerous!

Next thing you know, you'll start thinking that some nut would try to shoot up a church or movie theater!

Everybody KNOWS that shootings only happen in gas stations and 7-11s in bad parts of town!

You are REALLY paranoid!
Looks like he gets my vote. I moved here from NM 3 years ago and was really amazed that TX does not open (Constitutional) carry. Never had a problem in NM.

Even the local cops liked it. They would set up under my tree and run speed traps. They never once said anything besides what I had and expressed the idea they wished they could carry a Sig! They did not like their Glocks.
Somedays you just need a "like" button!