Mueller Deputy Thanked DOJ Official Sally Yates after She Defied Trump on Travel Ban
Another lefty Democrat on Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s Russia probe sent anti-Trump emails, according to conservative watchdog Judicial Watch.
Andrew Weissmann, a notoriously unscrupulous prosecutor who is now a deputy on Mueller’s team of Democrat partisans, praised outgoing acting Attorney General Sally Yates after she was fired in January by President Trump for defying his travel ban order.
“I am so proud,” Weissmann wrote to Yates in the email obtained by Judicial Watch through a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) lawsuit. He continued, “And in awe. Thank you so much. All my deepest respects.”
The revelation follows the bombshell news that another Mueller investigator, FBI official Peter Strzok, was fired over the summer after he allegedly exchanged anti-Trump texts with FBI lawyer Lisa Page, with whom he was having an extramarital affair.
Judicial Watch President Tom Fitton called the new Weissmann document an “astonishing and disturbing find.”
“Andrew Weisman, a key prosecutor on Robert Mueller’s team, praised Obama DOJ holdover Sally Yates after she lawlessly thwarted President Trump,” he said in a statement. “How much more evidence do we need that the Mueller operation has been irredeemably compromised by anti-Trump partisans?”
Other emails obtained by Judicial Watch also showed strong support for Yates among DOJ officials.
- Thomas Delahanty, then the United States attorney for Maine, wrote: “You are my hero.”
- Liz Aloi, a career service employee and chief of the Justice Department’s Special Financial Investigations Unit, told Yates she was “inspirational and heroic.”
- Emily Gray Rice, then the U.S. attorney for New Hampshire and an Obama appointee, said: “AAG Yates, thank you, as always, for making us proud. It is truly an honor to work for you.”
- Obama appointee Barbara McQuade, U.S. attorney for the Eastern District of Michigan, told Yates, “Thank you for your courage and leadership. This is wonderful news.”
- DOJ Civil Division Appellate Attorney Jeffrey Clair wrote: “Thank you AG Yates. I’ve been in civil/appellate for 30 years and have never seen an administration with such contempt for democratic values and the rule of law. The President’s order is an unconstitutional embarrassment and I applaud you for taking a principled stand against defending it.”
These are the brilliant minds that helped the federal government under Obama achieve a dismal win/loss record of 79-96 in the Supreme Court -- a win rate of just above 45 percent.