Chicago Police Supt. Says Jussie Smollett ‘Will Be Held Accountable’ if He Made a False Report
Chicago Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson said Tuesday that Empire actor Jussie Smollett is still being treated as a victim in the alleged MAGA hate crime attack, but if the investigation reveals that he made a false report, he will be held accountable.
Johnson's comments mark the first time since the controversy erupted last week that a Chicago city official has suggested that the incident could in fact be a hoax.
Additionally, police are "getting their ducks in a row" for possible interrogations, according to Fox News' Matt Finn.
Smollett claims that his attackers made racial and anti-gay comments while using President Trump's "MAGA" slogan during the 2 a.m. assault in frigid (-20 degree windchill) downtown Chicago. So far, no surveillance video has emerged showing the attack.
As PJ Media's Patrick Poole reported last week, the ongoing investigation into the alleged hate crime has raised more questions than answers and the pictures of two shadowy "persons of interest" released by the Chicago Police only added to the controversy.
Chicago-based police blogs Second City Cop and CWB Chicago have reported that the useless pictures were only released to satisfy the city's liberal top officials.
"Our contacts say that the 'persons of interest' happened to wander into a camera frame and seem to have had nothing to do with the event in question - but the bosses want to look like they're doing something to appease [Mayor] Rahm [Emanuel] and the Hollywood money people," Second City Cop reported on January 31.
"The two 'potential persons of interest' seen in surveillance images released by Chicago police last week 'are two bums,'" a source who is familiar with the investigation told CWB Chicago. “Downtown demanded that we put out something, so we issued the photos,” the source said. “They weren’t happy.”
In another new development, another source close to the investigation told CWB that the purported threat letter against Smollett was mailed from Chicago’s southwest suburbs. The letter was sent about eight days before the alleged attack.