The revolution is online! In case you’ve never checked out Occupy DC’s website, it’s worth it for the announcements section alone. And lo and behold, the plan of action to “liberate discourse” at this week’s Conservative Political Action Conference is up. Their wording reads like an SNL caricature of Occupy protesters, with their vow to “create as much non-violent resistance as possible, and make this a conference the attendees will never forget”:
On February 9th through February 11th, a who’s who of dastardly politicians will be holding the Conservative Political Action Conference at the Marriot Wardman Park Hotel at 2660 Woodley Road, NW. Similar to the Alfalfa Club dinner, this event is another gathering of bigots, media mouthpieces, corrupt politicians, and their 1 percent elite puppet masters.
CPAC will parade and attempt to perpetuate the radical right wing’s imperialist ideologies with keynote speakers, movies and banquets dedicated to pursuing its racist, sexist, patriarchal and exploitative agenda.
…We are the 99%. We are unstoppable. Another world is possible.
Occupy DC, which still advertises a “24/7/365″ presence at McPherson Square despite their eviction, probably trumpets their partners in protest: “the AFL-CIO, SEIU, National Nurses United, Metro Labor Council, OurDC, and more to make our voices heard in our increasingly top-down, money-corrupted democracy.” They’re planning noontime protests on Friday and Saturday, and a special protest of Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker’s address Friday evening.
The site also lists “Safe Occupation” guidelines, back when they were successfully squatting in the square, including:
- Be mindful of how the consequences of actions can affect individuals differently based on risk factors (such as race, class, gender identification, immigration status, etc).
- Practice consent–Check before touching or photographing someone…
- Be aware of your own aggressive tendencies…
- Don’t assume anyone’s gender. When possible go with gender neutral pronouns and nouns, such as friend/comrade instead of brother/sister.
- Do not inhibit others from being able to speak. (!!)