02-15-2019 01:00:05 PM -0800
02-15-2019 09:32:56 AM -0800
02-15-2019 07:34:51 AM -0800
02-14-2019 05:19:47 PM -0800
02-14-2019 04:32:01 PM -0800
It looks like you've previously blocked notifications. If you'd like to receive them, please update your browser permissions.
Desktop Notifications are  | 
Get instant alerts on your desktop.
Turn on desktop notifications?
Remind me later.
PJ Media encourages you to read our updated PRIVACY POLICY and COOKIE POLICY.

Stretch, grab a late afternoon cup of caffeine and get caught up on the most important news of the day with our Coffee Break newsletter. These are the stories that will fill you in on the world that's spinning outside of your office window - at the moment that you get a chance to take a breath.
Sign up now to save time and stay informed!

Antifa Protest Against Police Brutality at Portland City Hall Turns Violent

Antifa Mob Protests Portland City Hall.

Far-left agitators stormed Portland City Hall Wednesday, cursing through bullhorns, disrupting a meeting, and assaulting security guards.

The activists, including masked antifa agitators, were protesting what they called "police brutality" after Portland Police used strong crowd-control techniques to control the violent "antifascist" counter-demonstration Saturday at the Patriot Prayer rally.

Police fired rubber bullets and flash-bangs into the rioting crowd after antifa counter-protesters refused police orders to get out of the street, and threw rocks and bottles at officers.

"End police brutality!" the activists chanted.

Mayor Ted Wheeler asked attendees to stop chanting, and when they refused, he recessed the meeting.

Wheeler and the commissioners reconvened in a conference room outside the mayor's office. None were allowed in except city staff, the press and people called to testify on council business.

They continued working despite muffled chants of "shame on you" from the activists outside.

Downstairs, security had their hands full, as dozens of protesters tried to enter city hall near a coffee kiosk.

"Come down Wheeler!" the crowd chanted between verbal barbs and invective hurled at security as well several police officers who appeared in the atrium.

"It's our f------ building," one demonstrator screamed.

But police threatened the protesters with arrest if they did not leave the building immediately. Another protester grabbed a glass sugar urn from the coffee stand and smashed it on the floor.

The crowd devolved into a dangerous mob when a wall of security personnel began forcing them out of the building.

"Shame! Shame! Shame!" they chanted, while someone flipped the bird.

A masked antifa thug wearing a baseball helmet and gray shirt smashed a security guard over the head and face repeatedly with a megaphone.

The Oregonian reported that the guard was seen later holding a bag of ice as a bruise formed on his cheek.

The Portland City Hall security chief said she was also assaulted by a protester after getting hit in the arm. Portland Police said that "neither of the security officers suffered injuries that required medical transport by ambulance."

According to The Oregonian, some of the counter-protesters who were allegedly injured at the Patriot Prayer rally were on the scene Wednesday protesting city officials.

"I should be home recovering from the pain and trauma I'm suffering. But I'm also suffering from complete outrage and powerlessness," said Michelle Fawcett, who lives in Portland.