Stripping Down for the Motherland

Russia's female Olympic athletes have stripped down to welcome the world to Sochi.

Susan L.M. Goldberg

February 3, 2014 - 12:07 pm
Russia1

Freestyle skier Ekaterina Stolyarova

In the best PR stunt since Putin’s shirtless hunting and fishing expedition, Russia’s female Olympic athletes have stripped down to welcome the world to Sochi.

The country that used to permit the performance of “Can’t Buy Me Love” on the grounds that it was a song critical of prostitution in the West has no problem pimping out its female athletes to soften its rather uptight image ahead of the Olympic Games. The salacious images portray female athletes in poses more typical of lingerie models, pole dancers, and strippers than skiers, curlers and hockey players.

Russian male athletes have yet to pony up to the cameras and bare near-all.

When asked how photos of nearly naked female athletes will quell the concerns surrounding the Sochi games, including “disputes about homophobia, world leaders refusing to attend, and mega-security  at Sochi,” the response received was: “It is democratic to look at half naked women. Women are beautiful.  Everyone likes a pretty girl. Which is why we send ugly ones to Siberia.”

Russia2

Curler Ekaterina Galkina

Susan L.M. Goldberg is a writer with a Master's in Radio, Television & Film and a PhD in Life who would be happy roaming the fields of Prince Edward Island with Anne of Green Gables, were it not for her strong belief in the axiom "all that is required for evil to prevail is for good women to do nothing." She prefers "Renaissance Woman" as opposed to any career title found on Monster.com. Her writing tends towards the intersection of culture, politics and faith with the interest in starting, not stopping the discussion. Follow her on Twitter @SLMGoldberg and @winegirlblog
Reading this article I thought I had accidentally clicked over to Salon, or Mother Jones. I didn't think that PJ media engaged in this particular type of tongue clucking.

I've lived in Siberia--Novosibirsk.
The women there are the most beautiful I've seen anywhere, and I've been to 37 countries.
NO! You must be one of those evil Paleocons for Putin! The hotness of Russian women and the Manosphere's appreciation of thus is clearly a vast SVR agitprop conspiracy! @StopAgitprop, Kim Zigfeld and @LibertyLynx told me so!
As international outreach goes, this sure beats Khrushchev screaming at us. I'm with SFCTed on this one. I don't know to what extent this is an official publication, but to the extent that it represents Russian culture at the present, I, too, find it refreshing. From the daily mail article, they didn't just pick hot chicks who happen to be on the team. These women are all accomplished athletes. I like the idea that they're allowed to appreciate their women for being both accomplished AND beautiful. Compare to our neurotic culture, where even an ultra-liberal president gets in trouble for a not-at-all risque compliment to the CA attorney general.
I spent some time in the Ukraine in the late 90s. One thing I notices was that the pretty women dressed in a certain sexy style that was very much at odds with the modern western woman's idea of fashion. You could tell they liked their femininity and didn't have that western 'tude towards men.

It was refreshing.

These pics remind me of that attitude.

Darn. I'm too old to move to Russia.
That's dunnit for me ... terrorists be damned, I'm off to Sochi; I've developed
SCFS, (Sudden Curling Fan Syndrome).
Like someone said,there aren't ugly women in Russia,only not enough Vodka.
I thought the Serbia crack was funny. Also, Susan, lighten up.
heh. Serbia crack.
I wonder why all those weak American men would tell the female KGB agents about troop level, and tank movement. I can't figure it out.
1 2 Next View All