The PJ Tatler

Bridget Johnson

July 8, 2013 - 6:48 am

To critics who say that he’s building women’s clinics in Africa in an attempt to rehabilitate his legacy, President George W. Bush said “let them babble.”

The president and former first lady Laura Bush have been in Zambia working on establishing screening programs for cervical cancer. “They have been saved from HIV through antiretroviral drugs, yet they’re dying of cervical cancer. We think it’s needless, and we’re trying to do something about it,” Bush said.

Bush told ABC he “meant that I’m not going to answer the question then and I’m not going to answer it now in terms of the political question about whether or not, I just don’t want to weigh back in the debate. I’m out of politics.”

“But I meant it’s very important for people not to be overly critical of someone else until you’ve examined your own heart,” he added.

ABC pressed Bush on whether he’s “evolved” on same-sex marriage.

“I’m not going to weigh back into those kinds of issues. I’m out of politics. The only way I can really make news is either criticize the president, which I don’t want to do, criticize my own party, or weigh in on a controversial issue. And I’m off the stage,” the president said. “Unless I’m promoting something I strongly believe in, and I believe that what we’re doing in Africa is incredibly important. And will continue to do so, so long as I’m ambulatory.”

On the immigration reform bill, Bush said “it’s very important to fix a broken system, to treat people with respect.”

“And have confidence in our capacity to assimilate people. It’s a very difficult bill to pass because there is a lot of moving parts, and the legislative process is — can be ugly. And — but it looks like they’re making some progress,” he continued.

“The reason to pass immigration reform is not to bolster a Republican Party, it’s to fix a system that’s broken. Good policy yields good politics, as far as I’m concerned.”

Bridget Johnson is a veteran journalist whose news articles and opinion columns have run in dozens of news outlets across the globe. Bridget first came to Washington to be online editor at The Hill, where she wrote The World from The Hill column on foreign policy. Previously she was an opinion writer and editorial board member at the Rocky Mountain News and nation/world news columnist at the Los Angeles Daily News. She is an NPR contributor and has contributed to USA Today, The Wall Street Journal, National Review Online, Politico and more, and has myriad television and radio credits as a commentator. Bridget is Washington Editor for PJ Media.

This view that one cannot make judgments because I have a log in my eye is a misuse and abuse of Scripture. I wonder if I asked GWB if he thought that incest was wrong if he would say, "Sorry, but I can't judge because I have a log in my eye"? If you use the excuse that because I am not perfect; therefore, I can't judge anyone or anything, you end up in an impossible and dangerous situation. First of all, God judges and requires his followers to judge. God judged Sodom and Gomorrah and He unequivocally condemns all forms of homosexuality. Ever since Christian morality became the predominate ethical foundation of Europe and American, homosexuality was judged to be wrong. Even nature tell you that homosexuality is contrary to nature. Wrong is wrong.
GWB had a ton of flaws as president but a lack of class is not one of them.
Carter, Clinton and Obama could learn a lesson or two from Bush.
Bush really isn't as principled as he claims to be. I remember when he signed McCain-Feingold Abridgement of Free Speech Act into law. The administrtrations statement was words to the effect that we believe it is unconstitutional, but we're going to sign it anyway anfd let the Supreme Court deal with it. That is some principle.

More to the point, the evisceration of DOMA is a radical, revolutionary putsch by leftist leadership. And the heads of the gay movement are radical to their core. As to individual couples, well, that is another matter. Either way, this is the result - http://adinakutnicki.com/2013/06/28/the-gay-in-chief-exposes-himself-once-again-excited-about-knocking-down-doma-makes-time-to-call-gay-couple-why-commentary-by-adina-kutnicki/

Mind you, I voted for Bush twice, as their was no alternative. But make no mistake, this is the SAME man who truly believed that democracy can be implanted into the belly of the Islamic beast. I knew better, but he called the shots!

Adina Kutnicki, Israel http://adinakutnicki.com/about/
"Bush is a nice enough gu,y but his achilles heel is that he wants to be liked. In other words, he thinks with his heart, instead of with his brains."

You have nailed it, Adina. This is the problem exactly. And he's got a GOOD heart. I'm persuaded he's really a nice guy. That's not an act. He's the real deal.

But he's very poorly educated, in terms of political philosophy, history, and Bionically.

The results are not good.

"My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge."
Bionically?

AAAGHHHH! Auto-correct strikes again! :D

I meant to say, "Biblically".
----- “I’m trying to think of the proper word,” Bush told ABC News in an interview aired Sunday. “Absurd psycho-babble.”

Uh, no, George, we call that a "phrase" -- could somebody lend him Barry's spare teleprompter?
Just because he says don't prejudge somebody doesn't mean he doesn't still regard gay sex or gay marriage as wrong. Just a genuinely nice guy being a nice guy. As a libertarian I myself feel the same way. Don't prejudge somebody based on one thing.
Yes, but this kind of sentimental claptrap is par for the course for a Methodist.
G.W. Bush is a "population control" adherent.
Templars, Skull & Bones, Masons all subscribe to this quackery.
"Population Control" in the USA is exemplified by two main organizations:
1) LGBT'ers and
2) Abortionists, Pro-Choicer'ers, Planned Parenthood et al.
See, on the one hand LGBT'ers can't procreate, while on the other Abortionist's treat fetus' as parasites and must be extirpated from the host...both "population Control"
This puts G.W. Bush, well all "Bush's," in direct conflict with NKJV Bible!!! Nowhere does either LGBT nor Abortion arise!!!! Quite the opposite, NKJV Bible celebrates marriages between one man and one woman as well as procreation. G.W. Bush has a serious reconciliation with his "maker' to atone for. Pray. Amen. Join a Tea Party and celebrate with other Patriots the wonderment of life!!!!

It's refreshing, once again, to hear someone answer a question truthfully and without a pause to quickly (or agonizingly slowly if he is Obama) assess what answer will place him in the best political light.
The problem is, artghost, is W didn't answer the question.
"The president was asked about what he told a Zambian journalist when asked whether gay marriage is compatible with Christian values: “I shouldn’t be taking a speck out of somebody else’s eye when I have a log in my own,” he told the journalist."

But, the journalist didn't ask the former President whether he was judging gay; he asked Bush whether gay marriage was compatible to Christian "values".

To parse the W's response: "I am for gay marriage, but for obvious political reasons I'm not going to admit it. No telling how much the Little People will take out their bigotry on Jeb Bush when he runs for office soon if I admit to such beliefs"
I guess to Bush all laws are now null and void cause we wouldn't want to judge anyone since none of us are sinless. I sure that is what Jesus meant.

Hey George, just stay on the sidelines please... we don't need you doubling the national debt again. I'm no theology nut but... I guess Jesus didn't specially say you shouldn't steal from future generations, did He?
Does the former President pay more than lip service to what, and whom, does not change?

Same sex marriage is just another attempt for special status, for those who think they are entitled to it, because they have given up looking for good in the differences that exist between men and women.
GWB had a ton of flaws as president but a lack of class is not one of them.
Carter, Clinton and Obama could learn a lesson or two from Bush.
Yes, they could.