Ron Radosh

Political Correctness Run Amok

August 9th, 2013 - 10:20 am

We all know about the hazards and follies of political correctness. But this time, the powers that be in Seattle, and it seems New York City as well, have gone way too far.

The Office for Civil Rights in Seattle, a Fox News report informed us last week, instructed city workers about no longer using terms that some people in Seattle might deem offensive.

I wondered when first reading this if they were talking about scores of white employees using the N word. No, that’s not it. The words they are complaining about include the following: “citizens” and “brown-bag lunch.” Not to be outdone, New York City’s Department of Education warned about such dangerous words as “dinosaurs,” “birthdays,” and, last but not least, “Halloween.”

Now that I know you are busily trying to discern what could be wrong about using such words, let the good city fathers tell you. A member of Seattle’s Civil Rights Commission, Elliott Bronstein, readily explained in an interview with a local TV news program. “Citizen,” he explained, insulted the many people in Seattle who were there illegally and, hence, not citizens. Therefore, all those living in the area must be called “residents.” Well, I somehow think they don’t really mind, because as long as they can get driver’s licenses, a free public school education for their children, and all the benefits real citizens have, I don’t think they give a hoot about what they are called.

But don’t dare call a lunchtime meeting and announce that it’s a “brown-bag lunch,” unless you wish to be brought up on charges of racism and perhaps lose your job for offending African-American colleagues. You see, Mr. Bronstein explained, for many African-Americans, “the phrase brown bag does bring up associations with the past when a brown bag was actually used…to determine if people’s skin color was light enough to allow admission to an event or to come into a party that was being held in a private home.”

I grew up in the South and remember as a child there were two water fountains in the town park. Since the one labeled "colored" was more my height, I always used it. I thought it meant the water had minerals like rust in it, always tasted OK to me.

The story above tells you I'm old and remember when things were segregated...I have never heard that brown bags were used to "grade" skin color. Never heard of this, never would have thought of this, don't believe it now. People are just making up new ways to be offended and offensive.
In the font I see before me the t looks something like an anchor. As an Army vet, I am offended.
People with mental health issues are now making public policy. It's an infestation of crazy morons that runs from the Presidency to your city council. No nation that ever existed can survive institutionalizing this madness.

If I was 20 now I'd move to the Third World. Cheaper and less nuts. Honestly, despite the stereotypes, the average Egyptian or Guatemalan are erudite statesmen in comparison.

Prostitutes are engaged in "survival sex," I'm "cisgendered" and using "lame" is an ableism. Obama's now going to Section 8 all white neighborhoods and the DOJ and IRS and the media are arms of the Dem Party, the nuttiest group of racial bigots around. Feminists are the blame, whine and self-pity brigade which never shuts up for one single second and all Hollywood movies are too white, plus everyone's a racist but actual racists.

I could write a million word essay about these idiots. Hopefully a tsunami won't wipe out San Francisco, New York and Seattle or Al Queda get arrested for smoking a cigarette with 100 ft. of a Fed. building before they blow it up.

The last 30 years are proof mental cases make the most ardent activists because they are permanently stuck on angry, while normal people kinda just hang out. I'm moving to Morocco.
how about we ban all words said by politicians, so when they get up to speak they can only have silence.

Because I find that anything that they say is offensive, abusive and demeaning.

Elliott Bronstein and friends, you are commie b45tards. I hope that didn't offend. Seriously, do you use drugs? Or are you off your meds?

What is wrong with you? Get help.
And some people scoffed at George Orwell....
What about those of us who are offended by the language used in many movies?
I just turn the channel or don't go but those who make those films should know that. In some films, without the F word, there would be do dialogue.
I have turned off many a movie because I grew tired of the dialogue, not the acting or the plot.
When are we going to acknowledge that we have a "management crisis" in our hands?

Did you notice that things started to get worse as the MBA programs started to spew their "experts on nothing but being the manager" crowd?

