An 18-year-old suspect being held over the attempted bombing of the London Underground on Friday was reportedly detained by police two weeks ago at the same Parsons Green station where the attack happened but was released.
If confirmed, this would be the latest in a long string of “known wolf” terror attacks in Europe this year.
The Daily Mail reported last night:
The 18-year-old being held by police on suspicion of planting a bomb on the London underground was arrested two weeks ago at the exact same tube station where the device exploded but released, neighbours have said.
The teen – who is being held after police tracked him to the departures hall at the Port of Dover – is thought to have been a ‘problematic foster child’ who was raised in Sunbury-on-Thames by Penelope Jones, 71, and husband Ronald, 88.
Serena Barber, 47, who has known the couple all her life and lives in a property backing on to theirs, said: ‘They have two boys at the moment, both are foreign. One is very quiet and polite, the other who is 18 is awful.
‘I know about two weeks ago he was arrested by police at Parsons Green, for what I don’t know and returned back to Penny and Ron. After that Penny said she was going to have to stop caring for him, she couldn’t handle him.’
Remarkably, UK authorities and the international media attacked President Donald Trump when he suggested early on that the suspects were already known to Scotland Yard:
Another attack in London by a loser terrorist.These are sick and demented people who were in the sights of Scotland Yard. Must be proactive!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) September 15, 2017
But it appears that President Trump was correct.
And the arrest of a second suspect earlier today and a manhunt for other members of a possible terror cell behind the incident give the impression this was no “lone wolf” attack.
A second man has been arrested by detectives investigating the terrorist attack at Parsons Green on Friday https://t.co/3fyNA1fh1L
— Metropolitan Police (@metpoliceuk) September 17, 2017
And nearly three years after I first identified the trend of Islamic terrorists committing attacks despite already being known to authorities, what I termed “known wolf” attacks, others are beginning to take note of the growing problem.
— Fox News (@FoxNews) September 16, 2017
A review of the many terror incidents in Europe this year confirms the extent of the “known wolf” problem — 12 confirmed attacks, no action by authorities.
Take, for instance, the opening lines of this NPR report on the fatal stabbing of two victims in Turku, Finland — that country’s first Islamic terror attack — just last month:
Police in Finland say the man suspected of going on a stabbing rampage in the city of Turku, killing two people and injuring six others, is an 18-year old Moroccan citizen who was previously known to authorities.
Finland recently rejected his application for asylum, according to the public broadcaster YLE.
And this is a nearly constant refrain regarding the suspects following these terror attacks. Consider, for example, the Moroccan imam who was ringleader of the attack in Barcelona, Spain, on August 17 that killed 13 and injured 130:
Imam behind Barcelona terror attacks used human rights to fight deportation from Spain https://t.co/r3gj5I5abn
— The Telegraph (@Telegraph) August 22, 2017
Hamburg, Germany (July 28) – 1 killed, 5 injured
Man suspected of carrying out stabbing spree in Germany was known as a suspected Islamist https://t.co/QE9IuGOBFc
— The Wall Street Journal (@WSJ) July 29, 2017
— Philip Oltermann (@philipoltermann) July 28, 2017
Paris, France (June 19) – only the attacker killed
— Patrick Poole (@pspoole) June 19, 2017
— AFP news agency (@AFP) June 20, 2017
Melbourne, Australia (June 5) – 2 killed, 3 injured
— Sky News Australia (@SkyNewsAust) June 5, 2017
Khayre "was known by counter-terrorism police & had been on parole" + "involved in failed plot" on military base:https://t.co/uf4KphZgzT
— Thomas Joscelyn (@thomasjoscelyn) June 6, 2017
— Patrick Poole (@pspoole) June 6, 2017
London, UK (June 3) – 8 killed, 48 injured
#London Attackers Slipped by Despite an Avalanche of Warnings
— Asharq Al-Awsat English (@aawsat_eng) June 9, 2017
London attacker wasn’t hiding in plain sight—he wasn’t even hiding https://t.co/2OIMbxi5jF
— The Wall Street Journal (@WSJ) June 11, 2017
— The Sunday Times (@thesundaytimes) June 11, 2017
Manchester, UK (May 22) – 22 killed, 120 injured
— Daily Caller (@DailyCaller) May 30, 2017
MI5 has launched urgent inquiries into how it missed the danger posed by the Manchester bomber. Home Secretary @AmberRuddHR explains pic.twitter.com/eVtBMPkZS2
— Sky News (@SkyNews) May 29, 2017
Paris, France (April 20) – 1 killed, 3 injured
BREAKING: Officials say the suspect in the attack on Paris police officers previously was flagged as an extremist.
— The Associated Press (@AP) April 20, 2017
— Daily Caller (@DailyCaller) April 21, 2017
— Patrick Poole (@pspoole) April 21, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden (April 7) – 5 killed, 14 injured
Stockholm truck-attack suspect was previously investigated over extremism https://t.co/3LmQybdfTE
— The Wall Street Journal (@WSJ) April 8, 2017
Stockholm attack suspect’s links to Isis were known by authorities https://t.co/SxW7nQAp3q
— Metro (@MetroUK) April 14, 2017
— Sunrise (@sunriseon7) April 8, 2017
London, UK (March 22) – 5 killed, 49 injured
— BBC Breaking News (@BBCBreaking) March 23, 2017
Paris, France (March 18) – 2 injured
Paris airport attacker previously suspected of having radical Islamist views https://t.co/7VxmrWinJf
— The Washington Post (@washingtonpost) March 18, 2017
Paris Orly airport attacker was on terror watch list, same man as suspect involved in earlier shooting – officials https://t.co/T4386p2hAo
— BBC Breaking News (@BBCBreaking) March 18, 2017
As I noted here at PJ Media after the two “known wolf” attacks in London and Paris over five days, Western government officials seem unconcerned about the problem.
5 Days and 2 'Known Wolf' Terror Attacks, Yet No Apparent Concern from Western Govts — How Many More Must Die? https://t.co/bYMXtsh0o2
— Patrick Poole (@pspoole) March 23, 2017
In fact, a recent report examining 63 Islamic terror incidents over the past three years in Europe and North America — which killed 424 people and injured nearly 1,800 — found that 74 percent of the attackers were already known to authorities.
How many more have to die at the hands of “known wolf” terrorists before government officials take the problem seriously? Many more, it seems.
Below, find Poole’s extensive coverage of the “known wolf” scandal here at PJ Media:
Dec. 15, 2014: Sydney Hostage Taker Another Case of ‘Known Wolf’ Syndrome
June 26, 2015: France’s Beheading Terrorist Was Well-Known By Authorities
May 23, 2017: Manchester Bomber Is Yet Another “Known Wolf”
June 4, 2017: At Least one London Bridge Terrorist Was a “Known Wolf”