06-20-2018 09:04:40 AM -0700
06-20-2018 06:42:47 AM -0700
06-19-2018 10:24:27 PM -0700
06-19-2018 07:02:46 PM -0700
06-19-2018 01:26:56 PM -0700
It looks like you've previously blocked notifications. If you'd like to receive them, please update your browser permissions.
Desktop Notifications are  | 
Get instant alerts on your desktop.
Turn on desktop notifications?
Remind me later.


Stretch, grab a late afternoon cup of caffeine and get caught up on the most important news of the day with our Coffee Break newsletter. These are the stories that will fill you in on the world that's spinning outside of your office window - at the moment that you get a chance to take a breath.
Sign up now to save time and stay informed!

Dismissal of Charges for D.C. Attacks by Erdoğan's Security Guards 'Coincidental,' Claims State Dept.

erdogan security detail beats up protesters in washington

WASHINGTON -- The State Department denied today that the dropping of charges against the security detail filmed beating up Kurdish protesters in D.C. had to do with a subsequent meeting between Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and former Secretary of State Rex Tillerson.

When Erdoğan visited in May, a small group of Kurdish protesters held signs and chanted across the street from the Turkish ambassador's residence in D.C. Video from the scene not only shows the attack on the protesters in detail, but additional footage shows Erdoğan viewing the protests from his armored Mercedes and something being communicated to his security staff before the attack began.

Nine protesters were injured. Two men were arrested that day: Jalal Kheirabaoi, of Virginia, was among the protesters and was charged with misdemeanor assault on a police officer. Ayten Necmi, of New York, was among the Turks and was charged with felony aggravated assault. During the investigation into remaining assailants, Erdoğan and his security team left the country.

After a joint probe with the State Department and the Secret Service, the Metropolitan Police Department announced two arrests in June: Sinan Narin of Virginia was charged with felony aggravated assault and misdemeanor assault or threatened assault in a menacing manner. Eyup Yildirim of New Jersey was charged with felony assault with significant bodily injury, felony aggravated assault and misdemeanor assault or threatened assault in a menacing manner.

A dozen of the remaining men and one woman wanted on various assault charges were identified as Turkish security officials. Two Canadians, Mahmut Sami Ellialti and Ahmet Cengizham Dereci, were also indicted on assault charges.

In September, Erdoğan claimed Trump "called me about a week ago about this issue -- he said that he was sorry, and he told me that he was going to follow up on this issue when we come to the United States within the framework of an official visit."

"The protesters were insulting us, and they were screaming and shouting. The police failed to intervene properly. And similar protests were seen around the White House as well when we were inside of the embassy residence. The protesters were very close to my car, to my vehicle," he said. Video shows protesters were across the street.

Out of the 15 Turks wanted for assault, charges against seven of Erdoğan's guards were dropped the day before Tillerson visited Ankara on Feb. 15. Four more guards had their charges dropped this past November. The remaining four still face charges.

State Department press secretary Heather Nauert told reporters today that the department "had no role in the decision to drop those charges -- that was entirely coming out of the Department of Justice."

"I am told that the secretary was aware of the decision before he met with President Erdoğan in Turkey. He noted that the timing was coincidental, but he also noted it was a good example of how we have an independent judiciary in our country, and that the Department of Justice made those decisions, and took it from there," she said.