10 Reasons Why Donald Pleasence Is the Reason for the Season
What's the most wonderful thing about this time of year? Is it putting Brach's Pic-a-Mix at the top of the Halloween candy bowl to save the Kit-Kats at the bottom for one's self? Is it dressing up as Big Bird with a binder full of bayonets (so I'm guessing will be the Beltway costume of choice this year)? Is it enjoying one last fun holiday before the Holidays With Pressure arrive?
It's the TV, of course. It's several straight nights or even a whole month (thanks, AMC) of getting to watch Donald Pleasence face off with Michael Myers.
The one. The only. The Donald.
Pleasence, of course, played Dr. Sam Loomis, archenemy to evil-brat-all-grown-up Michael Myers, in John Carpenter's original Halloween (1978), 1981's Halloween 2, 1988's Halloween 4, 1989's Halloween 5, and Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers (1995).
I give you 10 reasons why Donald Pleasence is that awesome -- besides, obviously, being a great actor bringing a touch of class to a low-budget enterprise.
- The person in a horror movie who always knows what's afoot while other don't believe him always deserves a modicum of respect.
- He knows bullets can't take down Michael Myers, and advises others of the same, but still keeps trying. Determination.
- How many other shrinks in trenchcoats do we have as movie action heroes?
- The best lines. Sheriff: "I have a feeling that you're way off on this." Dr. Loomis: "You have the wrong feeling."
- The delivery. "We are talking about evil on two legs" sounds more awesome coming from Donald Pleasence than anyone else.
- His indestructibleness rivals Myers', who can't seem to kill his childhood psychiatrist with explosions, window tosses, etc.
- He never descends into weepy hysterics at the sight of Myers, but confronts and even challenges him: "Now you'll come, won't you, Michael?"
- You really root for Donald Pleasence. (And Jamie Lee Curtis, as well.) Whiny camp counselors being stalked by Jason in the Friday the 13th series? Not so much.
- He's a man about it. "Michael? Why now? You waited ten years. I knew this day would come. Don't go to Haddonfield. If you want another victim, take me. But leave those people in peace. Please, Michael?" Before he curses at Myers and pops .50 caliber slugs at him.
- He was the inspiration for Dr. Evil yet is the best fighting force against "evil on two legs" Myers.
Article printed from PJ Lifestyle: http://pjmedia.com/lifestyle
URL to article: http://pjmedia.com/lifestyle/2012/10/25/10-reasons-why-donald-pleasence-is-the-reason-for-the-season