Get PJ Media on your Apple

The PJ Tatler

by
Bridget Johnson

Bio

May 8, 2013 - 8:04 am

The Pentagon has responded to the House Armed Services Committee’s request for the classified timeline of the night of the Benghazi attack by claiming it doesn’t exist.

Chairman Buck McKeon (R-Calif.) requested the document in an April 17 letter. Elizabeth King, assistant secretary of defense for legislative affairs, responded on May 1 with the unclassified timeline — which Congress saw in November — attached.

“The Department did not produce a formal classified timeline, but rather only draft working products to assist witnesses and briefers in preparation for numerous Congressional engagements,” King wrote. “By practice, such draft working products are not distributed beyond DoD.”

She said the Pentagon “contributed” to the classified National Counterterrorism Center timeline provided to certain members of Congress on Nov. 14.

“The Department has participated in numerous staff and Member engagements including classified briefings to Committees of jurisdiction,” King continues. “The Department has also responded to dozens of written requests for information in an effort to provide Congress a detailed chronology of the Department’s actions surrounding the attack.”

“I am well aware of the unclassified interagency timeline Ms. King refers to in her letter.  I find it insufficient, which is why I requested additional information from the Department of Defense. DoD’s explanation that no further information is available is equally insufficient and unacceptable,” McKeon said today.

“The department has been generally cooperative with this committee in getting to the bottom of what went wrong in Benghazi. They have supported a number of classified and unclassified exchanges with members and staff,” he added. “That does not mean that the process now comes to an end, or that the wealth of potential information has been exhausted. I am deeply disappointed in the department’s response and am committed to continuing the Armed Services Committee’s oversight into the tragedy at Benghazi.”

 

Bridget Johnson is a career journalist whose news articles and opinion columns have run in dozens of news outlets across the globe. Bridget first came to Washington to be online editor at The Hill, where she wrote The World from The Hill column on foreign policy. Previously she was an opinion writer and editorial board member at the Rocky Mountain News and nation/world news columnist at the Los Angeles Daily News. She has contributed to USA Today, The Wall Street Journal, National Review Online, Politico and more, and has myriad television and radio credits as a commentator. Bridget is Washington Editor for PJ Media.

Comments are closed.

All Comments   (6)
All Comments   (6)
Sort: Newest Oldest Top Rated
I don't think that now one of the hijacked planes of 9/11/2001 would be used to hit the Pentagon as the pentagon is now an al Qaeda ally.
49 weeks ago
49 weeks ago Link To Comment
This retired Senior NCO calls Complete BS on the claim they don't have a timeline. One would have been constructed for the After Action Report. Someone at DoD is lying about this.
49 weeks ago
49 weeks ago Link To Comment
Who told General Hamm [Commander, Africom, Stuttgart, Germany] that he could not send assets to Benghazi and then called Hamm's XO and ordered him to prevent Hamm from doing so?
49 weeks ago
49 weeks ago Link To Comment
So they are claiming they didn't do their homework?
49 weeks ago
49 weeks ago Link To Comment
As usual, the denial is more damning than the data...or is it ?
49 weeks ago
49 weeks ago Link To Comment
In all likelihood the data is far more damning.
49 weeks ago
49 weeks ago Link To Comment
View All