Starbucks CEO to Customers: Leave Your Guns At Home

"The presence of a weapon in our stores is unsettling and upsetting for many of our customers."

Paula Bolyard

September 18, 2013 - 1:02 pm

newtown-starbucks-gun-appreciation-day-3-e1376074010376

Saying the open carry debate has become “increasingly uncivil and, in some cases, even threatening,”  Howard Schultz, Starbucks chairman, president and chief executive officer, posted an open letter on the company’s website on Tuesday asking customers to leave their guns at home:

For these reasons, today we are respectfully requesting that customers no longer bring firearms into our stores or outdoor seating areas—even in states where “open carry” is permitted—unless they are authorized law enforcement personnel.

Schultz cited the recent “Starbucks Appreciation Days,” events in which Second Amendment advocates brought their guns to Starbucks locations and made purchases to thank the coffee chain for respecting state gun laws. This led to counter-protests from anti-gun activists. Starbucks’ previous policy had been to comply with the open carry laws in the states they serve. “That means we abide by the laws that permit open carry in 43 U.S. states. Where these laws don’t exist, openly carrying weapons in our stores is not permitted.”

Schultz said it was “disingenuous” for groups to portray Starbucks as a champion of open carry. “To be clear: we do not want these events in our stores,” Schultz emphasized in the letter.

Schultz clarified that this was a request and not an outright ban. He hinted that a ban could put Starbucks employees in danger. “[E]nforcing a ban would potentially require our partners to confront armed customers, and that is not a role I am comfortable asking Starbucks partners to take on,” adding that “ the legislative and policy-making process is the proper arena for this debate, not our stores.”

Though Schultz’s letter focuses on “open carry,” his request that customers “no longer bring firearms into our stores” would seem to include “concealed carry” firearms as well.

Recently "retired" from homeschooling, Paula is an unapologetic Christian and Constitutional conservative. Though she aligns politically with the Tea Party, she is a member of the Wayne County Republican Executive Committee. She is also a contributor at Ohio Conservative Review. Paula lives in N.E. Ohio with her husband, three dogs, and two parrots.

I carry concealed, so, obviously, the letter does not directly affect me. But you can bet that I will never patronize Starbucks, nor any other business establishment that has a similar policy. I will especially avoid any public venue that posts signs prohibiting lawful carry, or attempts, in any way, to create a "gun free" zone.

Such areas just aren't safe in my opinion.
Okey dokey, my body and cash stay home with my gun, thus, my $40 per month to LiberalBucks will now be $10 at McD's. just like liberal entertainers (sic) and politicians, extreme positions will drive away my cash. Adios suckers....
No, we'll just leave your store for good. You can drink your dirty water yourself.
We don't need no stinking Starphuchs !
This is what you get for doubling down and rubbing it in people's faces after a horrific tragedy such as Newtown. Come on, these guys walked into the Newtown Starbucks carrying while mothers were in there with their children, only 6 months after and just 2 miles from the school. It was the children freaking out that caused alarm amongst the mothers. Show a little grace decency and respect. There's more to protecting and raising our children properly than shielding them with a firearm. Stuff like this is deliberate offensiveness. Besides I don't think Mr.Starbucks CEO is going to miss the revenues from the lunatic fringe gun carriers. It will amount to not even a blip. Kinda sucks when you can't browbeat someone to get your way, doesn't it?
I admit I was not one of those who suddenly had a taste for Starbucks coffee. When this appreciation thing started up, I considered going in, but decided corporate America was too untrustworthy and would likely end up flipping before it was over.

Well, that didn't take long....

Having said that, Starbucks is a private business and has every right to ban guns in their stores.

They should go ahead and admit that is what they want to do.

Instead, we have this meally-mouthed letter from the CEO.

He claims he's not taking a side - yet the end result is he wants to mollify those on the gun control side and get them what they want at the expense of the gun rights side who has been providing them additional revenue by their patronage.

It's only logical, given that situation, that the gun rights community not patronize their stores.

It's not a boycott - it's voting with your feet and spending your money in businesses that share your views.
So what did Mr. Starbucks hope to accomplish? If someone with a sidearm is being threatening, call the police. If someone dislikes guns, the sign will certainly make them look suspiciously at fellow coffee slurpers while they try to relax and enjoy their coffee. A better sign would be, "Go ahead, make my day...buy an absurdly expensive cup of coffee."
Sloppy Media does not differentiate between concealed carry and open carry.

Mr. Schultz along with everyone else is contaminated with Hollywood Gun Training, because of the mechanics of drama. A prop which is part of the action needs to be introduced first. As the hand goes in the drawer for a checkbook, back in the shadows lurks the menace of the butt of a S & W product!! See that and expect a gun felony in short order. See 10-20 thousand of these introductions and you will begin to believe that guns cause gun felonies.
One minute ago squeezed between comments placed above mine 16t hours ago and the other under my comment placed there 1 minute ago was placed there 18 hours ago......sort of a badge of courage wouldn't you say?
Not to fear. I cannot afford Starbuck prices considering the quantity & quality and when the few times I had an espresso or cappuccino, the quality was mediocre when compared to good restaurants at cheaper prices.
Here is my email to Mr Schultz:

Dear Mr Schultz,

I read your recent open letter and I understand your concern.

Since every recent mass murder seems to have occurred in a venue in which firearms are prohibited, I tend to avoid locations that strip me of the ability to protect myself. I'd like to continue to patronize Starbucks so please provide me with the details of the additional security measures you have put in place to guarantee my safety while in your establishments.
Another gun free zone. Not going there anymore.
I carry concealed all the time. I only give up my firearm grudgingly where the law in my state requires that I do.

You CANNOT nullify the second amendment on a whim.
1 2 3 4 Next View All