We stopped being a meritocracy and we are now a mediocracy where every boss is an idiot whose only talent was to warm the bench at some college for a few years.
Too far? The first step is too far. It was the green light.
Oh, please, let me be the first to use it: Obama, you are a sleazy brown-bagger with a brain the size of a Brazil Nut.
Funny thing your case of using "Brazil Nut" as an example. In the south, many refer to these particular nuts as "n****r toes."
Ditto that bobbcat. I guess I was a teen before I knew that they were called Brazil Nuts as well.

Like the others, I also grew up in the south (Louisiana) and while it was certainly segregated, and there was a whole lexicon that was used when describing a black person and things related to black people, I never once heard of the supposed "brown bag" thing - I think that it's bogus.
I always carried a brown bag to school. I never knew I was being racist, i just thought I'd be hungry by noon.
Yes...the worst part of these bizarre decrees is the pseudo-history cited by know-nothing products of public education.
Yes, you're right. Never heard of the brown-bag thing. Some esoteric reference.
It would be nice if someone could cite some source or reference for this "fact". And no, drug hallucinations and mental problems don't count as sources.
I wonder how many of these offended people are claiming offense in order to try to score a payday off the system. I'm convinced, for example, that the parents of Trayvon Martin were in it hoping for a ginormous settlement from someone, in addition to any grief they might have felt over losing their budding young monster.
Governmetns, espcially Democrat governments, are a cash cow for the grievance industry. Here's the way it works: First, governments are required to have Equal Opportunity or Civil Rights, or Human Rights Offices to which those feeling agrieved can complain and which also do a lot of statistical stuff for the federal government most of it incompetent, faked, or both. Let's just call the EEO offices for simplicity, but many governments have all three and often all three in every department. The EEO office is ALWAYS headed by a minority who is highly unlikely to be competent at anything but being a well known member of that minority. The investigatory and decision-making staff are all activists and often also affirmative action hires who may or may not be competent at anything but being an activist and a minority. The person claiming to be aggrieved files a complaint. The "investigator" determines the race, ethnicity, gender, or sexual preference of the aggrieved and if the aggrieved fits into one of the favored groups allowed to be aggrieved fiinds the complaint to have merit. The legal standard is if the complainant is, or asserts to be, a member of a protected class, a prima facie showing of discrimination has been made and there is a presumption of the employer's guilt; talk about guilty until proven innocent! It is a rebuttable presumption and an employer who wants to can usually win, but no employer wants to take a discrimination complaint by some poor little minority lesbian before a jury of twelve morons with driver's' licenses, so the employer is inclined to settle any but the most avaricious or far fetched claims. In a Democrat goverment it is simply a racket. Once a complaint is filed, the EEO Office offers the employer a "consent decree" in which the employer makes no admission but pays large sums of money to some Democrat front poverty pimp organization, a few bucks of which the complainant might get.
Yep. The Martins are obviously politically astute people who knew exactly what channels to tap into (lawyer Crump who contacted Al Sharpton) in order to glean fame & some fortune. Remember too, Martin's mother Fulton tradmarked Trayvon's namej. We're talking seriously crass people here.
They did get a payday. $1million from the Homeowners Association that Zimmerman was Neighborhood Watch for. Insurance policy limits is the story.

No worries, they did get their payday.
I too, wish that TRAY-von (yo) could've lived as well. Thus, we could see him terminated instead by a fellow young up-and-comer of his own kind over some stupid dope deal gone bad. Or, to become another resident in the Florida Federal Pen for life. Or just in and out a lot over many years.

It's a shame that such young, promising people just can't seem to get everything out of life that they truly deserve because "whi tey" is keeping them down, forcing them to steal against their will and make them listen to that angry, hateful music, wear hoodies and have their pants down around their a$$.

Why, if it wasn't for white people, youngsters like TRAY-von (yo) would become successful businessmen, sports stars and/or magnificent entertainers as well as proud parents in their own right.

Those darn white people. I'm gonna have to write D'ohprah about this.

Utterly amusing!

I tried to make a cogent and biting piece of commentary on this article and was denied because it used "words that are not allowed on this site".
Quelle ironie'...

What I wanted to say was:

Does this mean I don't have to tolerate the term "white cracker" any more because it implies "black n I g g e r"?

Oh rapture!