Dr. Helen

Sexism Sent Me To the ER!

April 13th, 2014 - 9:45 am

I was sucked into watching the TLC show Sex Sent Me to the ER last night after flipping through the channels and realizing that this was the best I was going to do on a weekend night. If you have never watched the show (good for you), it has three or so couples, each describing how their sexual escapades sent them to the ER and an ER doc will also narrate the situation. In the episode last night, a couple like variety and decide to heat up a large gummy bear (made of sugar, of course) and the woman begs the guy to pour it on her chest and eat it off. He does and it gives her third degree burns and his mouth is burned. They head to the ER where he is blamed for hurting his girlfriend and is given shaming looks.

Another couple has consensual sex in a pool naked and the woman gets her toe ring caught in the drain. The guy has to pull her leg to free her foot and she screams and all of her friends run to the pool to see what is going on and ask her if her boyfriend is hurting her. She goes to the ER where she is afraid of being shamed and tells her boyfriend that she is angry that he made her do it. Really? This lady looked to weigh over 300 pounds. Is she so weak that she cannot say no to sex in a pool? This nonsense where women and society pretend women are coerced into sex and men are the perps is getting old.

Another segment showed a man hauled into the ER on a gurney. He says he was “cleaning” and fell 30 feet from a window. He has broken a number of bones and the hospital calls his wife even though he does not want her there. A crazy frizzy-haired woman comes in and upon hearing from police that there looked to be more than cleaning going on, starts beating her husband.

The doctor passively stands back while his patient is beaten and talks about how he does not want to get involved. Finally, security is called and the wife is hauled away. The man has a heart attack and tells the doctor the truth: he had a hooker, was doing cocaine, tried to write a check but the hooker got angry and threw him naked from a third floor window. The doctor hopes he has learned his lesson. Wow, imagine if a man for any reason threw a woman from three floors. And would the doc have stood back if a woman was being beaten by a husband for cheating? Somehow, I doubt it.

Why are the men blamed and shamed for anything that goes wrong in a sexual encounter? Women are active participants as you can see if you watch the video below (about the couple and the gummy bear) but somehow, it is always just the man’s fault.

Read any good books lately? Maybe you should write another one!! It would be a far better use of your time?
Dr. Helen: watching trash TV so we don't have to. Thank you, Dr. Helen. That's one I'm glad I missed.
Many (not "most") PEOPLE have the mentality of children, not just the women.

✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤

Start working at home with Google! It’s by-far the best job I’ve had. Last Wednesday I got a brand new BMW since getting a check for $6474 this - 4 weeks past. I began this 8-months ago and immediately was bringing home at least $77 per hour. I work through this link, go to tech tab for work detail

✒✒✒✒✒✒✒✒ www.workbarr.com

✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤
It is wearying to read all the sex stuff/problems women have. A being from another planet would conclude that making women sexual was a disease; a genetic disaster.
I do think we need to do a better job of educating our men. I'll be thinking of things like this as my boys (currently 5 and 4) grow older.

I will tell them -- if a woman begs you to do something, gets hurt because you did exactly as she asked, and then blames YOU for it, then you should dump her -- without reservation, without hesitation, without a moment of looking back. The same is true for a woman who blames a man for a self-inflicted injury when he is trying to help her.

Such a woman is not looking for a partner and helpmeet; she is looking for a nanny.
Why oh WHY can I only upvote you one time for this comment?
Your post, by asking things like "Why are the men blamed?", assumes the modern myth of equalitarianism. IOW, first assume that men and women are equally responsible and equally to blame, then point out how we don't apply this fairly and complain about it.

Why are the men blamed? Why are they at fault? Why are they shamed?

Simple. Because the men are responsible.

We can cry about that. We can say it's sexist. We can pretend that it's not true. But that's simply the way things are.
That can be read two ways. Responsible as in culpable or responsible as in mature. If it's both then it's neither as a social construct. It's just individual.
If it's culpable it is BaloneyS unless it's rape or sexual assault in the common law definition, not the modern cultural one. If it's mature then women get what they deserve for not also being mature.
Pick one.
I don't watch shows like this, or like Bridezillas or Marriage Boot Camp. Because they enforce a stereoptype based on a feminist political agenda.

I prefer shows like Law & Order, SVU and Criminal Intent, CSI, Las Vegas, Miami and New York, and Criminal Minds. At least these shows depict female criminals as as vicious as they can be. And they can be vicious, in real life and on TV.

The other shows listed above are just vehicles for blaming men. They do, however, point out the hypocrisy of the marriage contract, unintentionally or perhaps deliberately.
I ditched TV in 2010. I have saved so far $4,800 in cable fees. I watch interesting things in YouTube etc. I just could not bear Obama coming up on the screen every three minutes. I don't think I will ever go back to having a TV set.
I've never had cable. It feels so good to say that.
I hate you for making me so jealous. j/k, of course.
I saw that while flipping through the guide, myself.

I landed on reruns of "Dexter's Laboratory" (although I dithered about whether to watch that or "Gilligans Island". Thank goodness for channels like Boomerang, TVLand, etc.
Thank you, so much, for validating my decision to dump cable 5 years ago.
Sorry, but you're defending men who don't deserve to be defended.
I wouldn't defend a single person!

I mean, melting gummy drops?

Whatever. This is as real as other "reality" programs on TLC. It's utter trash.
What? These idiots are actually trying to breed???

God help us!!!
Just imagine them in the voting booth; that's a bigger nightmare.
Well, they certainly don't seem to be having much success, do they. On the other hand they are competing quite nicely for the Darwin Awards!
1 2 3 Next View All