Dr. Helen

I Hate Leaving Daylight Saving Time

November 3rd, 2013 - 6:07 am

My pet peeves:

1) I get lunch an hour later today.

2) I like it dark in the morning so I can sleep.

3) I don’t like it dark at night because I get tired when it gets dark.

4) I know winter is coming and it’s not a good feeling and finally:

5) The clock in my car is hard to change, it has taken me four years to figure it out.

One of the problems with DST is that its schedule has never been symmetrical about the summer solstice. For example, we used to go on it in early April, which is AFTER the spring equinox. But we don't go off of it until late October, which is also AFTER the fall equinox. Even today it is still not symmetrical about the summer solstice.

This makes clear the people who created DST to begin with didn't have a clue as to what they were doing (e.g. they were complete bozos).
I'm all for the one in the fall, or as I call it: "Fall back to sleep". Its the one in the spring that I hate.
Well, I for one am glad the annual madness is over—though we'll be subjected to it again in less than five months (another Dubya "improvement" the Democrats haven't seen fit to roll back). As with infant male circumcision, "daylight saving time" is a "solution" in search of a "problem"; every one of its supposed "benefits" has been disproven, but its advocates just keep making up more.

At least author Michael Downing manages to get some laughs out of it, in Spring Forward: The Annual Madness of Daylight Saving Time (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1593761066):

"The logic of the campaign was circular, which made it easier to spin." (p.7)

"Having perused the report, Representative Charles Rose of North Carolina concluded, 'The definition of daylight saving time by an old Indian as "the white man cutting an inch off the bottom of his blanket and sewing it to the top to make it longer" would seem to apply to its savings of energy.'" (p.143)

Some good commentary:
"Federal Reshuffling of Our Days"
End Daylight Saving Time (website)
Yeah, my mother hates daylight saving time too. Saturday I asked her, "Do you know what day tomorrow is?" She said, "Sunday." "It's daylight savings time." "Oh, God."

Then Monday told me about some talk show she listens to on the radio while driving around. This guy was ranting about how we need to get rid of Obamacare. "How are we going to get rid of Obamacare? We can't even get rid of daylight savings time." Then she went off on this long rant about stupid and inconvenient it is.

You know, a couple of decades ago, my mother was a real political junkie and a staunch conservative. She used to watch Cspan for hours at a time every day. She attended rallies and fundraisers for state and local politicicians. In fact, George Bush came down here to give a speech when he first ran for governor. She came home and asked, "Do you know who I met today?" "No." "George Bush." "You met the President of the United States?" "No his son." "The guy who used to own the Rangers?" "Yes, that one. He's running for governor, and I think he's going to win." "You're kidding." "No, I donated $1000 to his campaign. If he goes around the state giving speeches like the one he did today, he's going to win."

Now, this was some 30 years ago. The only time she came to visit me in college was when Newt Gingrich was there to give a speech on campus. Then, we got Rush Limbaugh on the radio down here, and she went ballistic. She actually worked her schedule around his show. Mornings at the office, then driving around checking on houses so she could listen to Rush, then back to the office. This went on for decades.

Then my dad got sick and I moved back home to help her take care of him, and after he died I stayed to look after her so she wouldn't be alone.

I've always been a libertarian. I don't do politics. It bores me. My default position is to vote against every incumbent, except when they're doing a real good job, like keeping their campaign promises. Otherwise, I think they're all hypocrites. Since we hadn't live together for a long time, we got to talking politics, because that was all she ever talked about. She was still at it, watching talk shows on television, listening to the radio, reading the Limbaugh Letter. I bought her a subscription to Rush 24/7 for her birthday.

Then a couple of years ago, she came home and said, "I'm done with politics. They're all hypocrites." Took me about five years to get her to come around to my way of thinking.

Now she hates everybody. She won't watch Cspan or Fox. She hates O'Reilly, Hannity, Coulter, Krauthamer. She hates Republicans and Democrats both. Well, she does have her favorites, like Rush, Rick Perry, Ted Cruz, and a few others. She still reveres Reagan and defends Bush, but she can't stand Gingrich now. Funny how that works, isn't it?

I had a pet named peeve once. It annoyed the hell out of me.
"I prefer Darkness Savings Time."
--Dracula
Daylight savings: Proof that there's no idea so stupid that the modern Congress can't make it stupider.
You have seriously underestimated our congress.
PS I have the correlated figures, so I can save you the math. Is there anywhere on this blog that I can upload a spreadsheet?
Dr Helen, in your book "Men on Strike" you mention that the low numbers of men in early-years teaching positions might correlate with low male university admissions. According to UNESCO data, it seems there is indeed a loose correlation.

Compare http://unstats.un.org/unsd/demographic/products/indwm (table 4e) with http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SE.ENR.TERT.FM.ZS/countries.

This suggests that as women tend towards 100% of primary and pre-primary educators, the proportion of females enrolled in tertiary education approaches 60%, although there are other factors such as income which also have an effect.

This effect is observable across 130+ countries.
It's interesting how different we all are.

I much prefer this time, because I am an early riser who finds it irritating to need to get up an hour before dawn , but I like darkness in the evening. I also much prefer winter to summer.

Different strokes, I guess.
4) I know winter is coming and it’s not a good feeling and finally:

There's a cure for that. Spend a winter in Iowa, where I live, or, better yet, Minnesota. You will never again be bothered by winter in Knoxville.
1 2 Next View All