Roger L. Simon

Traveling with Drudge — America’s Indispensable Man

June 7th, 2013 - 9:55 am

drudge_suitcase_big_6-7-13-1

As some people know, I’m traveling in Israel right now. At this moment, I’m in Safed (alternatively Tsefat and Zefat), the home of the Kaballah and Jewish mysticism. To be ultra simplistic — a very cool place.

Forget that for the moment. I travel and have traveled a lot, ever since I was sixteen and took off for England and France with my friend Ed. That was more years ago than I will admit on a public website, but ever since then I’ve been fortunate enough to bebop around the world on a regular basis. Some like pot, others like whiskey, some like to dance the hully-gully. Travel is my drug of choice.

Being a news junkie, however, in all those travels I stayed close to home by incessant reading of English-language newspapers — the Rome Daily American and, of course, the Paris Herald Tribune (“Just tell your cab driver “sank too denoo”), now the International Herald Tribune. In more romantic days, it was the very symbol of Americans abroad. Remember Jean Paul Belmondo and Jean Seberg in Breathless, the Godard flic with Seberg hawking the Trib on the Left Bank? That was, for years, the hip image of Americans abroad.

Them days are over. Way over.

The wise American abroad now stays tuned to what’s happening with the man himself — Matt Drudge.

Forget Travels with My Aunt or Travels with Charley. I travel with Matt.

By reading Drudge any time I want (virtually) I can stay almost as tuned in as I am in New York or L.A. — and without the absurd NYTimes filter placed on the International Herald Tribune.

I wonder how often and how long Matt Drudge goes on vacation. He seems very devoted, and I too am grateful for his efforts.
His no frills site is stellar. Gotta love how he also links old pieces to existing stories to highlight hypocrisy. When/if the government goes after him and shuts him down, we may very well have martial law on our hands.
I like Drudge and look at his site everyday, but if you're a news junkie like I am and read a lot of blogs you'll find everything on his page somewhere. Surprisingly much of it in the Daily Mail and the NY Post. But if he's the indispensable man in your life that's good for you- I've really enjoyed your posts from Israel.
I paused Ghostery and loaded the drudge report. Ghostery reported over 70 trackers being downloaded. Just saying. Everyone in the internet business is loading trackers into your system every chance they get. What are the chances that one of those is Chinese in origin and another comes from Fort Meade? How does Drudge know what they things are doing to his customers?
Drudge is sometimes good but I wouldn't say he's the most important man.
drudge is good, but I personally think Glenn Reynolds is even better.
Well, I've been out of the country over 30 years and over the long pull, PJM has done the job better than Drudge or Fox for that matter. You got a class act there Mr. Simon, shame it should get audited...if you se what I mean. Nice post.
I could pull the Drudge Report through the filters of the Chinese Govt.
"...get out of the country for a few days and Drudge leaves them in the dust..."

Yep, like an old friend while I've been in Ufa, Russia--maybe a bit sensationalist, but the links are great and the overview is quick and easy.
Roger, you sound homesick, traveler though you may be.

Drudge is a fine fellow, but Rush da man ... along with maybe 10,000,000 unsung heroes, maybe 100,000,000, who keep the ball rolling.
Drudge's use and placement of photos is what makes him a sheer genius.
He is expert at finding the most hideously unflattering photos of Hillary Clinton. Drudge is my home page --#1 every day.
Drudge is hard to resist because there is always something interesting there, and it mystifies me how so many lefties hate him. How can they? He pretty much uses their own favorite sources because he's an aggregator of the news, not a writer or pundit himself.
1 2 Next View All