Roger L. Simon

The Boston Terror War on Twitter (UPDATED – AND HOW!)

April 18th, 2013 - 11:45 pm

I had to tell PJ editors Aaron Hanscom and Ed Driscoll to Deep Six my article on Boston and Benghazi that was supposed to appear on PJM this morning.  Events had superseded them.

Boy, had they superseded. But were it not for Twitter, I may have never known.  I would have just gone to sleep over a book to find myself a fool in the morning (not the first time).

But the Tweets started to come in fast and furious (to coin a phrase) around 10PM Pacific.  The merde had hit the proverbial fan in Boston – specifically from MIT, where a campus cop was shot multiple times and killed, and Watertown, MA,  which, after a carjacking, had turned into a free-fire zone resembling Fallujah at the height of the Iraq War.

Soon enough I was simultaneously on Twitter, Boston Police, Fire and EMS Scanner (the actual police line, available via the Internet — cool), Fox and CNN, trying to piece together what was going on.  One of two suspects, I learned, was apprehended — was this Suspect 1 or Suspect 2 from the FBI pictures, no one could say — another was on the loose.

As I write this, it’s hard to tell what’s going on. But I feel like I’m in the middle of a multi-media movie, balancing multiple inputs, an extraordinary modern phenomenon.

Most interesting is Twitter.  It is at moments like this that it shines.  Suddenly the noise disappears, the endless trivia about people’s latest purchases at Whole Foods or what episode of Madmen was not to be missed, and the hive mind at its best took over, reports of what was happening in Boston arriving with more speed and quite possibly more verisimilitude than what came via the plodding news networks.

Still, something I saw on CNN caught me up short.  It was the best picture yet of Suspect 2, the one in the white baseball hat.  In this photo that appeared on Facebook a short while ago but was authenticated, Suspect 2, whoever he is, looks startlingly young, almost preternaturally young for all this carnage.

Whether he is homegrown, Islamic or a combination, more than anything he puts me in mind of Leopold and Loeb – the two Nietzschean University of Chicago law students who murdered 14-year-old Bobby Franks just for the hell of it. (Of course more may be involved here.  It’s beginning to smell a lot like London and Madrid.)

At this moment, Suspect 2 is apparently under arrest. I think — not sure.  More to come.

UPDATE: I went to bed at about 3AM Pacific besotted with Twitter and woke up an exhausted four hours later not so in love.  Much of what I had thought accurate was wrong, most specifically the ID of the killers.  Twitter had me convinced Suspect 2 was Sunil Tripathi, the supposed Brown University student, who disappeared a month ago. A photo of this jejune fellow in a Che T-shirt was the subject of many tweets.  Suspect 1 was supposedly Mike Mulugeta, provenance unknown.

Anyway, I awoke to find everything upside down.  It’s Chechens now.  What I learned from this is that Twiiter, like any exciting online drug, is to be taken with a HUGE grain of salt in the midst of the action.  It turned out, I’m ashamed to admit, the CNN and Fox, who were being more circumspect, were in the end more accurate…. Not as much fun though.

This doesn’t mean Twitter is bad, but Caveat Tweetor.

Obama and his team will clean this up pronto. They will be al Qaeda extremists with no connection to Islam. They will be terrorists. If there is any mention of Islam (doubtful) we will hear that these boys deviated from its teachings. Support of the MB in Egypt will continue. Kerry will keep pestering Bibi about the Pal State. There will be much congrats for the Boston PD and the FBI, deserved, and the larger picture will be lost - a superpower, now sinking into corruption and led by people who truly sympathize with its worst enemies, whose every instinct is to make alliance with Muslims, not fight them. If Obama says anything that relates this event to Islam, it may be something about how the Saudis were unfairly targeted in the press before events played out. The West is truly nuts.
There was a typo in the article. It said "basket of newspapers" instead of "basket case of newspapers."
All about Islam? Perhaps. That has yet to be determined with ALL the facts insofar as they are obtainable. AND whether the people who interpret whatever facts do become available can be trusted to assess AND report them "scientifically" and truthfully. Without some personal or group interest.

We know from experience within living memory that information from establishment media in service to their favoured and disservice to their especially unfavoured politicians is generally faulty if not downright corrupt. Omission and commission?

The reps of these media even flaunt their power to influence civic, and military, belief and action with insults and denigration of any who DARE to question their interpretations of data available.

Reservations and questions propagated outside their control thanks to new media that has broken their erstwhile monopoly of the tollgates of information. Cornered animals are after all fighting for their existence.

Adages galore about this very behaviour, Kipling, Orwell, Dostoievski, the Christian Bible, Reagan trust but verify, and old jewish trust everybody but cut the cards.
Remember a major axiom of events.

First Reports Are Always Wrong!

Roger, Muslim from Chechnya, although I suspect the family comes from a stan of some sort with ties back to Turkey and the Ottoman empire. The father is making statements that his boys are angels and could not be involved in such things, but if the Americans do succeed in killing his younger son that "all hell will break loose". All the while some folks in Canada have been detained for having Russian characteristics and backpacks.
What was the previous unplanned meeting with Saudis all about? Was there a plan made on who to pin the deed on? I just don't trust any of them.
I thought of Leopold and Loeb too. In a way, this really is a thrill killing, even tho the basis of it is radical Islam.
Here's another one that will be 'cleaned' before going out to the MSM - thats IF it ever sees the light of day other than on Drudge where I found it...

I tuned in to the Boston police scanner after hearing about it on Twitter and got hooked. I'm not sure about what the historical implications of this night will be, but--something significant happened. The network news shows had turned out the lights hours before, of course, and the cable news shows tried to piece together the story from what appeared to be a combination of teletype machine, passenger pigeon, and pony express. It was almost as if they didn't have access to the police scanner. Or maybe they just were not able to turn the information around very quickly (and transmit it to the teleprompter).

Meanwhile, the police drama played out on Twitter in real time while 80,000 people from around the world were listening and commenting...Japan, Ireland, India, Bhutan--one even remembered to thank Al Gore for inventing the internet :)

To be sure, it was a one-sided, skewed view of the story and I have mixed feelings knowing that the terrorist is potentially listening (or reading the Twitter feed) and staying a step ahead of the cops--or worse, waiting in ambush for them.

But last night was a gamechanger and I'm glad I stayed awake to experience it!
Relating to your first paragraph, Ms. Bolyard, I think we live in an era of sophisticated technology that enables us to obsessively follow these events. Or, 'it all started with OJ.' I personally wasted hundreds of hours following that trial...
Freedom of thought will sometimes lead to the wrong place. If everyone sat around all day waiting for absolute perfection, nothing would get done. I wish more people would take the chance that they might be wrong when writing or presenting information. I think we are missing out on some great stuff.

In education, they are trying to get away from "the worst thing you can do is get the wrong answer" to "the worst thing you can do is not even try to solve the problem."
dont forget people that mass is a santurary state, therfore NOBODY is an illegal. thats why uncle obongo anutie zeda, (obammas illegal alien relatives) have lived in boston for the last 10+ years on expired visas and NEVER been deported or even hassled by I.C.E. I do hope that the ties that obamma has to the royal saudis family and the marching orders he gets from them are exposed to the full light of day for all the world to see. Next up: the international banksters that run everything behind the curtains......
1 2 Next View All