A lot of digital ink has been spilled in recent days following the horrific terror attack early Sunday morning in Orlando. But within hours, a predictable media narrative began to take root as news of the killer’s jihadist motives became clearer. The media expressed uncertainty over whether he had been inspired by radical Islam.
The following day, this came from the New York Times:
It’s unclear if the Orlando mass killer was actually driven by religious or political ideology https://t.co/QZ8jbCpZqj
— The New York Times (@nytimes) June 14, 2016
So let’s help the New York Times and the establishment media find some clarity. Here’s a quick rundown of what we know about the killer’s motive:
- During the attack he posted on Facebook his loyalty to Islamic State caliph Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi and threatened more attacks against the West, saying “now taste the Islamic state vengeance.”
- In that Facebook post, he also raged against the “filthy ways of the West.”
- He called 911 during the attack, pledging allegiance to the Islamic State and referencing the Boston bombers.
- He called local media during the attack, saying: “I did it for ISIS. I did it for the Islamic State.”
- During the killings, he told his victims the U.S. needed to “stop bombing ISIS.”
- According to another victim, he said that he was attacking them because he wanted “American to stop bombing his country” (presumably meaning Afghanistan, despite the fact he was born and raised in the U.S.)
- He was suspended from school in the 5th grade after threatening to bring a gun to school and “kill everyone.” His teachers “feared he would do harm.”
- On the day of the 9/11 attacks, when his fellow high school students watched in horror as the second plane hit the World Trade Center towers, he “started jumping up-and-down cheering on the terrorist.”
- In previous FBI investigations, according to FBI Director Comey, he had said: “[h]e hoped that law enforcement would raid his apartment and assault his wife and child so that he could martyr himself.”
- A witness told the FBI that he had been watching videos of al-Qaeda cleric Anwar al-Awlaki “years ago.”
- Law enforcement sources say that the killer was a disciple of local imam Marcus Robertson, aka Abu Taubah. Robertson was released from prison last year. He had previously served as bodyguard to convicted 1993 World Trade Center bombing leader Blind Sheik Omar Abdel Rahman
- Despite claims he was not religious, his imam said he attended his mosque for 13 years, showing up four times a week.
- In 2011 and 2012 he made pilgrimage to Mecca twice.
- He filed a complaint claiming anti-Muslim discrimination after he was rejected by the police academy
- A former co-worker said that “he talked about killing people all the time.”
- The FBI first began their investigation into the killer in 2013 after he made statements about radical Islam.
- Even Obama has said that he was inspired by “extremist information disseminated over the internet”
That’s what the New York Times has to go on right now.
All that, according to the establishment media narrative, leaves the matter of motive “unclear.”
Now let’s see what information the FBI had, as the organization somehow also felt “unclear” on Mateen’s intentions prior to his attack.
The FBI has been quick to absolve itself of any responsibility for the largest terror attack in the U.S. since 9/11. And yet, as I noted here at PJ Media on the day of the attack, this incident is yet another case of what I have termed “Known Wolf” terrorism.
In this case, we don’t have a situation of missed “red flags.”
We have a willful ignoring of the 1,000,000 lumen spotlight shining on the terrorist killer:
FBI says it interviewed suspected Orlando nightclub gunmen 3 times in the past 5 years due to suspected terror links:https://t.co/9iMJEi2pzi
— VICE News (@vicenews) June 12, 2016
— The Hill (@thehill) June 12, 2016
FBI spokesman: FBI investigated Mateen twice, in 2013 and 2014, for threats & possible ties to known suicide bomber https://t.co/4ZeIJn7ejv
— Business Insider (@businessinsider) June 12, 2016
Reuters: FBI chief says Miami office monitored Orlando suspect for 10 months for possible terrorism connection https://t.co/hXuZlf4Qcd
— Cameron Gray (@Cameron_Gray) June 13, 2016
More: Mateen was on Terrorist Screening database when FBI was questioning him. Source says he was removed when FBI closed investigation.
— Mosheh Oinounou (@Mosheh) June 12, 2016
— Karla Ray (@KRayWFTV) June 14, 2016
— The Daily Caller (@DailyCaller) June 13, 2016
BREAKING: CNN reports that gun store in Orlando attempted to warn police about Omar Mateen https://t.co/ucBiMwmuyp
— Twitchy Team (@TwitchyTeam) June 16, 2016
As the investigation into the attack continues, there needs to be a corresponding investigation by Congress as to why these failures by the FBI and the national security establishment repeatedly continue to happen.