02-19-2019 07:26:59 AM -0800
02-18-2019 09:36:51 AM -0800
02-18-2019 07:35:39 AM -0800
02-17-2019 12:39:26 PM -0800
02-17-2019 08:18:34 AM -0800
It looks like you've previously blocked notifications. If you'd like to receive them, please update your browser permissions.
Desktop Notifications are  | 
Get instant alerts on your desktop.
Turn on desktop notifications?
Remind me later.
PJ Media encourages you to read our updated PRIVACY POLICY and COOKIE POLICY.
X


Stretch, grab a late afternoon cup of caffeine and get caught up on the most important news of the day with our Coffee Break newsletter. These are the stories that will fill you in on the world that's spinning outside of your office window - at the moment that you get a chance to take a breath.
Sign up now to save time and stay informed!

Mattis: Assad's 'Industrial-Level' Killing Should Dwarf Concerns of Yemen Civilian Casualties

saudi airstrikes in sanaa

ARLINGTON, Va. -- Defense Secretary James Mattis on Friday defended U.S. efforts to prevent civilian casualties in the Yemen war, suggesting reporters focus on the "industrial-level" killing of the Assad regime over civilian deaths in pinpoint Saudi-led strikes.

Jamie McGoldrick, the United Nations Humanitarian Coordinator for Yemen, slammed the Saudi-led coalition Thursday for "complete disregard for human life" after airstrikes on a market and farm this week killed 68 people, including at least eight children at the Taiz Governorate market and 14 members of the same family at the farm in Al Hudaydah Governorate.

“I remind all parties to the conflict, including the Saudi-led Coalition, of their obligations under International Humanitarian Law to spare civilians and civilian infrastructure and to always distinguish between civilian and military objects,” said McGoldrick. The UN says more than 5,000 civilians have been killed since Saudi intervention in the Yemen civil war began in 2015.

Washington supported Saudi strikes from the outset with intelligence and logistics and has continued to do so in the Trump administration, despite growing discontent from some lawmakers.

Speaking with reporters today, Mattis was asked what U.S. training has done if Saudi strikes keep killing civilians.

"What we're going to do is we're going to continue to train them how to do target identification, try to get their capabilities up in those areas. We're going to continue to work with their pilots in explaining how you do bombing runs, that sort of thing -- anything we can do to limit the civilian casualties, we will be doing," he replied. "At the same time, for the Houthis to put weapons in the residential areas -- and this has been shown not just by us, but by other people -- that doesn't help, if they're sincerely concerned about civilian casualties."

"We acknowledge that civilians have died. We do not want to see this happen. We have been trying to get this to ...the negotiating table for years now, and that's probably the bigger effort is to end the fighting there. But, in the interim, we're going to try to make that army, that military of the Saudis more capable of carrying out what they find to be their military necessity, without killing innocents."

Mattis noted that "this is the first time in the history of warfare when we've had this level of precision that we've achieved" with weapons, yet "people are being held to a standard today that warfare can seldom permit achieving."

"The costs of war throughout history -- and it has not changed -- are more heavily borne by civilians, as far as I'm concerned, in almost every war in history," the Defense secretary added. "And anyone who thinks that, in our own Civil War, the people of the South didn't bear a heavier price than the armies themselves -- we only have to look at the people who lived in Vicksburg or Richmond or Atlanta in order to carry that thesis forward. The civilians always carry a disproportionate burden... our aim is to bring that number down to the absolute humanly possible minimum."